collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Birmingham Mail (request)  (Read 10167 times)

Offline Diablo

Re: Birmingham Mail (request)
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 11:24:35 AM »
Whilst we're on the subject of rags can we request to do the same for the Sun? 

Offline stuart r

• Location: Highley (Home of the Gerry Hitchens Fitness Suite at the local leisure centre- He started his career with Highley Miners Welfare)
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
Not defending the Mail as it's been poor for years, but the reason they probably do articles digging Villa is because when you combine Blues and Albion fans who'll read it, along with a handful of Cov and Wolves fans it probably gets them more clicks than an article which appeals just to Villa fans.

Yeah, that probably is their logic but its not working for them so p'raps they should reconsider.  I think they need to take their potentially important role in the city and surrounding area more seriously. They should have some professional pride in their journalism and reporting. I want them to criticise Villa whenever it is justified but do it via journalism and not daft, cringey leg-pulling stories. The stuff they come out with is just crass and juvenile and circulation is less than papers like Aberdeen Evening Express and Hull Daily Mail. If there was a decent regional newspaper I would buy it every day for my journey home as would many others.... Sometimes I think I care about The (Evening) Mail more than the people that own it or work for it. It should be a Birmingham institution (like Villa) but its just an embarrassment (...er..erm..)

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 01:07:41 PM »
Whilst we're on the subject of rags can we request to do the same for the Sun? 

We know it by the moniker The S*n here.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 01:09:49 PM »
Not defending the Mail as it's been poor for years, but the reason they probably do articles digging Villa is because when you combine Blues and Albion fans who'll read it, along with a handful of Cov and Wolves fans it probably gets them more clicks than an article which appeals just to Villa fans.

Yeah, that probably is their logic but its not working for them so p'raps they should reconsider.  I think they need to take their potentially important role in the city and surrounding area more seriously. They should have some professional pride in their journalism and reporting. I want them to criticise Villa whenever it is justified but do it via journalism and not daft, cringey leg-pulling stories. The stuff they come out with is just crass and juvenile and circulation is less than papers like Aberdeen Evening Express and Hull Daily Mail. If there was a decent regional newspaper I would buy it every day for my journey home as would many others.... Sometimes I think I care about The (Evening) Mail more than the people that own it or work for it. It should be a Birmingham institution (like Villa) but its just an embarrassment (...er..erm..)

Rags like The Sun do it with Manu U  - double page spreads almost everyday just so some footballing tourist far from Manchester can read about "Their United".
I remember a while ago speaking with Gary Newbon about when they started showing Champions League games on ITV and their constant focus on Man United. He said that there were estimated around a million tv fans watching them, but 16 million watching hoping they loose - either way it was good circulation for ITV / sponsors etc.

Totally agree - stock clicking them and they will shrivel up

Offline el león Benidorm

• GM : 28.05.2015
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 05:06:19 PM »
Is the mail still owned by Trinity Mirror? I used to work for TMS and get the Argus sent to me through company mail.
Then the board decided it needed to be streamlined and binned the Argus.
I left not long after then. Not because of the Argus, but because they were a shit company to work for!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 07:17:11 PM »
Whilst we're on the subject of rags can we request to do the same for the S*n?

And the Daily Heil too please.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 03:51:20 PM »
I'll gladly stick to this, too.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 10:03:07 AM »
Why not just have a rule that ANY newspaper stories are copy & pasted?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal