collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Thank you Steve Hollis  (Read 8027 times)

Offline peter w

Re: Thank you Steve Hollis
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2016, 01:25:30 PM »
I think his full worth won't be appreciated and recognised until Xia has become the owner we all hope and wish for.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 01:30:19 PM »
Crikey - opinions change pretty quickly around here!

Isn't this the same Steve Hollis who effectively chucked the towel in on fighting relegation back in January, made dozens/hundreds of people redundant a couple of months ago, made the decision to shut the Upper Trinity for next season, and thought that a token £10 reduction on season ticket prices was acceptable on relegation?

I'm not saying all/some of those things weren't necessary but at the time each of those things happened this place was overwhelmed with condemnation.  Yet now he's gone he's being revered as a visionary.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 01:33:04 PM »

Isn't this the same Steve Hollis who effectively chucked the towel in on fighting relegation back in January, made dozens/hundreds of people redundant a couple of months ago, made the decision to shut the Upper Trinity for next season, and thought that a token £10 reduction on season ticket prices was acceptable on relegation?

I'm not saying all/some of those things weren't necessary but at the time each of those things happened this place was overwhelmed with condemnation.  Yet now he's gone he's being revered as a visionary.

The first maybe although hindsight has changed some views, the second was a necessary and in some cases long overdue evil, the third also makes economic sense (sadly) and the fourth split opinion. Only the first was overwhelmingly condemned at the time.

Offline peter w

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »
The Upper Trinity is closed for next season? Eh? For every game? First I've seen this.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2016, 01:35:47 PM »
I think I will save my thanks and Judge at Christmas , I am hopeful though  :)

Offline bob

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2016, 01:39:25 PM »
I'm nervous about falling all over myself to thank him so emphatically.

It remains to be seen how his decisions will pan out.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 01:50:59 PM »
He wasn't doing it for plaudits.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 02:37:03 PM »
Nor the money. Just for the challenge. Like Buzz Aldrin.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2016, 02:39:14 PM »
Came in as a professional and left as a professional.
Absolutely agree Ron.
When the club absolutely needed real, real business nous, he provided it.

Offline cdward

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
Impressed me with the team he put together, Mervyn King, David Bernstein, Brian Little.
I can't imagine it is/was easy working for Randy, with the General breathing down your neck, but i think he held his own, and brought a level of professionalism and nous that we had been missing.
Hopefully his legacy will be that he oversaw the deal that turned Aston Villa into champions again.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 03:48:36 PM »
A Pat Matthews for the 21st century. Well done, and thank you. 

That would be Percy "Kindly call me Pat" Matthews - as Private Eye put it.   See - even he was reckoned to be a bit shady back in '67  LOL

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2016, 04:08:07 PM »

We do seem to lurch from one extreme view to another. Wasn't he ridiculed by loads of us on here for calling us "customers" a couple of weeks ago?

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2016, 04:19:58 PM »

We do seem to lurch from one extreme view to another. Wasn't he ridiculed by loads of us on here for calling us "customers" a couple of weeks ago?

fickle :-)

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2016, 05:05:12 PM »
Probably the only truly capable individual we've had around the place in the last five years, King and Bernstein notwithstanding due to them not being around too long.  Thanks Steve.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2016, 06:00:31 PM »
Why hasn't Xia kept him on? One of the few competent appointments in the last dire 5 years and he's let go??

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal