collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ulises de la Cruz  (Read 6918 times)

Offline MorrisNielson

Re: Ulises de la Cruz
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2016, 10:42:10 PM »
Aston Villa scapegoat 2002-2006.
At the time the general feeling was that he played far too many games for us. Probably says more about Mark Delaney’s injury record than his actual playing ability.
My main memory of him was scoring was I thought was a great individual goal in the League Cup (Luton?), only to watch a replay of it showing the ball bobbling about and him somehow ending up in front goal.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 11:45:51 AM »
I always like him.  Never pulled any trees up.  But was a commited pro who was decent going forward and gave us a different option.  One of the better performers in a different period for the club.  That won't make the article though will it? :-X

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 12:29:34 PM »
He used to live about 100 yards from us when he was at Reading, a nice chap, had an impromptu kick about with some of the local kids on the village green one summer.  I believe he's a politician back in Ecuador now?

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
I would rather have a team of players with Ulises De La Cruz's attitude to football and life than a single Micah Richards.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 02:39:42 PM »
Was an okay player, never deserved the 'Useless' tag. But we do love making fullbacks our scapegoats down B6.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 02:51:20 PM »
As others have said, he was OK.  Probably better than most of the full backs we've had this decade though I acknowledge that's hardly awe-inspiring praise. Didn't deserve his nickname and those who used it were tediously unfunny twats.

He also seems to be an excellent human being given his charity work back home.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »
As others have said, he was OK.  Probably better than most of the full backs we've had this decade though I acknowledge that's hardly awe-inspiring praise. Didn't deserve his nickname and those who used it were tediously unfunny twats.

He also seems to be an excellent human being given his charity work back home.

He was poor and thats being kind

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 10:13:39 PM »
Always tried his best even if that wasn't good enough , supported poor people in his home country through his foundation work which has already been mentioned. I seem to remember his hair being dyed various shades of orange on a regular basis : )

Offline myf

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 11:17:41 PM »
Abiding memory is Graham Taylor calling him the Ecuadorian Beckham

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 11:37:26 PM »

Around the same time he said that he wanted to buy Mark Kinsella, original pointer and precursor of Westwood,  together  Matt "Matty" Holland "as a pair".

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 12:06:52 AM »

Around the same time he said that he wanted to buy Mark Kinsella, original pointer and precursor of Westwood,  together  Matt "Matty" Holland "as a pair".

I remember that too.  Always best to ensure you get the better of the two first, lest you end up being lumbered with the rubbish one by himself. 

The only time UDLC looked even half competent was when he played behind Solano, but that was because Solano was extremely good, it took a lot of pressure of the full back.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2016, 07:20:02 AM »
I really liked Ulises he had a warm smile and a professional attitude.

He was adored in his homeland, my buddy worked with an Ecuadorian lad who started to follow Villa with us. We used to meet in their Ecuadorian Restaurant on the Holloway Road.

Offline peter w

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »

I remember that too.  Always best to ensure you get the better of the two first, lest you end up being lumbered with the rubbish one by himself. 

The only time UDLC looked even half competent was when he played behind Solano, but that was because Solano was extremely good, it took a lot of pressure of the full back.

See Cascarino T

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »
My abiding memory is that first Blues league game in 16 years. He hit a thunderous shot out of nowhere that rattled the bar when it was still 0-0. That was about as good as it got that night.

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2016, 12:06:38 PM »
Known for doing a lot of charity work in impoverished areas of Ecuador.

A decent if not great right-back.

Have a vague memory of him beating about 4 opposition players at home, but can't remember if he scored or not. It was attacking the North Stand anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal