collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hillsborough  (Read 36919 times)

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: Hillsborough
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 12:50:49 PM »
Forgive me, what did WM Police have to do with it?

Their role in bullying people into changing their Witness Statements, for example.   

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 12:51:07 PM »
Forgive me, what did WM Police have to do with it?
They were the force tasked with investigating whether or not there was a cover up by SY Police. And said there was no cover up.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2016, 12:55:56 PM »
Fair play to the BBC who are reading out the verdicts on each of the 96 with their estimated time of death. And they make a mockery of the original inquest that they were all dead by sixteen minutes past three.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2020
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2016, 12:56:42 PM »
Thanks. Never heard of that. Suppose it isn't surprising that a police force finds in favour of another police force.

I'd also like to see prosecutions. Can the Sun be sued? Is the MP that made unfounded allegations still alive and if so can they be done for slander?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 12:56:55 PM »
The fans behaviour didn't contribute to the disaster.

Can't see how it could have been.  The only way it could be argued that it was would be the crush outside the turnstiles, but that only happened because of delays on the roads and the funnel system that had been used previously wasn't in place that day due to an oversight. 

I obviously can't speak for the relatives and friends of the victims, but if what happened on the day was terrible, the cover ups and smear campaign that followed was arguably even worse.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2016, 12:57:54 PM »
That's the thing.

Imagine going through this:

At the gymnasium, families were made to queue outside in the cold, clear night, then eventually brought in and told to look through Polaroid photographs of all those who died, not grouped by age or gender. Families whose loved ones had bus passes or other identifying documents on them were also made to go through this process. When their dead relatives were brought out to them, they were in those body bags. Several parents testified that they were told they could not hold or kiss their dead children because they were “the property of the coroner”.

Dr Stefan Popper, the coroner, who approved the arrangements, ordered blood samples to be taken from all victims and tested for alcohol – even the children, even Jon-Paul Gilhooley, the youngest, aged 10. It has now been revealed that some people lying injured in hospital also had their blood taken, and tested for alcohol. Popper has never fully explained why he decided it was appropriate to take and test people’s blood.

.. and then 27 years of lies and slander from the police, government and media, at various points.

It beggars belief.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2016, 01:01:05 PM »
Found a chilling clip on youtube of our League Cup quarter final at Upton Park in January '89, three months before Hillsborough.

Watch from 21 mins, when the crowd spills onto the pitch. I remember being terrified at the time, and I was quite a way up near the top. I still find it amazing the game went on with fans standing in the penalty area. 

Had there been fences at Upton Park that day, Hillsborough would have happened to us. Still, not a single lesson was learnt and we all know what happened in Sheffield.   

https://youtu.be/R5T9nMBeH2I

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2020
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2016, 01:03:41 PM »
That's fucking horrible. Bastards.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 10.12.2015
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2016, 01:20:41 PM »
A great day for the families of the victims, can't believe it's taken a lifetime.

One question though, without wishing to antagonise anyone, although clearly the police made all the errors, surely the thing that started that chain of events was far more fans turning up than the number of tickets allocated? Surprised that didn't get mentioned in the summary of the jury's verdict.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2016, 01:21:53 PM »
I'm tearful too Woofles.
Hopefully The Sun will now publish a front page apology to the fans but I'm not holding my breath.

Whilst The Sun will hopefully get their long overdue comeuppance, surely today should just be about the victims and their families.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2016, 01:24:01 PM »

Offline Nev

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »
Found a chilling clip on youtube of our League Cup quarter final at Upton Park in January '89, three months before Hillsborough.

Watch from 21 mins, when the crowd spills onto the pitch. I remember being terrified at the time, and I was quite a way up near the top. I still find it amazing the game went on with fans standing in the penalty area. 

Had there been fences at Upton Park that day, Hillsborough would have happened to us. Still, not a single lesson was learnt and we all know what happened in Sheffield.   

https://youtu.be/R5T9nMBeH2I

I bought a seat that night and watched all that unfold so the events at the FACup semi came as no surprise.

I cannot express my admiration enough for those that continued to fight against all the odds, heroes come in all shapes and sizes and not always in uniform.

Offline Nev

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2016, 01:26:37 PM »
A great day for the families of the victims, can't believe it's taken a lifetime.

One question though, without wishing to antagonise anyone, although clearly the police made all the errors, surely the thing that started that chain of events was far more fans turning up than the number of tickets allocated? Surprised that didn't get mentioned in the summary of the jury's verdict.

It didn't get mentioned because it wasn't true. Thats the point about today. The truth.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »
My partner's cousin hasn't been to a match since Hillsborough, he was traumatised by what he saw.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2016, 01:29:17 PM »

It wasn't the number of fans arriving at the ground, it was the fact that they were funnelled through a very small part of the ground. Just look at how the pens either side were relatively empty. And look at footage of Wolves v Spurs at Hillsbrough a few years earlier (81?) where something similar happened