collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation 57 years today  (Read 8249 times)

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: Relegation 57 years today
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 03:17:52 PM »
Apologies if I've posted this before.  During my refereeing career, Ronnie Allen was in our house trying to flog me sports insurance.  I always wanted to ask him about that time he broke my heart but couldn't pluck up the courage.  I got my own back by not buying any.  He seemed a very nice man.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 03:24:05 PM »
I have posted before but my granddad came home in tears that night. My nan used to tell the story of granddad being distraught outside the ground and some Albion fans mocked him. As was the custom in those days he took off his jacket before landing a couple of pissbawlers. He stowed away from Cork as a teenager but my nan's brothers made sure he was a Villa man through and through.

I lost most of my memorabilia years ago when mom had to downsize a few times whilst I lived abroad but I thought in the Peter Morris book that he claimed Allen was actually upset himself when he realised that his goal had relegated us. Can anybody confirm this?

Nothing in the Peter Morris book Pat. Just says "he unleashed a 20 yard drive that flashed into the net past a helpless Nigel Sims" I was listening on the steam radio and was devastated. that feeling lasted for years.

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 03:28:31 PM »
This match caused my old man to hate Albion with a passion all his life. Apparently they lit celebration bonfires throughout the Black Country that night.

He didn't even acknowledge Blose as even worthy of his attention.... I miss him.

same as my dear old Dad, his family hated the stripey filth and like me they still do...noses don't register on our radar

UTV
The Doc

This result had a similar effect on me. 12 years old and the Albion fans were unbearable at school the following day. Hated the barstewards with a vengeance ever since. Mom and dad also hated them - so part must be in the family dna. The "rags" barely registered on the dislike scale.

Still what goes around, etc. I was working in West Bromwich in 1981 and 1982. Revenge can be sweet! Then their subsequent years out of the top division were good times.

Offline scott arms

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 03:32:36 PM »
This match caused my old man to hate Albion with a passion all his life. Apparently they lit celebration bonfires throughout the Black Country that night.

He didn't even acknowledge Blose as even worthy of his attention.... I miss him.

same as my dear old Dad, his family hated the stripey filth and like me they still do...noses don't register on our radar

UTV
The Doc

This result had a similar effect on me. 12 years old and the Albion fans were unbearable at school the following day. Hated the barstewards with a vengeance ever since. Mom and dad also hated them - so part must be in the family dna. The "rags" barely registered on the dislike scale.

Still what goes around, etc. I was working in West Bromwich in 1981 and 1982. Revenge can be sweet! Then their subsequent years out of the top division were good times.
what this shows there is some football traditions which creates the rivaly with Wba, and with blues it' none football rivaly,  it's just that the supporters dislike each other.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 07:43:20 PM »
I have posted before but my granddad came home in tears that night. My nan used to tell the story of granddad being distraught outside the ground and some Albion fans mocked him. As was the custom in those days he took off his jacket before landing a couple of pissbawlers. He stowed away from Cork as a teenager but my nan's brothers made sure he was a Villa man through and through.

I lost most of my memorabilia years ago when mom had to downsize a few times whilst I lived abroad but I thought in the Peter Morris book that he claimed Allen was actually upset himself when he realised that his goal had relegated us. Can anybody confirm this?

He would have had to have been a hermit to be oblivious to what the points meant to Villa - relegation - and what they meant to Albion - nothing.

As I have posted elsewhere, end of season local derbies were charity affairs if one club faced relegation and the other had nothing to play for. Anecdotally (I wasn't there), Allen was the only Albion player trying in that game. Which figures with the description of his goal above. You don't just happen to whack a goal in from 20 yards, unless you mean it. Again anecdotally, Allen celebrated his goal.

I too have hated Albion ever since.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 08:10:49 PM »
It was the year I was born but I bet I came Into the world hating the stripey shite
Hate them with a vengeance

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal