collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony Xia interview in The Guardian  (Read 44383 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Tony Xia interview in The Guardian
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 05:18:55 PM »
As long as he doesn't mutate into Dr No, I'm cool with Tone.

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 05:19:13 PM »
The link in that article to the FT article wasn't working, I found it at the link below.  I think they know as much as us.

FT

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »
He's only a millionaire though. 
Dr Tony out!

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 05:24:58 PM »
Dr Tony out, Dr Tony out, we want we want Dr tony...

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2016, 05:33:37 PM »
See I can understand people being cautious, as I said yesterday this summer will tell us a lot, if he does as he's said and gives us whatever money we need (which is my interpretation of £20m, £30m, £40m ... £50m?) to back up a  well consider and sensible choice as manager then he'll have started things as well as anyone could ever hope.  If we go into the new season with most of the current squad and Steve Bruce then we can start to worry.

What I can't see is people who are making claims like calling him a shyster or a fraud or calling for us to back out of the deal less than a day after it was announced, that's just weird.  I also got a bit frustrated last night with the idea that there was no internet presence when it was clearly there but took a bit more effort to find because it's all chinese.  That's where some people are going to far and falling into being overly pessimistic rather than just sensibly cautious.  If they were doing it because the of all the people who were talking about getting "AVFC Champions league winners 2019" tattoos then I'd be ok with it, the balanced perspective would help but I haven't seen a single person be anything like that level of wide-eyed loon, the majority seem to be of the opinion that it all sounds good so far but let's wait and see so an overly pessimistic attitude is just strange.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2016, 05:37:23 PM »
Welcome Doctor X, like what you said, now all you have to do is get this grand old club back to where it belongs.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2016, 05:38:21 PM »
"At least from my experience, if you keep working hard you still have a chance … I think attitude is more important than talent. So that is one of the basic principles for me to give advice to the [new] coach to choose players to revamp the team.”

I like this. Attitude and hard work is the key.

I like it. You look at the likes of Atletico Madrid, who are by no means cloggers, but through extreme hard work and organisation, compete with two or the biggest clubs on the planet. Leicester won the league because they were willing ti work harder than any body else.

Effort costs nothing.

Alex McLeishes best line. "You cant always be the most talented on the pitch, you may not always be the biggest or strongest, but you can always be the player wth the best effort. In football nobody can stop you running."

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 05:48:13 PM »
"At least from my experience, if you keep working hard you still have a chance … I think attitude is more important than talent. So that is one of the basic principles for me to give advice to the [new] coach to choose players to revamp the team.”

I like it. You look at the likes of Atletico Madrid, who are by no means cloggers, but through extreme hard work and organisation, compete with two or the biggest clubs on the planet. Leicester won the league because they were willing ti work harder than any body else.

Effort costs nothing.

Alex McLeishes best line. "You cant always be the most talented on the pitch, you may not always be the biggest or strongest, but you can always be the player wth the best effort. In football nobody can stop you running."

He went on to say:

"Apart from me. Because if any of you wankers try to run past the halfway line you won't play again this season".

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 05:49:40 PM »

Gabby will be consulting his solicitors first thing tomorrow morning!

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 05:50:47 PM »
`Effort costs nothing'. I really hope my employers don't get hold of that idea.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2016, 05:52:31 PM »
He is saying the right things, that's for sure.

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »
Feel caught in two minds about our Dr X.

On the one hand, we're rid of Lerner, replaced by someone who actually talks in a manner I can understand, seems open about his ambitions and beliefs, and is young enough to be fired by ambition.

On the other, I can't quite shake doubts about his apparent meteoric rise (from a son of a farming technician, to studying at Oxford Uni in 2002, to then buying out a company by 2004 - I was still filing and photocopying two years after uni!), nor does he state about investing his own funds into the club or for transfers.

Will keep an open mind for now, and wish him all the best of luck

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2016, 06:37:16 PM »
The 'effort costs nothing' line should put some crosshairs on a few of our players.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 06:38:06 PM »
If Steve Hollis is agog at what a high achiever and all round smart cookie he is, that'll do for me.

Offline supertom

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 06:44:39 PM »
I'm delighted we've got a new owner. Time will tell if he's any good. My Mrs is Chinese and loves winding me up. As soon as I mentioned to her that a Chinese owner was about to buy us, she said "Oh God...don't waste our money" then she laughed her head off at me for five minutes. However I'm sure Tony will do well. He seems to be passionate about football and has a good business pedigree. He's also clear and concise in what he wants to achieve. Whether he can deliver remains to be seen but I'm hopeful. I also think as far as business goes, it'll be great to tap into the Chinese market as football becomes ever more popular over there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal