collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Harry Gregory  (Read 7241 times)

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
Harry Gregory
« on: June 08, 2016, 08:28:43 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has posted somewhere else, but I have just heard of the passing of Harry Gregory.
Harry was signed in our third division days, a striker who Vic Crowe converted to a midfielder and made captain in our first season in the third, he started really well but tailed off and was eventually sold to Hereford with Dave Rudge.
His best moment in a Villa shirt came in a 3-0 home win over Swansea, Harry thumping the ball in front of the Witton Lane into the net, and hugged a policemen behind the goal, knocking off his hat!
The game was on ITV's Star Soccer at the time, though no footage exists now.
Harry was a jovial man who I met the season before last and was a true gentleman who loved his brief time at Villa and was truly amazed so many people remembered him.
RIP Harry, another Holte Ender in the sky.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: Harry Gregory
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 08:35:17 PM »
Chico posted about his passing in the Celebrity Death Watch thread this morning.  I well remember Harry from his time with us and also against us for Charlton.  RIP Harry.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
I have no idea what Celebrity Death Watch thread is.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:57:07 AM »
I remember Harry Gregory, one of my first favourites from my early years of supporting Villa.

The OS says he made 29 appearances - I thought he made a lot more than that, but there again, when you're only 13 or 14 things always look different.

A fine player for us nevertheless.  RIP Harry.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal