collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:46:41 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 09:44:28 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:44:28 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:41:15 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 09:39:19 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:36:02 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 09:35:07 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 09:34:54 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Andrew Stone  (Read 7648 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Andrew Stone
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 07:24:42 PM »
It also takes two sides to make a deal.  The vast bulk of the money we spent last season was for Benteke whose value has halved. What has been the less wasteful business?   Reilly's group or Christian Benteke's collapse in value at Liverpool?

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 07:42:44 PM »
I don't get this angst towards Reilly

Nearly all of the new recruits last year
Ayew
Amavi
Gana
Vertout
Gestede

Most are hopeful they stay

The likes of Richards and Lescott I assume were not scouted as such as they were clearly Sherwoods influence

So what did he actually do to justify the shit?
He was given far too much sway on player recruitment. Admittedly not his fault but the end result was catastrophic for the club. Ray Wilkins is quoted as saying that TS had very different ideas as to recruitments and rebuilding the team. It caused a massive rift in the squad that set us on the slippery slope to relegation. I repeat it was probably not his fault as he was given a brief to follow but it backfired and people hold him responsible.
Oh and welcome Andrew Stone. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:45:51 PM by The Edge »

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »
If he can be instrumental in putting in place the conveyor belt of talent that Southampton have enjoyed in the past few seasons, I'll be very happy.

Offline Boz

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 09:05:02 AM »
It also takes two sides to make a deal.  The vast bulk of the money we spent last season was for Benteke whose value has halved. What has been the less wasteful business?   Reilly's group or Christian Benteke's collapse in value at Liverpool?

His value hasn't collapsed too much, if Crystal Palace's bid of £31m that I saw in the media yesterday is correct.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 10:15:52 AM »
Plus they would/will sell for more than £40 million.

I very much doubt that, unless the next club Reilly joins buys them. The only one we'd make a profit on is Ayew.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 10:35:56 AM »
Gana, Veretout and Gestede are definitely worth less than we paid for them. Throw in Traore who I'd say is worth less than we paid at this moment in time too.

If Amavi has a good 6 months now he's fit again we may get our money back on him, I'd say Ayew we'd roughly break even or make a small profit.

Overall we'd make a fair loss on last summer's signings from abroad.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 10:37:55 AM »

I very much doubt that, unless the next club Reilly joins buys them. The only one we'd make a profit on is Ayew.

Really? Good seasons by Amavi and Veretout will ensure at least break-evens with them, and with Amavi, probably a profit. All the rumours for Gana have generally quoted him at a price near the 8 million we paid. Gestede could go either way and the list of potential suitors is pretty limited, but goalscoring ability at Championship level + Championship clubs having money these days puts a floor on how low his value could fall.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 10:56:32 AM »

We're working in a marketplace where Ashley Westwood is apparently attracting bids of £6m. I'm guessing you wouldn't have predicted that at the end of the season?

I certainly don't expect us to sell the likes of Amavi, Veretout and Adama at a loss, because why would we want to?

We'll make a profit, break even or they'll stay.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 11:04:50 AM »

Really?

No, Reilly

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 11:08:34 AM »
Gana, Veretout and Gestede are definitely worth less than we paid for them. Throw in Traore who I'd say is worth less than we paid at this moment in time too.

If Amavi has a good 6 months now he's fit again we may get our money back on him, I'd say Ayew we'd roughly break even or make a small profit.

Overall we'd make a fair loss on last summer's signings from abroad.

You can't say whether we'll lose on them or not until they're sold. This time last week Liverpool supporters would have been thinking about a hefty loss on Benteke.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 11:10:33 AM »
In a world where James Tomkins has just fetched £12m I'd wouldn't rule out any ridiculous fee for our players.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 11:24:47 AM »
In a world where James Tomkins has just fetched £12m I'd wouldn't rule out any ridiculous fee for our players.

In the same vein don't rule out ridiculous fees  for who we might be trying to bring in.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 11:51:19 AM »
I don't get this angst towards Reilly

Nearly all of the new recruits last year
Ayew
Amavi
Gana
Vertout
Gestede

Most are hopeful they stay

The likes of Richards and Lescott I assume were not scouted as such as they were clearly Sherwoods influence

So what did he actually do to justify the shit?

His job wasn't just to sign players surely? What about our scouting infastructure, surely that is Reilly's responsibility, y'know our Spain scout who was on holiday in Australia and the other one playing championship manager...that might've been Reilly himself I forget.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 01:06:22 PM »

James Tomkins just had a great season playing for a top 8 side. Ours just won 3 out of 38.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 07:24:30 PM »

James Tomkins just had a great season playing for a top 8 side. Ours just won 3 out of 38.

That may be true, I don't know, but he is fucking shit.

Worse than Mark Noble.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal