collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Squad reshaping  (Read 7746 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: Squad reshaping
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 01:00:36 PM »
I'd keep the keepers, one bad season does not make Guzan a bad player, and I think Bunn has a decent future, and at Championship level at least should be fairly consistent. 

Trouble is the few class attacking players we have are likely to get offers from elsewhere, and if the right one comes out won't want to stick around.  Not to mention that the club might want them off the wage bill.

I actually quite like Sinclair and think that he might fit the Championship quite well.

In all his time here (in two spells), I think he has only had 2 good seasons and was starting to lose it a bit at the end of the 2nd of those 2 seasons.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »
I'd keep Sinclair as well.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 01:30:56 PM »
Me too. Sinclair used right in an attacking team will score a lot of goals in the championship.

Gil Grealish and Traore week all have their uses. As well Vertout and Gestede. For me a couple of battling midfielders, a couple of pacy strikers a hard centre half and a keeper.  Sign that lot and we will be up.  The rest will improve around a stronger spine. Traore could be the real ace in the hole if he stays.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 01:39:04 PM »
Me too. Sinclair used right in an attacking team will score a lot of goals in the championship.

Gil Grealish and Traore week all have their uses. As well Vertout and Gestede. For me a couple of battling midfielders, a couple of pacy strikers a hard centre half and a keeper.  Sign that lot and we will be up.  The rest will improve around a stronger spine. Traore could be the real ace in the hole if he stays.
In the hole you say? Cue McCarthy video clip.........

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 02:02:34 PM »
I think we're just such a basket case of a club right now it's a really hard environment for any player to thrive and do well.  Given that, I think there are a lot of question marks over a big chunk of the squad. 

Will they improve with a better manager and hopefully better players around them?  Have they got the appetite for a promotion push or are they big time Charlie's that see the Championship as beneath them?  On a few we know these answers, but a lot of last years signings really haven't had a chance to shine with everything else going on around them. 

I think we've got to put some trust in the new manager and let him weigh these things up and then make the decisions.  And the club then has to back him.  For instance, I said above I'd keep Sinclair, but if the new manager thinks not, then I won't be moaning.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 02:08:06 PM »
All the forgoing is logical but I fear the reality may be very different.

The wasters and malingerers will turn up to meet the new manager, booted and suited, looking as though butter would not melt in their mouths and the new, easy going manager will lean towards forgiveness based on not having seen close up and first hand the dressing room horror show that was last season.  The lower demands of the Championship would probably make players like Lescott look adequate and early wins could make the new manager's softly softly approach seem to be working.  Only when player power flares up again as it inevitably will would the price have to be paid for not being ruthless when we should have been, this summer.

In short RDM looks like he does not do broom work.
Re RdM and brooms, I think it really depends on two things: who he has on his coaching staff, and the extent to which they suss out the malingerers; and, the time that he and his team have had to observe quietly in the background (perhaps with briefings from He Who Walks on Water).
I'm not presuming anything about the new manager, whoever he might be. However, they would be very removed from the game not to know what has been going on at VP; which means they would be a very poor candidate anyway.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 02:09:22 PM »
I'd keep Sinclair as well.
Not for me. Lacks the passion and drive to make a meaningful difference in a game, despite his apparent skill.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 02:20:16 PM »
It's a hard one really because with the exception of a few they could all probably cope with the Championship.

Sell because they probably can't: Vertout, Gil, Traore, bacuna

Keepers

1 new keeper
One of Bunn/Guzan as back-up

Defenders
2 new defenders
clark, Baker, Hutton cissoko. amavi . Keep 1 off Okare/Richards/Lescott. as back-up

2 new midfielders

grealish/sinclair/westwood/sanchez/gardner/gana to fight it out with kids for the remainling places with 3 off them sold

2 new strikers

back-up /ayew/gestade/gabby to battle it out. 2 off them sold

I make that 7 new players and 11 out
Guzan cost us around 10 points. No way he can stay. Gabby turns up after a 2 week ban for his bad behaviour and he's a fucking STONE overweight. These two must never play for the club again. NO WAY. As for the others it's all about opinions.
N'zogbia bye bye you utter waste of space. Only ones I'd be happy to keep either due to ability or the fact that they at least try : Amarvi,Westwood, Gana, Gestede, Baker, Clarke, Bunn, Hutton, Ayew, Grealish, plus any promising kids.
The rest I'm not too fussed about. 

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 02:28:41 PM »
I'd keep the keepers, one bad season does not make Guzan a bad player, and I think Bunn has a decent future, and at Championship level at least should be fairly consistent. 

Trouble is the few class attacking players we have are likely to get offers from elsewhere, and if the right one comes out won't want to stick around.  Not to mention that the club might want them off the wage bill.

I actually quite like Sinclair and think that he might fit the Championship quite well.
Guzan has had it. His demise started 2 seasons ago with his bizarre performance at Man City when he gifted
Aguero a goal. Sherwood knew he was finished and played Given after that. The fact that Guzan was still here at the start of last season said it all. He blundered time after time and was one of the reasons for our shocking season.
Sorry but he has GOT to go.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 05:24:23 PM »
keep gana, ayew, amavi and our own youngsters and the rest can fuck off

as for bunn, he is a league one keeper as the bulk of his career shows.
i wouldnt even have him putting cones out

for us to move on we have to stop being a benevolent home to players who are obviously not up to it

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 06:20:27 PM »

In all his time here (in two spells), I think he has only had 2 good seasons and was starting to lose it a bit at the end of the 2nd of those 2 seasons.

To be fair along with Benteke's goals Guzan's heroics in goal has been a big reason why we didn't go down sooner.  I wouldn't start him at the moment, but I'd still have him in the squad.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 07:07:01 PM »

To be fair along with Benteke's goals Guzan's heroics in goal has been a big reason why we didn't go down sooner.  I wouldn't start him at the moment, but I'd still have him in the squad.

Regardless of how he is playing, we cannot afford to have a keeper on his wages as a reserve.  We have to be looking very carefully at what we are spending now and get best value out of every penny.

Offline supertom

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 08:15:17 PM »
For absolute definite the following need to leave:
Lescott, Richards, Guzan and Gabby.
I would also add that given their agents seem keen to push a move already, we should move Gana and Okore on.

Essential areas that need strengthening:
A new keeper. I think Steer and Bunn are fine as backup but we need a new first choice. Someone solid and reliable who is good enough to make the step up if/when we get promoted.
New CH. Someone commanding and experienced. It may not be someone you'd necessarily think of as a world beater. Ideally someone akin to Morgan who is solid and reliable and if called upon can step up another level.
New fullbacks. I really hope Amavi stays but it's unlikely. Two reliable full backs are required. Bennett is fine as a back up, as is Hutton.

CM. Experience required. Gardner can be an important player now. Westwood will be fine at this level. What we need is a physical presence and someone who is a born leader. We could also do with buying someone proven, and possibly with goals in them. Judge?

AM. Osman. We have plenty of young talent who can play advanced or wide. Hopefully we keep Traore and give him games. I think Osman could be a great signing. Reliable. Good attitude. Works hard and experienced. Has legs still and is probably getting to the stage where the Champ or lower end Prem beckons.

Striker: Add a goalscorer who is proven at that level. Wells, Bamford, McCormack, Ings. This is the area I suspect we'll need to break the bank. Along with Gestede and our promising youngsters (who must be given a chance), that should give us the firepower.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2016, 08:19:01 PM »
We might be lucky and get a goldfish off the rag-and-bone man for all bar three of them.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 08:24:56 PM »
We need a Joey Barton type. Experienced, a leader, someone with a bit of bite - someone also to wind things up a bit. We've missed that for years in midfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal