collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jack Woodward  (Read 24125 times)

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
Re: Jack Woodward
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2019, 05:36:48 PM »
At one point he said "Aston Villa is back where it belongs", which is that dumbed-down American version of Engerlish. Tsk!

I’ll bow to your superior knowledge BE but I thought when dealing with single entities such as Aston Villa that one should you the singular ‘is’ rather tha ‘are’. It has always confused me as it reads as a tad clunky but certainly my company always uses the singular.

Villa are a "we", not an "it".

This is definitely a US/British thing, but from a strictly grammatical perspective it would be more appropriate in a majority of cases to use singular i.e. "The club is expected to make its tenth signing of the summer..." as you can't say "The club are...", and in this instance "the club" is the stand-in noun for Aston Villa.

However, people on this side of the pond are more comfortable speaking of a team or a club as a collective, and though it's a bit awkward, "Aston Villa are..." certainly sounds better.
Yes you can. It is a collective noun and can be third person singular or plural. We Brits generally prefer the plural, unlike our less-developed brethren in Gilead.

"The club are expected to make their tenth signing of the summer". There, much better!

Only if the members/components of the team/club/collective entity are operating as individuals. There's a good explanation here: https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/nouns/collective-nouns.html

In the given example, "The club are expected to make their tenth signing of the summer", the club members are not operating as individuals in any express sense, so the noun takes the singular form of the verb, i.e. "The club is expected to make its tenth signing of the summer."

CC cdbullyweefan...
ATAL 1. you are quoting an American English site to comment upon British usage. 2. You are trying to force prescriptive grammar down our throats when there is no need. We can say "the club 'are'" irrespective of whether the members are 'acting as individuals' or not. Either you consider the noun as a singular unit or a group, then you conjugate accordingly. It's up to you. Really.

*Starts chant "We do what we want, we do what we waaaaant, we're British English, we do what we want."

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2019, 05:37:30 PM »
I think it's:
Wulverampton Wunderers am playing today.
We'm googling to check.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »

At one point he said "Aston Villa is back where it belongs", which is that dumbed-down American version of Engerlish. Tsk!

I’ll bow to your superior knowledge BE but I thought when dealing with single entities such as Aston Villa that one should you the singular ‘is’ rather tha ‘are’. It has always confused me as it reads as a tad clunky but certainly my company always uses the singular.

This is definitely a US/British thing, but from a strictly grammatical perspective it would be more appropriate in a majority of cases to use singular i.e. "The club is expected to make its tenth signing of the summer..." as you can't say "The club are...", and in this instance "the club" is the stand-in noun for Aston Villa.

However, people on this side of the pond are more comfortable speaking of a team or a club as a collective, and though it's a bit awkward, "Aston Villa are..." certainly sounds better.
Yes you can. It is a collective noun and can be third person singular or plural. We Brits generally prefer the plural, unlike our less-developed brethren in Gilead.

"The club are expected to make their tenth signing of the summer". There, much better!

Only if the members/components of the team/club/collective entity are operating as individuals. There's a good explanation here: https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/nouns/collective-nouns.html

In the given example, "The club are expected to make their tenth signing of the summer", the club members are not operating as individuals in any express sense, so the noun takes the singular form of the verb, i.e. "The club is expected to make its tenth signing of the summer."

CC cdbullyweefan...
ATAL 1. you are quoting an American English site to comment upon British usage. 2. You are trying to force prescriptive grammar down our throats when there is no need. We can say "the club 'are'" irrespective of whether the members are 'acting as individuals' or not. Either you consider the noun as a singular unit or a group, then you conjugate accordingly. It's up to you. Really.

*Starts chant "We do what we want, we do what we waaaaant, we're British English, we do what we want."
Apropos something totally different - how come Hyperbole is "Hyperb-ole" while it isn't "Hyperb-olic" - double standards clearly?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2019, 10:32:27 AM »
If you're talking about pronunciation, "hyperbole" should be said as if it has four syllables. "Hy-per-bol-e".

Otherwise I'm confused as to what you are asking.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2019, 10:33:48 AM »

CC cdbullyweefan...

Apropos something totally different - how come Hyperbole is "Hyperb-ole" while it isn't "Hyperb-olic" - double standards clearly?

Basically, the English language is made difficult like that to make foreigners work hard to get it right ;-)

Mind you, at least we weren't as sadistic as, say, the Finnish with theirs.

Offline Edvard Remberg

« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2019, 11:12:21 AM »
If you're talking about pronunciation, "hyperbole" should be said as if it has four syllables. "Hy-per-bol-e".

I know that hyperbole is pronounced like that - just don't understand why, when hyperbolic isn't, which is the same word (more or less)

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2019, 12:20:59 PM »
Basically, a word ending with the suffix -ic is always stressed on the syllable that precedes -ic : realistic; wanktastic ; electronic; intracytoplasmic, hyperbolic, and so on.

The word 'hyperbole' contains the prefix 'hyper' which normally has a secondary stress on its first syllable, as in 'hypersonic' but, according to the Oxford Guide to English Morphology, when hyper is attached to a neoclassical form which attracts stress to the syllable which immediately precedes it, then it is the second syllable of hyper that is stressed : hyperbole, hyperbola, hypertrophy etc.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2019, 08:32:18 AM »
Neat explanation BE. In fact, wankTAStic!

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2019, 09:48:03 AM »

This is why you have education systems with 'English teachers'. ;-)

Offline Edvard Remberg

« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2019, 10:00:50 AM »

This is why you have education systems with 'English teachers'. ;-)

So - what is the difference between I and me?

*joking

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2019, 01:33:13 PM »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »
I know he's hardly Mr Slick, but there's something about Jack Woodward that's just so Villa.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2019, 03:32:15 PM »
I know he's hardly Mr Slick, but there's something about Jack Woodward that's just so Villa.

Agreed,  it's hard not to like him. Fun & positive. He could make a 6-0 defeat sound good

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2019, 08:36:32 PM »
When Ron Vlaar (yes, I know) signed, I took Mini Rodders - now of this parish, I'm delighted to say - to VP to get his shirt signed. Jack pounced on us and interviewed us for AVTV.

He (Jack) was warm, kind, gentle and enormously encouraging of Felix' then nascent love for the Villa, being a supporter himself made him all the more credible in his role.

He may well be a slightly rubbish commentator, but he's *our* slightly rubbish commentator and I'll forgive him pretty much anything for being incredibly nice to my son when he didn't have to be. I'll even laugh at some of his shit puns, because it takes a nerd to know a nerd.

I'd love to see that video again; a different era altogether for the club and for me.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2019, 09:35:27 PM »
Woodward supports Staff Weds.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal