collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Happy Rotterdam Day  (Read 7880 times)

Offline Exeter 77

Re: Happy Rotterdam Day
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 10:02:21 AM »
I was only 12 so didn't fully grasp the magnitude of it. I also just assumed Villa always won trophies, I soon learned!

I remember that advert as well, we taped the game and whenever I re-watched it I always watched the advert as well. I also remember Clough constantly referring to Villa as "us" and "we". We go on about bias by commentators now, they have nothing on Cloughie that night.
He also said 'We've done 'em' a fraction of a second before the final whistle goes.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 10:04:42 AM »
I was only 12 so didn't fully grasp the magnitude of it. I also just assumed Villa always won trophies, I soon learned!

I remember that advert as well, we taped the game and whenever I re-watched it I always watched the advert as well. I also remember Clough constantly referring to Villa as "us" and "we". We go on about bias by commentators now, they have nothing on Cloughie that night.

And he called Bayern 'the Germans' throughout

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 10:16:25 AM »
A carpet of white flowers have bloomed in my garden this morning, a week after my neighbours. I need to find some claret and blue ones to compliment them for this time next year.

Online Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 10:30:35 AM »
I often think of the poor Villa fan , a few rows down from us at the game, who'd had a few and slept through the whole second half! About this time of day (mid morning) we were part of a massive ,and growing, snaking convoy of coaches, cars and mini buses chugging it's way across Europe's northern seaboard under a burning sun.

I always remember the various French, Belgium and Dutch communities en route waving union flags or holding up Villa supporting signs as we trundled though.

A very special day.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 10:31:04 AM »

I was 10 and had exactly the same experience. A tough lesson but I'm sure it's done us good. Sort of.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 10:34:09 AM »
An unforgettable 36 hours or so, one thing I remember as we left my friend's house, as we made our way to New Street to catch the train at midnight was praying there would be no power cuts to upset the video recorder.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 10:46:33 AM »
taken for HEITS thread:

One of my favourite moments of watching the Villa with my Dad was when Peter Withe shinned in the winner in that game in 82, We were watching the game in a our local pub here in Cambridge where the local populous are generally either London supporters, Manure and Liverpool.
We took plenty of stick off the packed pub as they were all rooting for Bayern,
When THAT goal went in my Dad and me were jumping around hugging each other and flicking the V's like maniacs at the rest of the pub.
He then says in a very thick loud brummie voice......""have that you cockanee cnuts""

Happy Rotterdam day everyone.

UTV
The Doc

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 10:46:41 AM »
Following day we stopped off in London and went to the FA Cup final replay. After getting tickets from QPR we called into the Springbok for a pint, place went quiet as we were at the bar and thought we were going to have to leg it but a couple of QPR supporters insisted on buying our drinks and invited us to join them. They then offered us a lift to Wembley, thankfully we lost them at the ground as it became clear they really didn't like Spurs supporters, glad they liked Villa though!

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 11:36:50 AM »

I was 10 and had exactly the same experience. A tough lesson but I'm sure it's done us good. Sort of.

i would've been 8 and I remember it like it was  yesterday, lying on the carpet watching it on our black and white (yes really- they got a colour one the next year I think) telly. Gutted when Rimmer went off and was anxious as fuck after we scored and 'the Germans' were pounding us. Quality side too Bayern- rumenigge with his overhead kick, I thought we were done, breitner and the rest of them. The thing that really pissed me off then and still does now, is that we had to wear all white (it was a very good le coq kit though) and the fact that our players all swapped shirts after the match, so it's like we were Liverpool or something. I think only Mortimer kept his shit together and his Villa shirt on. Was brilliant to watch but would've been even better in claret and blue, or dark grey and light grey, as I would've seen it!

So yes, happy Rotterdam day everyone. I have a European cup mug at work (pic of the team in front of the holte withe cup) which I used today and didn't even think of the date.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 11:50:08 AM »
taken for HEITS thread:

One of my favourite moments of watching the Villa with my Dad was when Peter Withe shinned in the winner in that game in 82, We were watching the game in a our local pub here in Cambridge where the local populous are generally either London supporters, Manure and Liverpool.
We took plenty of stick off the packed pub as they were all rooting for Bayern,
When THAT goal went in my Dad and me were jumping around hugging each other and flicking the V's like maniacs at the rest of the pub.
He then says in a very thick loud brummie voice......""have that you cockanee cnuts""

Happy Rotterdam day everyone.

UTV
The Doc
classy badge- I bought one the same as the claret and blue reversed one that you show on the front of the European cup the last time we were in the 2nd division- still wear it with pride in the odd occasion I need to wear a boozing jacket here in Qld.

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 11:51:06 AM »

i would've been 8 and I remember it like it was  yesterday, lying on the carpet watching it on our black and white (yes really- they got a colour one the next year I think) telly. Gutted when Rimmer went off and was anxious as fuck after we scored and 'the Germans' were pounding us. Quality side too Bayern- rumenigge with his overhead kick, I thought we were done, breitner and the rest of them. The thing that really pissed me off then and still does now, is that we had to wear all white (it was a very good le coq kit though) and the fact that our players all swapped shirts after the match, so it's like we were Liverpool or something. I think only Mortimer kept his shit together and his Villa shirt on. Was brilliant to watch but would've been even better in claret and blue, or dark grey and light grey, as I would've seen it!

So yes, happy Rotterdam day everyone. I have a European cup mug at work (pic of the team in front of the holte withe cup) which I used today and didn't even think of the date.

It was just unfortunate that Bayern won the toss to play in their first choice colours.  That all white kit has become part of Villa folklore though and my top is still proudly hanging up - although I've not been able to get into it for years - needed to buy a retro one many years ago although - does anyone else agree - the quality's nothing like it is on the original ?

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 11:53:19 AM »
Was only 10 at the time and watched it with my Dad on the telly up here in Manchester

Still remember him saying to me when Jimmy Rimmer went off injured early doors that "it was a matter of when rather than if Bayern scored now son" - presumably him trying to manage my naïve expectations around the Villa's chances of actually winning the European Cup minus our number one keeper.

When we scored I randomly remember running out of the living room and into the front room where my Mum was having a brew and a chat with her friend and telling her that Peter Withe had scored! "Is that good?" was her somewhat bemused reply...

I was so late going to bed that night I even managed to catch the first few minutes of The Omen which was showing on ITV - it felt late but was probably only about ten o'clock!

It's funny how I can barely remember what I had for breakfast these days but can still remember large parts of that evening so clearly. A fantastic night and one all of us should cherish - especially after such a desperate season as the one we have just had.

As is traditional now I will be replaying my Champions of Europe DVD once more this evening and raising a glass or two

Up the Villa!

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »
Was only 10 at the time and watched it with my Dad on the telly up here in Manchester

Still remember him saying to me when Jimmy Rimmer went off injured early doors that "it was a matter of when rather than if Bayern scored now son" - presumably him trying to manage my naïve expectations around the Villa's chances of actually winning the European Cup minus our number one keeper.

When we scored I randomly remember running out of the living room and into the front room where my Mum was having a brew and a chat with her friend and telling her that Peter Withe had scored! "Is that good?" was her somewhat bemused reply...

I was so late going to bed that night I even managed to catch the first few minutes of The Omen which was showing on ITV - it felt late but was probably only about ten o'clock!

It's funny how I can barely remember what I had for breakfast these days but can still remember large parts of that evening so clearly. A fantastic night and one all of us should cherish - especially after such a desperate season as the one we have just had.

As is traditional now I will be replaying my Champions of Europe DVD once more this evening and raising a glass or two

Up the Villa!

So true, I can't remember whether I've closed a window or locked the conservatory door 5 minutes after doing it these days, but remember virtually every minute of that unforgettable day.  I'm 58 now and enormously proud of being a 1957 baby - hence I was 24 on 26-5-1982 - a superb age to be on this day of all days - old enough to appreciate the enormity of the occasion but young enough to still be obsessively talking about it 34 years on.

I've mentioned on here several times that 26th May was also my mum's birthday - and it's mainly because of my family on my mum's side that I support Villa ) although growing up in Great Barr was no doubt a factor too. - RIP Mum (love you forever  xx).

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 12:39:36 PM »

I was 11 and like PWS and McGrathMcgrath5, I just assumed we were always challenging for trophies.

Similar sorts of emotions to robbo watching the game. I think I watched most of the last 10 minutes hiding behind the sofa.

Oh and I watched it with Tesco supporting grandfather who could never find a good word to say about us. At the final whistle he managed to say "well done" without choking and went to bed.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:43:26 PM by Villa in Denmark »

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 01:02:31 PM »
Bitter sweet for me

As told a few times before.

Tickets for me and the old man - check
Coach tickets from Drakes Drum - check

2 days before we set off

House burgled and the lot gone

watched it on neighbours tv