collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ups  (Read 5527 times)

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
Re: Press-ups
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 12:35:14 PM »
Can't get that back pass out of my head. It was so spectacularly incomprehensible. I mean, what was he even *trying* to do ? Has there ever been a worse back pass in the history of football ? It's only escaped scrutiny because we've been so shit all season, and the game had nothing on it, if that goal had meant something, like if we'd been playing one of the top two, I think questions would be asked.

These things are as Dave says, not even worthy of schoolboy error, so when professional footballers make them with such frequency, I do sometimes wonder if something else isn't going on. Mohammed Amir's dodgy no ball was surely more subtle.
That's Kylie, not Led Zeppelin. ;)

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 12:41:49 PM »
That first goal on Saturday looked dodgy; you know, stand-off the attacker (Long) give him free space of at least 2 yards to head freely past Guzan - who started to come for the cross and then stayed rooted to his line?? Schoolboys wouldn't be as bad as that.

Offline chrisf

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »
I have struggled all season firstly to put out of my mind and latterly to find some unprovocative way of suggesting that certain financial irregularities might be behind the conceding of spectacularly soft goals.  Such a thing is of course utterly unthinkable and entirely without foundation of any kind.

What I will allow myself to say is that if our players were racehorses a hell of a lot if telephone records would be being sifted through.
Richard's 'defending' of a corner against Everton(?) made me think exactly this. He 'misjudges' the flight of the ball by basically barging into Hutton allowing their striker a completely free header. His tracking of the run of Barkley in the same game was so half hearted it almost looked like he wasn't trying to stop them scoring.

Watching this back it looks even worse than I remembered it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU0LteHopY8

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »
That first goal on Saturday looked dodgy; you know, stand-off the attacker (Long) give him free space of at least 2 yards to head freely past Guzan - who started to come for the cross and then stayed rooted to his line?? Schoolboys wouldn't be as bad as that.

To be fair to Lescott he knew that Long was offside, you can see that as soon as long heads it he's looking to the linesman waiting for the flag.  For all our faults (and there are plenty), a guy being a yard offside on the edge of the 6 yard box and it not being given isn't the sort of thing that happens to sides at the top of the league and there's really not a lot you can do about it.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
You did ramble on a bit there Dave.

I get unpaid by the word.

Haha! Good article and come back.

Just trying to carry on the Led Zep song title theme.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 01:42:42 PM »

To be fair to Lescott he knew that Long was offside, you can see that as soon as long heads it he's looking to the linesman waiting for the flag.  For all our faults (and there are plenty), a guy being a yard offside on the edge of the 6 yard box and it not being given isn't the sort of thing that happens to sides at the top of the league and there's really not a lot you can do about it.

Was he definitely off? Didn't see MOTD so not sure if they did the ''line across the last defender'' feature in the replay of the goal.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 02:07:48 PM »

Was he definitely off? Didn't see MOTD so not sure if they did the ''line across the last defender'' feature in the replay of the goal.

Yeah, at least a yard.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 02:38:14 PM »
You did ramble on a bit there Dave.

I get unpaid by the word.

Haha! Good article and come back.

Just trying to carry on the Led Zep song title theme.

Ah sorry my apologies for the initial Communication Breakdown.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 02:45:36 PM »

Inept.

I think I was about 7 when I learnt you had to be 'touch-tight' to an attacker when defending a cross. He didn't get blocked off, he wasn't drawn to a player someone else should be marking. He just couldn't be arsed.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 04:15:20 PM »
Good read Dave.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal