collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dr X to buy other clubs  (Read 9653 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Dr X to buy other clubs
« on: June 20, 2016, 11:01:43 AM »
It emerged recently that Xia looked at buying Marseille. Now Wyness quoted that our new owner is looking to buy other clubs to make Villa stronger by establishing networks across the world. Amazing to think how shorter sighted Randy became versus this new approach and attitude.

Chief executive Keith Wyness: Aston Villa in talks to buy foreign clubs

Incoming chief executive Keith Wyness has confirmed Tony Xia is in active discussions to buy other clubs as the new owner aims to make Villa a global force.

Clubs in India, the USA, Australia and China are thought to have been identified as potential franchises as Xia looks to replicate the success of Manchester City.

Several franchises operate under the City Football Group banner including New York City in the MLS and Melbourne City in Australia’s A-League. Wyness said: “It’s similar. The idea is to have a comprehensive pool of talent and abilities to take players up through different stages of club experience.

“Depending on their age, development, talent. Give yourself that opportunity to monitor the talent very closely wherever they are.

“It won’t be announced this week but we’re in active discussions that’s all I can say. Every club has different factors but we have identified a number and we are in discussions.”

Xia hopes to make Villa the most popular club in China and Wyness, whose appointment is expected to be approved by the Football League later this week, wants to make the most of their marketing potential in the Far East.

He said: “We’ve got an opportunity to be the best in the business.”

Offline Eckybloke

• GM : 06.06.2019
Re: Dr X to buy other clubs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:04:04 AM »
It's like real-life cheating at Football Manager.  Maybe Tony has realised how hard it will be to punt the likes of Gabby so will buy these other teams so they can buy the dross at good prices.....

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:04:51 AM »
It emerged recently that Xia looked at buying Marseille. Now Wyness quoted that our new owner is looking to buy other clubs to make Villa stronger by establishing networks across the world. Amazing to think how shorter sighted Randy became versus this new approach and attitude.

Chief executive Keith Wyness: Aston Villa in talks to buy foreign clubs

Incoming chief executive Keith Wyness has confirmed Tony Xia is in active discussions to buy other clubs as the new owner aims to make Villa a global force.

Clubs in India, the USA, Australia and China are thought to have been identified as potential franchises as Xia looks to replicate the success of Manchester City.

Several franchises operate under the City Football Group banner including New York City in the MLS and Melbourne City in Australia’s A-League. Wyness said: “It’s similar. The idea is to have a comprehensive pool of talent and abilities to take players up through different stages of club experience.

“Depending on their age, development, talent. Give yourself that opportunity to monitor the talent very closely wherever they are.

“It won’t be announced this week but we’re in active discussions that’s all I can say. Every club has different factors but we have identified a number and we are in discussions.”

Xia hopes to make Villa the most popular club in China and Wyness, whose appointment is expected to be approved by the Football League later this week, wants to make the most of their marketing potential in the Far East.

He said: “We’ve got an opportunity to be the best in the business.”

Do you reckon he'll only buy European clubs that he's supported for years?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 11:05:12 AM »
Copied my thoughts from the other thread to save time...

Sounds pretty cool to me.

It'll make foreign leagues more interesting if there is a Kolkata/Guangzhou/Seattle/Melbourne Villa to cheer for. It would presumably put to bed any rumours about our owners not having sufficient capital.

To compete long-term at the very top we would need to expand our global fanbase massively and this is one way of doing that.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 11:05:24 AM »
Hopefully he'll buy the B.lues, knock the swamp down and use it as a park and ride for the new Aston Theme Park

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 11:05:24 AM »

This could be added to the masturbation thread?

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 11:11:41 AM »
Let's build a club worthy of the brand first eh ?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 11:15:36 AM »
If we get promoted, and I acknowledge it's a big "if", we will already be behind our competitors due to the extra year(s) of Premier League money they'll have accrued. If we can find other ways to get a financial advantage over them we should go for it.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 11:16:22 AM »

I think we should become the biggest team in China before we start thinking about European and US franchises. Small steps and all that....

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »

My thoughts although franchising will inevitably happen under this ownership.

Didn't we from memory have some sort of tie in with a Danish club about 10 years ago? Don't think much came of that.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 11:31:51 AM »
I won't be convinced until he gets a tattoo.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 11:38:15 AM »
I may possibly have dreamed this as I can't find anything on the internet now, but didn't we have some sort of tie up deal with Rhyl FC?  Knowing Ellis, it would have for free static caravan provision in the holidays.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 11:38:50 AM »
I'm all for this and I'd like to see a couple of european clubs from the 'b' leagues as well (Holland, Belgium, Portugal, etc) because they're the ones where being able to send our youth players over for a year will help their development massively and it also gives us a fantastic scouting base to work with to get the best young talent in those countries.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 11:39:01 AM »

My thoughts although franchising will inevitably happen under this ownership.

Didn't we from memory have some sort of tie in with a Danish club about 10 years ago? Don't think much came of that.

Yes I was just thinking of that too.  Couldn't find any info on that either though.

Offline peter w

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 11:40:26 AM »
I bet it's getting quieter over in Bordesley.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal