collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aaron Tshibola  (Read 119761 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Aaron Tshibola - On loan to non league fitba
« Reply #600 on: September 27, 2018, 11:58:44 AM »
I agree with all of that but my point is that I don't necessarily think it's about the money in this case. Tish doing well at Kilmarnock (for example) might get a move to the championship or similar, if he sticks with Villa, gets a chance and takes it and he opens up a lot more options. I'm not saying he would take but if he believes he's good enough to play for us regularly then I can see the appeal of sticking it out from a career perspective regardless of any financial benefits.

Someone who's had a top flight career and is on their way down (Gabby, Richards, etc) I have less sympathy because they should know that many of those options are gone, that's where a desire to play games versus a desire to earn money becomes a big question and we've had far too many players who've chosen the money in the last 10 years, which is a big part of why we're mid-table in the 2 division.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #601 on: September 27, 2018, 12:18:58 PM »
I agree with all of that but my point is that I don't necessarily think it's about the money in this case. Tish doing well at Kilmarnock (for example) might get a move to the championship or similar, if he sticks with Villa, gets a chance and takes it and he opens up a lot more options. I'm not saying he would take but if he believes he's good enough to play for us regularly then I can see the appeal of sticking it out from a career perspective regardless of any financial benefits.

Someone who's had a top flight career and is on their way down (Gabby, Richards, etc) I have less sympathy because they should know that many of those options are gone, that's where a desire to play games versus a desire to earn money becomes a big question and we've had far too many players who've chosen the money in the last 10 years, which is a big part of why we're mid-table in the 2 division.

I might be cynical, but I'm not so sure Paul.  Even with a new manager, I would say his chances of playing regularly for us are very slim.  I might be being a bit harsh, but he is playing regular football for a manager he clearly gets on with while pocketing his full salary.  Why would he want to give that up and earn less until he has to? 

Not blaming him by the way, we are the ones that gave him that contract.       

Online paul_e

« Reply #602 on: September 27, 2018, 12:31:13 PM »

I might be cynical, but I'm not so sure Paul.  Even with a new manager, I would say his chances of playing regularly for us are very slim.  I might be being a bit harsh, but he is playing regular football for a manager he clearly gets on with while pocketing his full salary.  Why would he want to give that up and earn less until he has to? 

I think that's largely the same point, there's very little incentive (either in terms of playtime or finance) for him to go anywhere permanently right now because staying with us gives him more options, one of which was to go back on loan to Kilmarnock and I'd hope that any young (ish) player who goes out on loan does so with half an eye on it giving him a chance at coming back and getting into the team.

Remember this all started from the mention of professional pride and I stand by my belief that it's not fair, currently, to question him over that. I doubt his wages are huge so I don't have any issue with the contract we've given him, my concern is that we signed (for a decent amount of money) a 21 year old with about 30 games to his name, played him 7-8 times and then dumped him with very little attempt to improve him with coaching or get any return on that investment. I have the same issue with how we've handled Bree as well.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #603 on: September 27, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned but 'fitba'? Why?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #604 on: September 27, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »

I think that's largely the same point, there's very little incentive (either in terms of playtime or finance) for him to go anywhere permanently right now because staying with us gives him more options, one of which was to go back on loan to Kilmarnock and I'd hope that any young (ish) player who goes out on loan does so with half an eye on it giving him a chance at coming back and getting into the team.

Remember this all started from the mention of professional pride and I stand by my belief that it's not fair, currently, to question him over that. I doubt his wages are huge so I don't have any issue with the contract we've given him, my concern is that we signed (for a decent amount of money) a 21 year old with about 30 games to his name, played him 7-8 times and then dumped him with very little attempt to improve him with coaching or get any return on that investment. I have the same issue with how we've handled Bree as well.

Agree with that Paul, but I think in Tshibola's case, his loan spells at Forest and MK Dons hardly pointed at a player trying to prove himself and get himself back in the reckoning.  I do agree that Bruce doesn't seem to have handled the younger members of the first team squad well though and as a result we haven't seen much in terms of development from many of them.

The point about professional pride was a wider one really.  It used to be the case that one of the worst things that could happen to a player was to be frozen out or sent to 'train with the kids' and their professional pride meant that they were soon wanting to leave the club.  Managers knew that and it was a useful and effective tactic.  That doesn't seem to be the case any more and players are quite happy run their contracts down sitting in the stands as long as they keep pocketing their money.  Tshibola has gone out loan, so it might be a bit unfair to put him in that category, but we've certainly had a few over recent years who are.   

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:22:36 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #605 on: September 27, 2018, 01:41:18 PM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned but 'fitba'? Why?

Bloody Jocks.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #606 on: September 29, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »
Bruce is rubbish in these situations. He discards players and undermines their confidence,  especially the younger players. You can see it happening with Bree and O'Hare. Get rid of this idiot of a manager!

Online FatSam

« Reply #607 on: July 21, 2019, 08:23:42 PM »
So Tshibola was invited back for the start of pre-season training, but wasn’t taken on the US trip. Whereas Lansbury, Hogan, Bree and Bjarnason seem to be in contention for a place in this season’s squad, does that mean Tshibola is definitely not going to be involved? I was hoping that he was going to miraculously reinvent himself and save us £15m, but I suppose 3 years of underachievement is an indication that he’s another one that we probably need to draw the line under. If so, he wasn’t as expensive a mistake as Ross McCormack, but still £5m that could have been better spent under Di Matteo.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #608 on: July 21, 2019, 08:51:46 PM »
Was it only £5m if he met all milestones?  I'd be surprised if he met any of them.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #609 on: July 21, 2019, 09:55:13 PM »
I wonder if it will be a contract variation, like McCormack and just get rid.  Clearly not rated by Dean. 

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #610 on: July 22, 2019, 09:05:45 AM »
another RDM masterwank.

Online eamonn

« Reply #611 on: July 22, 2019, 09:07:30 AM »
Steve Clarke pushed him into it, mind.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #612 on: July 22, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »
Apart from McKirdy and Adomah have any of our released players found a home yet?

Must be premiership sized wages putting suitors off the likes of Jedi / Whelan - maybe one of them or both will rock up for Brucastle?

Online paul_e

« Reply #613 on: July 22, 2019, 01:42:21 PM »
Apart from McKirdy and Adomah have any of our released players found a home yet?

Must be premiership sized wages putting suitors off the likes of Jedi / Whelan - maybe one of them or both will rock up for Brucastle?

Plenty of them have. RDL is back in Belgium, Elphick is with Huddersfield, Knibbs at Cmabridge, Blackett-Taylor to Tranmere, Prosser to Kidderminster.

Other than that you have Richards, Bunn, Jedi and Whelan all struggling because they are, for differing reasons, semi-retired, I wouldn't be surprised to see Whelan get a club but the rest all look unlikely to me. That leaves Hutton who will end up somewhere and McCormack who will struggle but will find someone desperate eventually.

Online eamonn

« Reply #614 on: July 22, 2019, 03:06:17 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if McCormack announced his retirement.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal