collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

* The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Recent Posts

Author Topic: Modern Football is Shite part I can't remember what number we're on  (Read 12552 times)

Online Chris Smith

• prolific poster
  • GM : 18.07.2017
Re: Modern Football is Shite part I can't remember what number we're on
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 08:44:12 AM »
Youngsters can already have experience in competitive matches  by going on loan. All but five of the current England squad have played in the Football League either prior to joining a Premier League club or on-loan from one.

The system works fine.

It also provides certain matches for players. Are teams going to not loan out a player so they can play in the Vans Trophy, then risk being knocked out after a round? Far better to loan them to a club where they are likely to play a number of games.

You can't loan them all out.

As I said, it might turn out to be crap but I am not that sure that U21 sides are necessarily going to have it all there own way. One thing that is not clear from your first post is how the 16 are decided on.

Online cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 19.01.2017
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 09:07:27 AM »
I've Googled and more confused now. It just says there are 21 Premier League Academies and 16 will be involved. Presumably this means Villa could be involved after all despite relegation.

As I said before, I won't be attending. It's shite.

It'll be even shiter when these Academy teams are in William McGregor's league.

Online cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 09:21:31 AM »
According to a Liverpool site the teams are:

Arsenal
Chelsea
Crystal Palace
Everton
Hull City
Leicester City
Liverpool
Manchester City
Manchester United
Middlesbrough
Southampton
Stoke City
Sunderland
Tottenham
West Bromwich Albion
West Ham United

They have speculated that Liverpool may reject the chance to take part as it is being played on international weekends so loads of their young players will be off playing with underage international teams.

Hopefully at least half the teams decline the invitation and the Football League scrap the whole idea, or it only lasts a season at most.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:24:58 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline fredm

• reserve
  • GM : 03.12.2016
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 12:47:08 PM »
As previously stated, the thin end of the wedge.  Those in power wish to see "B" teams in the Football League.  This is the first step towards breaking down the opposition to the idea.

Offline peter w

• prolific poster
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 12:04:25 AM »
I think its a good idea because it will help English players develop in proper competitive games, which can only help the England national team. I doubt it will mean lower league teams lose out on anything, if anything it will help bring in revenue for the lower league teams whilst it is highly unlikely that a team of kids will win anything...

Offline JD

• coach
  • GM : July, 2013
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 02:32:55 AM »
I think it's a disgrace and will continue to stifle and kill lower league football. It is a chance for lower league teams to play in a competition which they could have a genuine chance of winning. By doing this, their chances will diminish. 

Online Chris Smith

• prolific poster
  • GM : 18.07.2017
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 08:49:44 AM »
I think it's a disgrace and will continue to stifle and kill lower league football. It is a chance for lower league teams to play in a competition which they could have a genuine chance of winning. By doing this, their chances will diminish. 

Time will tell but I am not so sure that PL U21 teams will dominate as people seem to be assuming. Are inexperienced youngsters really going to find it easy against experienced men, albeit from a lower league?

The format is apparently going to be a group stage of 4 teams playing each other once, with the PL clubs only getting 1 home game, and then a straight knockout.

Offline peter w

• prolific poster
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 09:45:18 AM »
When Arsenal or Man U play kids against lower league teams they tend to lose. Look at MK Donds- Man U , even Exeter run Liverpool close, but even though it's kids the lower league teams pack out their grounds for the visit of the big clubs teams. More money and more interest in the otherwise largely ignored Cup meaning better sponsorship. I can't see who the losers are in this.

Offline fredm

• reserve
  • GM : 03.12.2016
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
But how many Over 21's will there be in the Under 21's team?  How many are allowed to be played in the Under 21's league?

Offline FiveKenMcNaughts

• parks player
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 10:41:43 AM »
When Arsenal or Man U play kids against lower league teams they tend to lose. Look at MK Donds- Man U , even Exeter run Liverpool close, but even though it's kids the lower league teams pack out their grounds for the visit of the big clubs teams. More money and more interest in the otherwise largely ignored Cup meaning better sponsorship. I can't see who the losers are in this.

That's two examples and even one of those didn't lose.

This is the Premier League getting what they want again. The FL/FA have rolled over for the Premier League again. They will dress this up as helping the English National Team. How will Chelsea playing Danish, French and German kids at Morecambe help the English National Team?

Offline peter w

• prolific poster
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 10:50:45 AM »
No they didn't lost but Exeter's players had a harder game and raised their standards more than if they'd have played Accrington, say, who would also have tested players, as would Exeter, for a hitherto otherwise meaningless Cup game. On top of that the attendance would be higher than 600 odd or so. I just don't recognise the criticism of the move.

Offline fbriai

• first team
  • GM : 13.02.2017
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 10:51:27 AM »
I agree with pretty much everything CD says in that OP, apart from it being the thin end of the wedge. I think we were at that point 20 years ago. We are now well past the thin end of that wedge.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• prolific poster
  • GM : 02.08.2016
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2016, 11:46:43 AM »

Yes, in the FA and League Cups lower league teams do pack out the grounds for Big Clubs, even if they know they will be sending loads of kids, but that is due to the prestige of the tournament and because it is still the first team of Man Utd they are playing even if most of the players don't normally play.
 If you think the fans are going to fill the ground for a match against U-21s in the Johnstones Paint Trophy then you are very much mistaken, nearly all fans of lower league clubs are against this move and there are petitions and talks of boycotts.
 Football fans aren't stupid just because they support a smaller club, they know the motives behind this cynical move and they don't like it or want it.

Online Dave

• prolific poster
  • GM : 04.11.2015
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2016, 12:18:05 PM »
ManYoo and Spurs have declined the invitation.

Online cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 01:09:08 PM »
Good for them.