collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Woodward  (Read 24137 times)

Offline Diablo

Re: Jack Woodward
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 02:21:12 PM »
Was/is he actually a Villa fan?

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 03:07:53 PM »
You know when you hear someone's voice before ever seeing them and build up a mental image of how they look? Jack was one of the very, very few people who looked exactly like he sounded.

Anyway, he may not have been the best broadcaster, but seemed like a decent person so I can do nothing but wish him the best.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 03:27:03 PM »
My outstanding memory of him will always be the annual Villa memorial service which Jane & I attended with Mike Jeffries following the sad & sudden passing of Mike's dad.

For some reason someone allowed Jack to think it was a good idea for hm to sing 'Unforgettable'.

He was lucky that most of his audience were too sad about their recent bereavements to find it as funny as it actually was.

Good Luck Jack - you seemed a nice bloke & I will.miss your mid-commentary golf analogies.

Offline shirley_villan

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 03:55:24 PM »
Good luck to him.

Always remember one of his lines after one of (I think) Hendries goals - ''it's a curler, it's a twirler, it's an absolute pearler''

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 04:34:06 PM »
Was/is he actually a Villa fan?

Sheff Weds.

Was amazed doing a bit of research that Jack's been a club employee for 15 years (joined in 2001) so would've certainly developed affection for the club when you serve it for so long.

Offline HK Villan

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2016, 06:00:11 PM »
Good luck to him.

Always remember one of his lines after one of (I think) Hendries goals - ''it's a curler, it's a twirler, it's an absolute pearler''

That's a classic, and really sums him up.  I grew to quite like his coverage in a sort of masochistic way.  One thing is for sure its the end of an era and AVTV will never be the same again!  I wish him all the best and thanks for all the memories!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2016, 07:15:08 PM »
Good luck to him.

That's a classic, and really sums him up.  I grew to quite like his coverage in a sort of masochistic way.  One thing is for sure its the end of an era and AVTV will never be the same again!  I wish him all the best and thanks for all the memories!

Ha! I remember that quote of his. Pure Woodward. Good luck to him, wherever he ends up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2016, 07:17:27 PM »
I met him a couple of times and seemed a very nice bloke. his commentary wasn't the best but it was rarely boring. I'm sure during a pre-season game shown live on AVTV a few years ago he started talking about his hotel bathroom and/or having a bath. All the best Jack.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2016, 07:24:38 PM »
People saying he was shit should probably reflect that being the voice of AVTV is hardly going to attract your Martin Tylers.

What are they replacing AVTV with?

Is it by any chance "nothing"?

Offline nuninho

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2016, 07:29:16 PM »
Used to enjoy the match preview clips with Froggie.  Hope he gets something - he seems a geniune likeable Partridge type.  Good luck and thanks Jack!

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2016, 12:00:14 AM »
My outstanding memory of him will always be the annual Villa memorial service which Jane & I attended with Mike Jeffries following the sad & sudden passing of Mike's dad.

For some reason someone allowed Jack to think it was a good idea for hm to sing 'Unforgettable'.

He was lucky that most of his audience were too sad about their recent bereavements to find it as funny as it actually was.

Good Luck Jack - you seemed a nice bloke & I will.miss your mid-commentary golf analogies.

Ha Ha! Very good.

'But I don't want to talk to you, I want to talk to him over there!'

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2016, 02:34:13 AM »
Seems a nice bloke but his commentary when I heard it was abysmal to say the least. I gave up a few years ago cos of him

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2016, 03:53:56 AM »
Seems a nice bloke but his commentary when I heard it was abysmal to say the least. I gave up a few years ago cos of him

And his interviews were utterly cringeworthy. I'm sure he's a lovely fella and I have no doubt about his dedication but he just wasn't very good as the voice of a PL football club.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2016, 06:03:24 AM »
Good luck to him, I don't want to see anyone lose their job*

*'Hateful Eight' aside.

Online dekko

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2016, 08:18:15 AM »
I quite liked Woodward, because I like puns, and things that are so awful they go right round the scale and become brilliant again.  And he does seem like a good bloke, hard worker etc.

But that said, his interviews were unforgivably bad.  I know you'll never get hard hitting journalism on the OS (and that he was interviewing people not exactly renowned for their eloquence) but he didn't even ask questions half the time, he'd make a statement and then stick the mic out for an agreement off whoever he was talking to.

Good luck to him, but I think we can do better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal