collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 1965.  (Read 10846 times)

Offline Nelson Lodge

Re: 1965.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 07:35:42 PM »
Had a look at www.11v11.com web site which lists squads for each season.

John Gavan is listed as a Goalkeeper. Barry Stobart also so he is alongside Woosnam.
Tony Scott should be there, as should Willie Hamilton who I had forgotten about.
This site may jog a few memories to put names to faces. It lists one or two who I cannot recall such as Ray Bloomfield, a winger.

Fred Archer was club secretary back then. Alan Bennett was post-Revolution I believe.
Chris Buckley was a Director of the club and it looks like him at the front of the group. He was Major Buckley's brother - he of Wolves fame?

Dave S - I am looking at the photo on an iPad which allows me to increase the photo size, scroll up and down and side to side by touch screen.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:38:24 PM by Nelson Lodge »

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 07:37:29 PM »
Got it Nelson, It's me not the kit I'm using.  Doh!

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 07:51:48 PM »
That round neck kit is my favourite. Sadly they mostly look like sacks of spuds in it..

On another note I'd have bet a squillion quid on Scott not joining the club until we'd hit the second division in 67, but I'd have lost the lot!

Had to another look at the photo. Not all have round necks. Several have V necks. What a mixed bags !!
Still a lot better than that horror kit of 1987-89 with its stripey halves. Gets my vote for all time worst kit, and there have been some shockers imho.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 07:56:11 PM »
That round neck kit is my favourite. Sadly they mostly look like sacks of spuds in it..

On another note I'd have bet a squillion quid on Scott not joining the club until we'd hit the second division in 67, but I'd have lost the lot!

Had to another look at the photo. Not all have round necks. Several have V necks. What a mixed bags !!
Still a lot better than that horror kit of 1987-89 with its stripey halves. Gets my vote for all time worst kit, and there have been some shockers imho.

It looks like first teamers have round necks and reserves have v necks.

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 08:12:08 PM »
Here's my attempt.

Goalies – Gavan (with the really long arms), Withers
Right backs - Bradley, Wright
Left backs - Lee, Aitken, Briggs?
Right halfs – MacEwan, ?, Parker
Centre halfs - ?, Sleeuwenhoek, Chatterley
Left halfs – Pountney, Deakin, ?
Outside rights – Roberts, Baker, Rudge
Inside rights – Inglis, Park, Bloomfield
Centre forward - ?, Hateley, ?
Inside lefts – Stobart, Woosnam, Martin
Outside lefts - ?, MacLeod, ?

Why Jimmy MacEwan is lined up with the half backs is beyond me.
As for the coach/trainers – Dixon is obvious. Next to Dick Taylor is Bill Baxter. Then I assume a very, very, very old Charlie Wallace wearing the glasses.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 06:34:33 AM »
I have no idea of the two either side of Hateley.
The three to the front left are Roberts, Baker, Rudge.
I did think it was Briggs but it has to be a forward Dave.I am fairly sure it's John Martin.

I think the one to the left of Hateley is Wilson Briggs.

Offline Ron Manager

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 06:41:50 AM »
The ones we can't get are from the central league side.They are all wearing V necked shirts

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 07:57:15 AM »
I don't see Willie Hamilton there at all (don't think that's him right of MacLeod).

Johnny MacLeod looks like Rambo.

Don't think that's John Chambers to the left of MacLeod as I don't think he was with us then? He looks maddeningly familiar though.

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 09:59:58 AM »
What a great picture. Two kits - what looks like the total club staff and something very different to normal pre season photos. I can just hear my old team manager yelling " Stop grouping, stop grouping!"

Offline Ron Manager

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »
I don't see Willie Hamilton there at all (don't think that's him right of MacLeod).

Johnny MacLeod looks like Rambo.

Don't think that's John Chambers to the left of MacLeod as I don't think he was with us then? He looks maddeningly familiar though.

On second thoughts I agree with you re Hamilton but it must have been a first teamer judging by the shirt. The only that's irritating me is the bloke next to Alan Deakin I remember him but why Im not sure. Im in Shrewsbury next week Ill pop into Dave Pountneys shop and see if he can remember him.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2016, 10:06:42 PM »
This is so good - would love a print of that photo.

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 12:31:18 AM »
At the top right of the picture is a group which I think are the ground staff. They include a bald man with a woman (they look like they are holding hands).I think the man is 'Mush' Callaghan a stalwart of the team in the immediate pre and post war era. Mush was awarded an Empire Medal for his part in rescuing someone from a damaged factory in WW2 at great personal risk whilst a serving police officer. He lived at 50 Nelson Road at the time. He went on to become a Villa groundsman actually living in a cottage at Villa Park (sited on the Trinity Road side of the Witton  End).

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 12:34:51 AM »
Is the one to the right of Tony Hateley Steve Staunton's dad?

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 07:20:25 PM »
Another interesting picture from the same era.

Geoff Fellows, Stanley Horne, Dennis Baker 1963

Horne was the first black player in the history of his first three teams -  Villa, Manchester City and Fulham.

Offline Ron Manager

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 07:50:44 PM »
Another interesting picture from the same era.

Geoff Fellows, Stanley Horne, Dennis Baker 1963

Horne was the first black player in the history of his first three teams -  Villa, Manchester City and Fulham.

Stan Horne although it never gets mentioned was, I think, the first man of colour to captain a football league side....Fulham for whom he played consistently well.  Don't remember Dennis Baker at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal