collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Rory
[Today at 02:36:36 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dr X to buy other clubs  (Read 9637 times)

Offline el león Benidorm

• GM : 28.05.2015
Re: Dr X to buy other clubs
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 12:59:43 PM »
I can't wait till we start winning again and LTA stops posting.

He contributes nothing but gloom and misery.

Oh I don't know.

He/She gives me a 5 minute mental workout trying to come up with appropriate meanings for LTA.

I always get stuck with Laughably and Tedious and I'm starting to run out of suitable A's as well.

There are quite a few that spring to mind... asswipe and analfelcher are just two.

Sorry if people are offended by the above sentence. It was the incorrect use of ellipses, but it emphasised my point.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 01:03:04 PM »
I may possibly have dreamed this as I can't find anything on the internet now, but didn't we have some sort of tie up deal with Rhyl FC?  Knowing Ellis, it would have for free static caravan provision in the holidays.

Birmingham Post

December 5, 2000

FOOTBALL: VILLA PLAN WIDENING ACADEMIC PURSUITS

BYLINE: Michael Ward

Youngsters like Gareth Barry could come through the new Villa academy in North Wales
Aston Villa are in the throes of setting up a junior academy at Rhyl Football Club to develop the cream of young talent in North Wales.

The partnership between the Premiership giants and the League of Wales outfit is designed to nurture potential stars of the future aged between nine to 16, with Rhyl acting as the springboard for their elevation to the big-time.

Provision has been made for Villa to stand the cost of building, staffing and running the academy, which would enable Rhyl to field the pick of emerging players before their intended graduation to Villa's Premiership ranks.

Villa have a similar academy up and running at Motherwell in Scotland and the club have earmarked other sites on the continent as part of their commitment to developing young talent. Brian Jones, director of the Aston Villa Academy based at Bodymoor Heath and the man who discovered Gareth Barry when he was at Brighton, confirmed the link with Rhyl last night.
'We felt we needed to establish some kind of base in Wales and Wyn Jones, our chief scout in the North West, has good contacts at Rhyl,' Jones said. 'Everton have linked up with Colwyn Bay further up the coast and we're in the process of negotiating to set up a similar partnership with Rhyl. They have a good infrastructure in place there and I was impressed with their professionalism.'

The Welsh club's managing director, Peter Parry, revealed yesterday: 'The links between Aston Villa and ourselves will be much stronger than any previous tie-ups that have been seen up and down the country.

'Talks have been going on for some time between the two clubs and we are very close to sealing the agreement. The benefits are two-way, with Villa establishing a strong foothold in North Wales and Rhyl enjoying the advantages of being associated with a big-name Premiership club.

'It is a very exciting prospect, not just for Rhyl, but for all young players in North Wales. The structure will depend on the European Union's ruling on transfers and I will be meeting Villa chairman Doug Ellis to iron out the details in the near future.'

As part of the goodwill exercise, Villa are sending a strong reserve-team squad to Belle Vue tonight for a friendly game against Rhyl's first team, whose League of Wales fixture at Caersws at the weekend had to be postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 01:04:27 PM »
So he's going to buy more clubs, but insists he will spend all his time here?  Utter rubbish.  This whole takeover is doomed to failure. 

The takeover you said wouldn't happen? You've been proved wrong (yet again) and made yourself look stupid (yet again).

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 01:21:31 PM »
I may possibly have dreamed this as I can't find anything on the internet now, but didn't we have some sort of tie up deal with Rhyl FC?  Knowing Ellis, it would have for free static caravan provision in the holidays.

Birmingham Post

December 5, 2000

Youngsters like Gareth Barry could come through the new Villa academy in North Wales
Aston Villa are in the throes of setting up a junior academy at Rhyl Football Club to develop the cream of young talent in North Wales.

The partnership between the Premiership giants and the League of Wales outfit is designed to nurture potential stars of the future aged between nine to 16, with Rhyl acting as the springboard for their elevation to the big-time.

Provision has been made for Villa to stand the cost of building, staffing and running the academy, which would enable Rhyl to field the pick of emerging players before their intended graduation to Villa's Premiership ranks.

Villa have a similar academy up and running at Motherwell in Scotland and the club have earmarked other sites on the continent as part of their commitment to developing young talent. Brian Jones, director of the Aston Villa Academy based at Bodymoor Heath and the man who discovered Gareth Barry when he was at Brighton, confirmed the link with Rhyl last night.
'We felt we needed to establish some kind of base in Wales and Wyn Jones, our chief scout in the North West, has good contacts at Rhyl,' Jones said. 'Everton have linked up with Colwyn Bay further up the coast and we're in the process of negotiating to set up a similar partnership with Rhyl. They have a good infrastructure in place there and I was impressed with their professionalism.'

The Welsh club's managing director, Peter Parry, revealed yesterday: 'The links between Aston Villa and ourselves will be much stronger than any previous tie-ups that have been seen up and down the country.

'Talks have been going on for some time between the two clubs and we are very close to sealing the agreement. The benefits are two-way, with Villa establishing a strong foothold in North Wales and Rhyl enjoying the advantages of being associated with a big-name Premiership club.

'It is a very exciting prospect, not just for Rhyl, but for all young players in North Wales. The structure will depend on the European Union's ruling on transfers and I will be meeting Villa chairman Doug Ellis to iron out the details in the near future.'

As part of the goodwill exercise, Villa are sending a strong reserve-team squad to Belle Vue tonight for a friendly game against Rhyl's first team, whose League of Wales fixture at Caersws at the weekend had to be postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.

Bloody hell Chico, where did you dig that out from?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2016, 01:26:07 PM »

Oh I don't know.

He/She gives me a 5 minute mental workout trying to come up with appropriate meanings for LTA.

I always get stuck with Laughably and Tedious and I'm starting to run out of suitable A's as well.

Love the Albion.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »

Oh I don't know.

Loves to agrivate?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »
Complaining for a second time that the new owner has ambitious plans is some going.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 01:35:25 PM »
So he's going to buy more clubs, but insists he will spend all his time here?  Utter rubbish.  This whole takeover is doomed to failure.  At least see if he can run one club first before taking on others. 
Yawn.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2016, 01:36:44 PM »
If we get promoted, and I acknowledge it's a big "if", we will already be behind our competitors due to the extra year(s) of Premier League money they'll have accrued. If we can find other ways to get a financial advantage over them we should go for it.
I would hope that this will be marginalised if we come straight back up. We will have a lot of players wages cut by relegation clauses which I honestly dont think will be reflected in lowered matchday income. Infact, the extra games should make up the difference. Im sure we get like 30m parachute for going down as well dont we? The extra money in the PL is well documented and I can see alot of clubs having to pay over the odds for average players from the continent.

Coupled with the fresh injection of cash from Dr X and the writing off of debts, we may even be comparably better off than when we went down IF we make it back up at first time of asking. Our problem over the last 10 years has not been a lack of cash but more a lack of idea of how best to use it.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2016, 01:48:04 PM »
Complaining for a second time that the new owner has ambitious plans is some going.

While I'm no Matlock, my investigation into this recent matter suggests that no proper Villa fan is going to think, let alone say those things.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »
I guess the closest comparison we have right now are the Pozzos, right? Seems like they've done alright juggling the three of them.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2016, 02:45:34 PM »

Birmingham Post

December 5, 2000

Bloody hell Chico, where did you dig that out from?

Nice work Chico, you should be working at GCHQ!  Glad to see I'm not going mad, any road.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2016, 02:49:10 PM »
Like Risso I recall the Man U - Antwerp link, but I don't recall it leading to anything. Are there any examples of this arrangement working between different countries as opposed to the feeder club system in Italy?

I know Watford have a link via their owner with an Italian club (Udinese?) but I am not too sure what that gives them. Presumably the option to push players to England - if so is it a case of Watford having first dibs and how much say does the player have in coming?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2016, 03:03:44 PM »
I guess the closest comparison we have right now are the Pozzos, right? Seems like they've done alright juggling the three of them.

Yes I know they have got stick of loaning a huge amount of players when they were in the championship but it worked out very well for Watford, they got some very good international standard players in the championship for very little in transfer fees.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2016, 03:15:26 PM »
Like Risso I recall the Man U - Antwerp link, but I don't recall it leading to anything. Are there any examples of this arrangement working between different countries as opposed to the feeder club system in Italy?

I know Watford have a link via their owner with an Italian club (Udinese?) but I am not too sure what that gives them. Presumably the option to push players to England - if so is it a case of Watford having first dibs and how much say does the player have in coming?

Man U had had loads of youth players spend time at Antwerp, including Jonny Evans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal