collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fans consultation group - updated  (Read 14631 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Fans consultation group - updated
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 02:06:33 AM »
I think that's an interesting observation Joe about the managers role in handling dressing room chemistry and dynamics. Garde clearly was dealt a shit hand but he also said and did things that didn't help matters. Instead of bringing the players together the cracks became chasms. And all that on the back of Sherwood where the initial divide and dressing room cliques had already been created.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 03:22:44 AM »
Thanks Joe.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 07:47:53 AM »
Can't add anything else to Brian's comments about dressing room unity etc I'm afraid though he did say it's not simply a matter of player attitudes and personality, the manager and how he deals with them is also a significant component and will be a major consideration in the appointment of our next manager.

If it is not just player attitudes and personality, what more is there - ability, age range, nationalities, tactics?  I would have thought attitude plays the biggest part in how successful a player is going to be at the Club.  It is that desire to want to do well, to improve, to give everything for the team and the Club etc.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 08:26:52 AM »
Can't add anything else to Brian's comments about dressing room unity etc I'm afraid though he did say it's not simply a matter of player attitudes and personality, the manager and how he deals with them is also a significant component and will be a major consideration in the appointment of our next manager.

If it is not just player attitudes and personality, what more is there - ability, age range, nationalities, tactics?  I would have thought attitude plays the biggest part in how successful a player is going to be at the Club.  It is that desire to want to do well, to improve, to give everything for the team and the Club etc.

He answered that - the manager and the way he deals with them.

For example, you can bring in young international players with potential, with enthusiasm etc, but if the manager and senior pros make them feel like crap and divide the dressing room based on nationality, it's not going to help their performance. Oh. Thanks Tim, Micah and Gabby.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 08:36:38 AM »

For what it's worth, Steve Hollis to me at least came across as refreshingly bullshit free compared to recent members of the senior management team.

...and made no attempt to deflect attention away from the playing side in favour of more successful areas of the club's operations. Most importantly for me anyway was that he is under no illusions about the size of the task in hand and is undaunted by it as opposed to saying he is relishing a challenge that nobody wanted.

Firstly thanks to those of you who gave your time to attend.
Secondly the comments above are what I want to hear - no BS, no flannel, no PR-speak - sleeves rolled up and get on with it.

Looks like there is a delicate balancing act going on with the Manager/sale dynamic and we can only hope we are sold sooner rather than later to get a manager in.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 08:40:53 AM »
Thanks for posting this Dave and for your comments Joe.

Very interesting stuff and restores a bit of faith.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 08:55:33 AM »
Thanks for posting this Dave and for your comments Joe.

Very interesting stuff and restores a bit of faith.

Agreed

As difficult as it is we really need some positive vibes at present

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 09:14:41 AM »

He answered that - the manager and the way he deals with them.

For example, you can bring in young international players with potential, with enthusiasm etc, but if the manager and senior pros make them feel like crap and divide the dressing room based on nationality, it's not going to help their performance. Oh. Thanks Tim, Micah and Gabby.

Yes, having reread it again, I can see that now.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 09:58:31 AM »
Seems very positive so far thanks for the update

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 10:27:58 AM »
So, ideally we need the takeover to happen soon so we can get a manager in and have him start pre season prep asap. This can't be dragging on until July.

Offline peter w

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 10:50:19 AM »
Although informative and thanks for sharing I do have issues with these types of meetings. Ultimately what really will the club get over and what really is the purpose? They will only tell us what they want, understandably, and a lot of this is information that is already in the public domain. They mostly know what fans think and it's due to the league form.

There may be off the record stuff but that would be unlikely to be off the record as one person would tell a friend and information would easily get out given the disparate people involved. And, the elephant in the room, whilst the owner is still there the problems will persist. Always.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2016, 12:05:25 PM »
And if they don't have these kinds of meetings the club gets hammered for not communicating with supporters. Hollis made a point not long after he arrived about communicating with supporters. And while beating Randy's communication record is hardly going to win him a prize, Hollis has gone about doing that. This is important that we continue to get updates from the club in one form or another. And hopefully the clues are that the sale of the club is dictating the manager appointment. I would like to think nobody at Villa is oblivious to the fact that we need both tied up quickly so we can press on with preparations for next season.

Offline peter w

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2016, 12:15:18 PM »
I can see why those on the board want to have meetings with fans and I do like the way Holis has gone about the business that we can see, thus far. The timing of this meeting is probably very unfortunate - as alluded to - but I think the agenda for these going forward will be driven almost in its entirety by Lerner's position. The purpose will then get lost amongst recriminations. let's hope not.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2016, 01:39:51 PM »
Reading between the lines I'd be amazed if we didn't appoint Pearson. 

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2016, 04:49:42 PM »
What is Joe Costello's real name?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal