collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Britain's greatest ever sportsman/woman  (Read 14918 times)

Online Hillbilly

Re: Britain's greatest ever sportsman/woman
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 01:29:18 AM »
Mary Peters, Llyn Davies, Denise Lewis, David Wilkie - not the greatest but worth a note. Jackie Stewart, Mike Hawthorn, Jim Clark. Joey Dunlop was definitely the bravest/most foolish. Best rugby players wore red dragons in the 70's.

In world terms the best has to be Lennox Lewis. Olympic gold, undisputed heavyweight champion, beat everyone, went out on top, strangely under-appreciated.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 01:49:26 AM »
Hard to really compare team and solo sports.  I know darts is really pushing the limit of the definition of sport, but Phil Taylor would have to be mentioned. 

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 02:48:51 AM »
Mary Peters, Llyn Davies, Denise Lewis, David Wilkie - not the greatest but worth a note. Jackie Stewart, Mike Hawthorn, Jim Clark. Joey Dunlop was definitely the bravest/most foolish. Best rugby players wore red dragons in the 70's.

In world terms the best has to be Lennox Lewis. Olympic gold, undisputed heavyweight champion, beat everyone, went out on top, strangely under-appreciated.

Canadian accent probably doesn't help. Makes him seem like a gun for hire as per KP and Greg Rusedski.  Unfair, in Lennox's case, as he is Cockernee by birth.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 08:02:16 AM »
would you put the likes of Lewis  Hamilton in there?  I am no lover of F1 but it takes a special  talent and nerve.

Leonard  Lewis  in Boxing?   

Will Carling in Rugby Union or Martin Ofiah  in League? 

I already added Hamilton, he has to be included.  I did think of Lewis but as Kevin suggests the accent makes him a hard sell.

I agree with Tom that solo vs team is difficult but I refuse to accept darts (or snooker) on the very simple basis that if you can compete at the very highest level whilst having a beer (and it being totally acceptable) then you're playing a game not a sport.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 08:24:48 AM »
Was Paul McGrath not playing a sport then?

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 09:12:42 AM »
The thing about tennis is that you spend your life in knockout tournaments so you've got to have a lot of resilience to repeatedly come back from finishing slams on a losing note. Especially, as Risso says, in Murray's case as he's playing in an era where two supernaturally talented players are vying for the trophies above him. He's got to be up there for me.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 09:31:48 AM »

He is the very reason I added "and it being totally acceptable" in brackets.

Offline peter w

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 09:49:43 AM »
William MacGregor.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 10:16:39 AM »

Okay, well drinking isn't acceptable in darts or snooker and hasn't been for a very long time.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »
would you put the likes of Lewis  Hamilton in there?  I am no lover of F1 but it takes a special  talent and nerve.

Leonard  Lewis  in Boxing?   

I already added Hamilton, he has to be included.  I did think of Lewis but as Kevin suggests the accent makes him a hard sell.

I agree with Tom that solo vs team is difficult but I refuse to accept darts (or snooker) on the very simple basis that if you can compete at the very highest level whilst having a beer (and it being totally acceptable) then you're playing a game not a sport.
Oh no I was gonna suggest Phil the Power! Chris Hoy has gotta be up there, the most successful British Olympian with an amazing 6 gold medals. Nick Faldo won 6 majors, compared to Murray's 3 to date.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »

Blimey.... Will Carling   :o

He was a good player who happened to be captain and (rumour has it) friends in high places.

I wouldn't say that he was a great rugby player let alone someone to consider as Britain's greatest sportsperson

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 10:37:29 AM »
...anyhow, the answer is CB Fry

Offline paul_e

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 10:54:33 AM »

Blimey.... Will Carling   :o

He was a good player who happened to be captain and (rumour has it) friends in high places.

I wouldn't say that he was a great rugby player let alone someone to consider as Britain's greatest sportsperson

I agree completely, Will Carling isn't even in the top 3 greatest English centres (Guscott, Greenwood and Tindall were all better players than him).

Okay, well drinking isn't acceptable in darts or snooker and hasn't been for a very long time.

It was largely a tongue in cheek comment that I never intended to be called out on but I personally see Darts, Pool, Snooker, Bowling and a bunch of other activities as games rather than sports, that in no minimises the amount of skill involved or the dedication people have to them though.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2016, 12:22:52 PM »
There are loads you can make a case for based on their ability in one sport, but it's why Fry strolls it for me. Played in an FA Cup final and for England in football, played for the Barbarians in rugby, scored a test century for England in cricket, held the world record for long jump and was also an accomplished sprinter, hurdler, javelin chucker, ice skater and golfer.

not forgetting his contribution to the world of art.....as a nude model!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2016, 12:46:37 PM »
No CB Fry for me.  It should be someone who is the best at their sport. Not someone who is quite good at lots of sports.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal