collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Nathan Baker?  (Read 19122 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Nathan Baker?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 01:44:27 AM »
He has the thunderous tackle in his locker, which can get the team and the crowd going at Villa Park, where we seem to like that class of thing.

I remain convinced, and I know I am in a tiny minority, that the kamikaze aerial challenges were at the behest of TSM2. If I had he energy and determination of some of our younger posters, I would quote Lambore's press interview and tie it up with Baker's more infelicitous interventions.

I think he could be useful if coached correctly and used when necessary.

His thunderous tackles are also red cards waiting to happen.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 02:39:33 AM »
He has the thunderous tackle in his locker, which can get the team and the crowd going at Villa Park, where we seem to like that class of thing.

Aside from a goal, a thunderous tackle is the best thing in football.

Fuck off Platini.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2016, 03:01:35 AM »
I like him and think he can help in the Championship if called upon. Aside from the own goals, head injuries and red cards he's a pretty good defender.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2016, 06:06:57 AM »
He's no worse than any others we've got. They've all got huge mistakes in them. Ideally we'd sign a whole new back 4 and goal keeper.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2016, 07:39:49 AM »
I like him.  I like brave players.  He has two massive advantages.  He is not Lescott and he is not Richards.  If I have got to watch us lose, I would sooner watch players who are not good enough than players who have ability but don't  give a shit.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2016, 07:54:38 AM »
He fits in the Westwood/Clark/Gil category for me - actively look for an upgrade, sell if we get a good offer, but no point giving him away cheaply (unless we really are splashing the cash on really good replacements), and no reason to be extremely upset if he's still around as cover come August.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2016, 08:11:50 AM »
I think his recent drop in stock has been a symptom of the way the club has fallen from grace. I dont think breaking into the first team during the worst period in our recent history has helped and I think given a chance to play when we are on an upward curve would do him good.
Fuck ups can be coached out of players, I hate to say it but you only have to look at what a good defensive coach can do for a centreback - Look at what Pulis did for Shawcross previously or for Jonny Evans at West Brom. Look at what Big Sam did for Younes Kaboul last season, the guy was absolutely immense in their run in.

For me, lets give him a season under Steve Clarke and see what happens. If he doesnt develop then send him packing next summer. What would we get for him now? 1, maybe 2m? Hardly worth it. Keep

Offline Rioch is King

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 08:15:20 AM »
Like him. Really hope he has a long successful career with us

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2016, 08:41:50 AM »
If I have got to watch us lose, I would sooner watch players who are not good enough than players who have ability but don't  give a shit.

100% this

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2016, 08:53:27 AM »
I like him as well, he'll be fine for the championship.

Offline VicMackey

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2016, 09:00:13 AM »
He's a championship player.  We're a championship team.  We can't be too precious about this, that's our situation now - I think he could do a good job this season.  Capable of the odd fuck up sure but I'd prefer a committed Baker to a half-asleep Lescott.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2016, 09:06:53 AM »
I like him.  I like brave players.  He has two massive advantages.  He is not Lescott and he is not Richards.  If I have got to watch us lose, I would sooner watch players who are not good enough than players who have ability but don't  give a shit.

Agree with this.   Keep and get rid of Lescott and Richards who had more cock-ups in their cupboards.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2016, 09:17:23 AM »
I think I agree with Matt, if we were in the prem I'd probably say let him go but at this level I think he's worth keeping at will do a good enough job to save us having to replace too many in the squad.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2016, 09:19:28 AM »
Seems a decent championship player and was popular at Bristol, and as people have pointed out he's brave to a fault. It's a yes from me.

Offline peter w

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2016, 09:22:06 AM »
if we play against any teams with a big bloke up front and who lump the ball up to him, he'll be pretty ideal. If we are looking to develop a footballing culture then he won't fit in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal