collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tommy Elphick - signed for Huddersfield  (Read 151885 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Tommy Elphick
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2016, 12:55:44 PM »
Leeds interested apparently. If we lose him to them it'll be a sickener.
I wouldn't be worried at all. We're now the big fish in this league so if we're in for a player then unless it's a premmove (and maybe Newcastle) to compete against,  then we should be firm favourites to obtain the signature

Could be a bit of negotiation tactics from his agent.
Stepping down from a bit part season for Bournemouth, captain or not he's hardly hot property or anything to get overly excited about one way or other.  If he comes I hope he does well, but I won't be pulling my hair out if he sees himself elsewhere.

What do you mean 'bit part season' with Bournemouth? He's captained them to two promotions so you could say he's ideal for what we need.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »
He's proven to be a leader of a side that in many ways have defied the odds in getting into the PL. He may not be the best CB we'll ever see but what we need as much as talent is good people and leaders. Which is also why I want Stan back at the club in some capacity.

We need to shed the wankers who have shown no leadership at all and get those players who were affected by that believing again that playing for Aston Villa is something they want to do. That joining us actually was a good idea. As much as many of our players let themselves down last season I am convinced a number of them were really affected by the nonsense around them. There's enough talent in this squad to form a decent base and we need to net out by the end of the window with solid additions that will quickly change the entire dynamic of the environment of the playing side of the club.

No more distractions, no more bomb squads, no more tweets and players making complete and utter wankers of themselves. A cohesive unit with only one goal in mind.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2016, 01:41:08 PM »
I wouldn't be worried at all. We're now the big fish in this league so if we're in for a player then unless it's a premmove (and maybe Newcastle) to compete against,  then we should be firm favourites to obtain the signature

Stepping down from a bit part season for Bournemouth, captain or not he's hardly hot property or anything to get overly excited about one way or other.  If he comes I hope he does well, but I won't be pulling my hair out if he sees himself elsewhere.

What do you mean 'bit part season' with Bournemouth? He's captained them to two promotions so you could say he's ideal for what we need.
I mean he didn't play more than a bit part last season.  Obviously this is partly due to injury, but equally he is obviously surplus to their requirements going forward.  I'm hopeful he will be a decent player for us but it's not the sort of signing I'd lose sleep over if it fell out of bed.

Offline supertom

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2016, 02:14:12 PM »

I mean he didn't play more than a bit part last season.  Obviously this is partly due to injury, but equally he is obviously surplus to their requirements going forward.  I'm hopeful he will be a decent player for us but it's not the sort of signing I'd lose sleep over if it fell out of bed.
A perfect signing for where we're at now. I don't think there'll be any players we could get we'd lose sleep over if a deal fell through at the last minute.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »
I think it's been said somewhere on either this or the transfer thread, one of SGT's first (if not the first) signings was Steve Sims, which we all could not believe at the time and in the internet age this site would have gone into meltdown.  he was just what we needed for where we were at the time, and I think Elphick is similar in that respect.  Happy with this.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2016, 04:39:53 PM »
I think it's been said somewhere on either this or the transfer thread, one of SGT's first (if not the first) signings was Steve Sims, which we all could not believe at the time and in the internet age this site would have gone into meltdown.  he was just what we needed for where we were at the time, and I think Elphick is similar in that respect.  Happy with this.

Steve Sims only played half a season for us. Allan Evans and Martin Keown were really the first choice picks. I can't remember why Allan Evans missed the first half of the season, whether it was injury or GT had some issue with him.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2016, 04:45:18 PM »
Its a positive move I welcome.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2016, 07:33:26 PM »
After our last relegation, one of the first signings SGT made was Steve Sims.  I doubt he's anywhere near the Top Forty central halves I've seen playing in the claret-and-blue, but his leadership, experience and no-nonsense approach was part of what was necessary in getting us back.  If Tommy proves to be the 2016 equivalent I'll have no quibbles. 

Offline Diablo

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2016, 09:01:36 PM »
Any more news on this? What's the hold up?

Offline VancouverLion

• GM : 24.01.2016
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2016, 09:10:10 PM »
Leeds threw their hat in

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2016, 09:30:20 PM »
Leeds threw their hat in

im amazed they can afford a hat

more like a cloth cap that a whippet has pissed on

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2016, 12:09:14 AM »
He's a classic OCD type, so I can respect the pregame ritual and that he can openly talk about it.

If he's the player Bournemouth fans claim him to be both on and off the field, then he's exactly the type of signing the club should be making right now.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2016, 12:31:16 AM »
Our first Tommy since..?

Offline peter w

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2016, 12:44:44 AM »
Johnson?

Unless you're using Thomas then it's Hitzlsperger

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020