collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tom Ross  (Read 10985 times)

Offline peter w

Re: Tom Ross
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 10:35:22 PM »
Tom's a nice chap. He's a friend of the family so i'm kind of biased but he's 10 times as good and unbiased as those clowns over at the BBC who are supposedly meant to be supporting their local teams will ever will be.

Enjoy your retirement Tom.

His daughter is married to my mate's wife's brother. So I win.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 10:47:22 PM »
I have nostalgic memories of listening to him on BRMB in the 80s and early 90s, but once Gavin left, he didn't really have the personality or dynamism to keep me interested in his phone-ins, which seemed to be people asking about Bronx hats, or people taking the piss.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 12:59:22 AM »
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 01:01:06 AM by Pete3206 »

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 12:05:20 PM »
It sounds like his life story, doesn't seem to be a lot of Villa stuff there.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 12:12:55 PM »
I don't blame him for a bit of self indulgence. He is a nose after all.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »
Yep I loved his battles with George Gavin and fair play to him for covering that lot for all those years. I don't ever recall being disrespectful to us. Good luck on your retirement Tom.

I think they both fell out towards the end, but they were great to listen to. I think Mr Woodhall interviewed him for H&V for one edition.

In 1998 or so. We had our differences in the past but we got on and I like to think there was a bit of mutual respect. He supported that lot, wanted all the local clubs to do well and was always honest. Gavin was a twat though.

I thought Gavin was great when covering the Villa games in the early eighties but became a twat when he took over from Tony Butler as the main man and tried to be like Butler. It always came across to me that it was fake whereas it came naturally to Butler.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
Yep I loved his battles with George Gavin and fair play to him for covering that lot for all those years. I don't ever recall being disrespectful to us. Good luck on your retirement Tom.

I think they both fell out towards the end, but they were great to listen to. I think Mr Woodhall interviewed him for H&V for one edition.

In 1998 or so. We had our differences in the past but we got on and I like to think there was a bit of mutual respect. He supported that lot, wanted all the local clubs to do well and was always honest. Gavin was a twat though.

I thought Gavin was great when covering the Villa games in the early eighties but became a twat when he took over from Tony Butler as the main man and tried to be like Butler. It always came across to me that it was fake whereas it came naturally to Butler.

The point was made many times. Butler was a one-off and Gavin tried too hard to be outrageous. Ross was, like Butler, natural and didn't try to emulate his predecessors.

Online Clampy

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 12:19:49 PM »
I liked Gavin, although I was a teenager at the time him and Tom Ross were at each other's throats on air, I thought it made good listening but it didn't occur to me at the time he was trying to emulate Butler.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 12:29:38 PM »
Pretty sure he's an OAP now, so thought he would retire, so he could spend his retirement, following his beloved Blues home and away. But perhaps he still needs the money.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 12:33:15 PM »
Pretty sure he's an OAP now, so thought he would retire, so he could spend his retirement, following his beloved Blues home and away. But perhaps he still needs the money.

If it was a choice between that or death...

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »
Ross is an awful commentator....would scream like it was a goal when a throw in was awarded on half way line.

Above that though he was passionate about WM football and would always promote it in the media. He was bang on about Sky aswell and how football fans are treated now e.g the games has never been richer and the fans never been poorer.

I probably most respect him for stating who he actually supports and getting on with things...unlike our "friends" on WM.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2016, 01:48:27 PM »
Apart from the fact he was a nose i did not mind him or his radio phone in and am sad to see him give up his Friday phone in. I take it he will not be replaced ,so at least my girl friend will be happy as she use to hate me ignoring her for a hour every Friday tea time

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2016, 03:49:23 PM »
Maybe he loves his job more than his beloved Blues?

Offline Dave Pountney

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2016, 08:56:26 PM »
I've got be honest, I never warmed to Ross and thought him a broadcasting mediocrity. He lacked credibility too because of his overt association with and support for Small Heath. The genius of Butler, the true pioneer of footballing phone-ins and match day live score updates, was his lack of partisanship. Blues fans thought he was a Wolves fan, Albion fans thought he was a Villa fan, Wolves fans thought he was Blues fan, and so on. He got everybody at it and unlike Ross realised that the power of local football coverage was to get fans of all the region's clubs to want to tune in. Ross turned the show he inherited from Gavin into a programme only really enjoyed by Blues fans and its inclusive appeal waned. The march of technology, and the loss of novelty, contributed to its decline too but I spoke to legions of Villa fans who stopped listening to Ross decades ago. What was once a must-listen Friday and Saturday evening phone-in became something to avoid. Ross was a major factor in all that and I was staggered that BRMB and Capital kept him going for so long.

I bow to the testimonials of those who knew him and say what a decent fellow he is, and I have to admit I only knew his broadcasting persona, but he came across to me as a not particularly nice piece of work when the mask occasionally slipped. I never bought the jolly Tom the champion of West Midlands football. There was always something a bit phoney about him to me.

I stopped listening to him regularly about 15 years ago, but he's no loss to me at all.

Offline peter w

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »
I agree with the first paragraph but not necessarily the second.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal