collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

* The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Author Topic: Modern Football is Shite part I can't remember what number we're on  (Read 12545 times)

Offline cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 19.01.2017
This week the English and Scottish Leagues have announced changes to the format of their respective lower-division cup competitions, the Football League Trophy and the Scottish Challenge Cup.

In the case of the latter, they've added the top two clubs from last season's Welsh and Northern Irish leagues. This is a bit mad, but I can live with it.

What I really hate... is that The Football League Trophy is adding sixteen Premier League under-21 teams while the Scottish Challenge Cup is entering all of the Premier Division's under-20 sides.

I struggle to express the Bonoesque levels of hatred I have for this idea.

I know some will say that these are only Mickey Mouse Cups so, why care? To an extent, they are.

However, I think they have merit. Most lower-league clubs have no realistic chance of winning the FA Cup or League Cup. These cups provide a great chance for a smaller club to have a day in the limelight. For fans of the leagues' less-esteemed competitors, victory in these competitions can provide a memory to be cherished for years or decades to come.

For me, the inclusion of the big teams' kids undermines the whole thing. A Southampton under-21s vs Hull under-21s Final will not produce the 60,000 crowd that watched last year's final and it is unlikely that the victors in a match featuring glorified youth teams will celebrate their win years down the line.

Even aside from the issue of crowds and prestige I hate the idea that this enshrines the lower divisions as inferior, and second-rate, worth nothing more than to be fluffers for the main attraction of the all-powerful top-flights.

This will be the thin end of the wedge and will lead, inevitably, to the introduction of underage or 'B' teams into the leagues themselves. Both Greg Dyke and Neil Doncaster have already floated this possibility and remain keen despite near-unanimous opposition from fans.

They're c***s and this idea is cunterry of the cuntiest order.

Apologies for the long rant but I really hate this idea!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:15:11 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline four fornicholl

• international
Re: Modern Football is Shite part I can't remember what number we're on.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 08:28:16 PM »
Tell you what twists my melons about modern football,its when a player rolls the ball forward with the bottom of his boot! aaaaggghhhh, just saying like.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 08:37:20 PM »
Unless my Manc Dictionary is incorrect, I think your melon is your head. So you can only twist more than one of them if you're a Conjoined Twin or Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Offline four fornicholl

• international
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 08:45:18 PM »
I was leaning more towards the Geordie dictionary, as in Buster Gonad, it really does make me aaagghhhh.

Offline four fornicholl

• international
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 08:53:54 PM »
I also agree with all youre gripes about the lower league cups, but at least our under 21s wont spoil the party this year.

Online Meanwood Villa

• international
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 08:57:13 PM »
A shit idea. Genuine question for everyone- would you go to Wembley to watch Villa u-21s in the final? Or indeed would you go to games in earlier rounds?

Offline cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 08:57:26 PM »
I intend to boycott if we get promoted and our under-21s play Walsall, or if we get relegated and our first team play Man Utd under-21s (*shudder).

Offline peter w

• prolific poster
Re: Modern Football is Shite part I can't remember what number we're on
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 10:03:38 PM »
I don't mind this.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 10:19:55 PM »
I don't like you any more.

Online Dave Cooper please

• prolific poster
  • GM : 02.08.2016
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 12:41:52 AM »
It's a shite idea and it's another small step to their aim of getting Premier League 'B' teams into the Football League. (I assume they are having similar thoughts in Scotland as well).
 And no, I very much doubt I would bother watching our U-21s in a Sherpa Vans Trophy game against Fleetwood.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• prolific poster
  • GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 01:21:55 AM »
Shit idea. I'm very much in agreement with CD and Coops.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• player manager
  • GM : 11.07.2017
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 01:58:09 AM »
It's a shite idea and it's another small step to their aim of getting Premier League 'B' teams into the Football League.

Like in Italy - where the "Big Clubs" all have various sides down in Lega Pro, Serie D etc etc
Boo!

Online Chris Smith

• prolific poster
  • GM : 18.07.2017
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 06:46:03 AM »
I can see some merit in it. It gives the PL teams youngsters an opportunity to gain experience in some meaningful matches and it gives the League clubs a chance to play against better players and perhaps raise their game as a consequence. If that improves the overall standard of the competition then it will be worthwhile.

If, on the other hand it ends up with only the U21s being left by the quarter finals then it will just completely undermine the competition.

I would say trial it for a couple of seasons and see which way it has gone.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• prolific poster
  • I still hate Bono.
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 08:36:46 AM »
Youngsters can already have experience in competitive matches  by going on loan. All but five of the current England squad have played in the Football League either prior to joining a Premier League club or on-loan from one.

The system works fine.

It also provides certain matches for players. Are teams going to not loan out a player so they can play in the Vans Trophy, then risk being knocked out after a round? Far better to loan them to a club where they are likely to play a number of games.

Online Meanwood Villa

• international
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 08:42:35 AM »
I think describing these games as "meaningful" is a bit of a stretch as well. I don't think lower league teams are bothered with the competition until there's a sniff of Wembley and this suggestion undermines it even more. There'll be some record breaking low attendances for this competition. Watford u-21s v Accrington anyone?