collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Station  (Read 7153 times)

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
Aston Station
« on: June 28, 2016, 10:52:03 PM »
After 20 years of driving from south Birmingham, parking on the bevington road and walking to VP from there, I've moved to Worcestershire and will begin to take the train to Aston station come August.....

What I would like to know is how safe is the station to and from, is it packed out come 4.45pm, are the trains regular or crap?

Any seasoned travelers amongst the fans?

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
Re: Aston Station
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:57:34 PM »
Quite a variable experience

Brilliant at every 10 minutes on a Saturday, but only half hourly on a Sunday, and trying to get one after a night match can make you lose the will to live.

Although I am going the other way so it might be different - I am sure when I am waiting for a train on a night match there are loads heading back into town, but none going in my direction.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:00:11 PM »
I rarely have much of a wait at any time. If we start winning a few matches and it's worth staying until the end it might be more of a problem, though.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:50 PM »
We have been using it travelling from the south of the city for years. Travelling into town is normally fine but it often gets packed out at New St. It depends where you get on for how regular they are, from Longbridge they are every 10 minutes, if you are coming from further out then they are less frequent.

If you try to get on straight after the game there is usually a massive queue but leave it half an hour and it is fine and the frequency is the same.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »
Train from Stourbridge to Snow Hill. Bus from outside Snow Hill to The Bartons. Bus from The Bartons to Brum after the match. Train from Moor Street back home.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:30:50 AM »
Only got the train back to New St a couple of times (early-mid 2000's) from Aston and both times there was a bit of unpleasantness on the platform. Once was after Arsenal had beaten us, can't remember the other team. Long time ago though and hardly likely to be representative now. whatever it's like these days, it's  probably preferable to losing the will to live whilst trying to get back to the M6.

Offline Holte132

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »
I use Aston station after games, but to go the other way - towards Lichfield. I can honestly say that I have never seen any trouble on either platform. Opposition fans are sometimes on the platform for Birmingham, but not a problem.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 09:52:44 AM »
I can also say the on,y place I have ever (even back in the 80s) seen trouble on my journey to & from Villa Park has been close to the ground, never at Aston station. I think Witton is a bit more unpredictable because it's close to the away end and is used by more away fans.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 10:29:22 AM »
I usually get the train the New Street after the games I don't get any trouble.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:34:14 AM »
I've used Aston Station for years going in the opposite direction, never had any kind of problem and trains on a Saturday are regular. I do tend to have a pint after the game and wait for the queues to die down a little. Its well organised and isn't any different on the opposite platform when I've gone into town rather than home.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »
I've used the cross city line for many years from Selly Oak to Aston and have never experienced any problems but after the game i go in Swan & Mitre over the road for a couple or five pints as their are queues
of considerable length. You don't say where in Worcestershire you are actually coming from but if it is Worcester Foregate St you can get on to the Aston train at University which will save some hassle of the hustle & bustle of New St.
As previous posters have already said trains every 10 minutes, a brilliant service, not so great on Sundays when every 30 minutes.

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 11:52:06 AM »
Go on the londonmidland.com page, put in where you're travelling from & to and it will give you times and train changes.Will also give you info about disruption.Better than network rail train info.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 03:09:15 PM »
Cheers Fellas.

Its actually Redditch to Aston.

It's going to mean I can have more than one pint without having to drive home.  Because I will be taking Remy Jnrs I and II with me now I was a bit concerned the carriages are packed out at full time with the kind of morons from outer space like I witnessed in Paris when Chavski fans pushed that bloke off or the scene from Rise of the foot-soldier on the Inter city whatsit.

It's all change for me now at VP:

New Manager
New Owner
New Kit
New Players
New League
New teams to play
New optimism
New way to get to games

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »
I've taken my 5 year old a couple of times no problem

Online gnrpoison

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 04:17:55 PM »
Cheers Fellas.

Its actually Redditch to Aston.

It's going to mean I can have more than one pint without having to drive home.  Because I will be taking Remy Jnrs I and II with me now I was a bit concerned the carriages are packed out at full time with the kind of morons from outer space like I witnessed in Paris when Chavski fans pushed that bloke off or the scene from Rise of the foot-soldier on the Inter city whatsit.

It's all change for me now at VP:

New Manager
New Owner
New Kit
New Players
New League
New teams to play
New optimism
New way to get to games

On average I think the journey takes about 40 - 50 mins as I go from Redditch direct, until the new owners had taken over I would have recommended the pub by Redditch train station to have a drink in but its gone a bit downhill now. Had no real trouble at Aston station apart from pranksters throwing snowballs at the Bradford semi and it can get a bit of a wait as it is a small station after the game, so a walk or taxi to new street can be a good decision if it is a busy matchday.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal