collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ulises de la Cruz  (Read 6922 times)

Offline Kevin_Yahoo

Ulises de la Cruz
« on: July 09, 2016, 04:10:41 PM »
I'm writing an article about Ulises de la Cruz (it's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get fans' memories about him as a player. Any memories/stories you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at Villa Park.

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website this month. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be. All quotes used will be credited to Heroes and Villains.

Some of you may recall I wrote something similar about Alpay last season: https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/blast-past-no-15-alpay-144758636.html

Cheers!
Kevin

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
Re: Ulises de la Cruz
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 04:19:08 PM »
I remember him being presented to the fans at an Intertoto Cup game and he was wearing a white suit.

I remember a good goal he scored against Charlton.

I remember a great long distance effort against he bar he had against small heath in the game we lost 3-0.

I remember him being pretty poor overall and picking up the nickname 'Useless' De La Cruz but that may have been slightly harsh.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 05:02:59 PM »
I recall him having a brilliant World Cup in 2006, to the extent that I wanted us to keep him despite him being mediocre to the point of infinity. Then O'Leary fucked off, O'Neill came in and I thought he'd be no great loss on our relentless march to global domination.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 05:17:45 PM »
He linked up well with Angel and Solano down the right, though his defensive positioning was weak. I remember that the OPTA stats fir the last O'Leary season had him as our best passer/crosser. Not the greatest but the Useless tag was undeserved.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 06:05:37 PM »
I've got one really good memory of UDLC

Away at Middlesbrough, hanging on at 1-1 with ten men after diving George got Solano sent off.

Tommy Sorensen and the Villa defence had been stoic in holding Boro and in injury time we managed to break out.

UDLC took it forward and hit a shot with the outside of his foot that the keeper could only parry into the path of Peter Crouch who scored and won us the game.

Away end pandemonium followed and the end of the game saw the Villa players lined up together singing the "Pigbag" tune that we'd temporarily nicked off them.

Happy days. Feel free to use that one mate!

Online Clampy

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »

Away at Middlesbrough, hanging on at 1-1 with ten men after diving George got Solano sent off.

Tommy Sorensen and the Villa defence had been stoic in holding Boro and in injury time we managed to break out.

UDLC took it forward and hit a shot with the outside of his foot that the keeper could only parry into the path of Peter Crouch who scored and won us the game.

Away end pandemonium followed and the end of the game saw the Villa players lined up together singing the "Pigbag" tune that we'd temporarily nicked off them.

Blimey, I remember that and you're right, the away end went mental.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 06:11:32 PM »
He was a philanthropist and I believe funded a project for running water in his village.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 06:20:07 PM »
Yes, he did.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 06:25:47 PM »
And sent money home monthly to help his village build schools etc.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 06:51:33 PM »
I remember sitting in the Lower Doug and some bloke calling him "Useless" for the entire match. I wanted to punch him (the bloke not DLC).

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 07:32:34 PM »
Always thought he was a decent bloke; tried hard, although limited. Harshly treated by some fans, never deserved that useless tag.

I came on here to see if there were any updates on Tshibola, instead there's John Carew and Ulises De La Cruz. I thought I was having a life on mars moment. :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:36:51 PM by johnny from donny »

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 07:33:44 PM »
I remember trying to get these song started for him but got laughed at. Rightly so too.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 07:39:20 PM »

Blimey, I remember that and you're right, the away end went mental.

Yep. We were down the front and Crouch ran right up to us. Several Villa fans including my mate were arrested and banged up simply for celebrating with Crouch next to the advertising boards. The local police were complete bastards.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 08:55:25 PM »
Would be remembered as a better player if his first name had been Bob or Brian and not one easily morphed into a demeaning nickname

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 10:14:18 PM »
Absolutely. I used to hate those knobs who would shout out "useless", then look around for mob approval.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal