collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why Are WE Hated ?  (Read 16505 times)

Offline alftitimus

Why Are WE Hated ?
« on: April 13, 2016, 02:04:26 AM »
I've spent the past 2/3 days, using my breaks, to scour other club forums.
About any reference to us, because a couple of work colleagues seem to think we are the
laughing stock of football. They ain't noses nor dogheads no idea who they support.
In fact I don't think they've ever been to any match in 10 years -
-perhaps they don't like me ?  :D

Anyway...... we are referenced on every bloody forum I've found so far.
Man U to Sheffield  U even.
Hartlepool and even Stevenage and Nuneaton.

And all of the cr@p I've seen is pick-ups from our sites. Records under Lambert, records about to be broken etc. All bad, and all with "jolly jape" comments by the clever supporters of BIG  clubs like the Dogheads.

I accept that we are a figure of fun to others, and one blouse forum is running a stupid thread about our demise that almost equals villa threads about their demise.
Perhaps it's time to make friends and break bread as they say ?  :D

It is about the "Hate" i'm concerned about.
Not just the petty jibes from our nearest rivals, but the viscious repitition of stats other fans have picked up-  from our own forums. JEEZ

I never realised we were hated

But, like Man Utd years ago we seem to have more people hate us than pity us.

At best I would have thought that we would always be a mid-table side that now and again picked up a fan or two who stuck with  us, and grew slowly.Globally.

I hate to say this, but the most common jibe / insult /comment I've read so far
--- is about us. The "fans"

We are supposed to be living in 'Victorian times' or living in the past.
We expect to be top-table because of our history

We have an owner who has sunk -  and may never recover - over £300 million in our club, and we HATE HIM.

So we, the fans who protest against him are the actual figures of fun.
The reason why we seem to be hated by other fans.

I would suggest,if you are as suicidal as I was, to use a search engine and trawl other forums.
Forget our locals - just go further afield, and see that we are hated.

WHY For Goodnss Sake ?

Offline mr underhill

Re: Why Are WE Hated ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 07:03:52 AM »
it's just 'bants' Alf. Chill.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:15:15 AM »
I don't think it is bants. I believe people when they say they dislike us, but unless you are another West Midlands club I can't see why we would be unlikeable to anyone else other than maybe Newcastle. I get that we are shit and have been for years and the arguments based around the football but not us as a club or the fans.

Anyway fuck them, we aren't here to be liked.

As for Man. United fans they are dicks who even hate each other, who cares what they think?

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 07:31:36 AM »
How can you hate a club that routinely gives you six points season-after-season; will ensure that your poor run of form is brought to an end; that will allow your misfiring striker to get back on the goal-scoring track; will routinely sell out their away allocation bringing a load of dosh into your club without troubling you with anything other than an easy home win; and, even if you're in a lower division, present a decent opportunity for a cup "shock"?

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 07:38:01 AM »
A lot of the noise being generated by our demise is effectively a back-handed compliment because its a genuine story that a club like us is imploding in full view of everyone. When a `Boro or Norwich get relegated its not big news but a club of our size and stature is another matter. The Germans have a word for it - schadenfreude - which apparently translates as revelling in someone else's discomfort, we just have to live with it - cos it aint gonna change anytime soon.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 07:44:41 AM »
Its more complicated that have an owner who has sunk £300M in to the club. I bet none of the people on these other fora are asking how much of that he has recouped, despite there having been some big sales out of VP over the last ten years.

As for the Newcastle thing, that presumed hatred is based on a day in May 2009 where the events of that day have been getting worse ever since. If Newcastle are really so twisted over a banner or two (I didn't understand why anyone in our support would go to those lengths to take the piss either) and a few people laughing at them then they need help. No doubt our own support will get it (I'd assume not the banners) at Old Trafford on Saturday.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 07:53:25 AM »
It's because we matter to football and they don't...

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:12:05 AM »
We aren't hated. People just find our demise really funny, just like we would if somebody like Spurs or Man City were enjoying our current standing.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 08:22:52 AM »
Being hated is progress. In more recent seasons we've been completely ignored / disregarded by most.
The emotion from others comes in the realisation that if it could happen to a 'big' club, it could to any club. There'll be plenty more 'expert analyses' and fan-pis stakes before the end of this year; when we finally go down and as our new season commences.
I relish the pisstaking because it gives us a chance to remind people what our achievements have been, the depth of our support and the inevitability of outcry return to the top flight.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 08:39:16 AM »
Most people I know - even those who love to take the piss - have showed some level of sympathy for our current plight. Football is tribal, it's normal for fans to delight in the demise of other clubs to an extent but everything is accentuated by the internet. I think there are a lot of fans in 'real life' who are pretty shocked about what has happened to us this season and many of them sympathise. We have even seen evidence of that during games against the likes of Everton.

The general opinion I get from other fans is that Villa are a big club and belong in the top division.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 08:45:26 AM »
Most people I know - even those who love to take the piss - have showed some level of sympathy for our current plight. Football is tribal, it's normal for fans to delight in the demise of other clubs to an extent but everything is accentuated by the internet. I think there are a lot of fans in 'real life' who are pretty shocked about what has happened to us this season and many of them sympathise. We have even seen evidence of that during games against the likes of Everton.

The general opinion I get from other fans is that Villa are a big club and belong in the top division.

My experience as well. Even Spurs fans I work with have told me that they are disappointed we won't be in the league next season. In fact, other than our local rivals, I've been surprised at the level of sympathy/empathy we're receiving. You want to try getting our more on your lunch breaks, Alf, and start meeting real people.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 08:51:54 AM »
We aren't hated. People just find our demise really funny, just like we would if somebody like Spurs or Man City were enjoying our current standing.

Exactly.

Nobody I know hates us, most just take the piss a bit, but most also realise that a bad owner could happen to anybody.  The general feeling is that Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland deserve to go down because we've all three stunk out the division in recent years, and it's hard to argue with that.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 08:55:59 AM »
Everyone wants to see a 'big' club fall, especially one with a misplaced sense of self-importance. Just before we sent Newcastle down, it seemed the whole world of football was urging us on. After the game I even got a text of congratulation from a knuckledragger. I think it was that atmosphere that led to the banners.

We've gone beyond the threshold of embarrassment now, so some people are sympathetic. But in the tribal world of football, many will be very happy to see us go. Not least our local newspaper.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 08:56:52 AM »
Everyone I know did take the piss, now they just feel sorry for us (and are worried if it has happened to us, it could happen to them).

Offline HolmesyVilla

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
Still one of my favourite chants is
We are Villa
Aston Villa
No-one likes us
We don't care

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal