collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Seats on 7  (Read 18941 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Seats on 7
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2016, 01:53:30 PM »
So the sneering, such as it was, was weeks ago. Makes me wonder why a few felt the need to mention it today.

Offline peter w

« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2016, 02:02:03 PM »
And that's my point. It looked good. People talked about it. And nothing changed.

As others have pointed out, why should 'change' be a barometer of success?

Because the protest organisers have said they want change. If they didn't and all they wanted to do was complain about what's happening then they're a success. If you're making demands then if you don't get what you want then equally you've failed.

Well there has been change but obviously this has little to do with the organised protest I'd imagine. But in saying that we're no longer just ridiculed which is where we were just up to a week or two ago. We were lampooned. The protests have shown the popular media up if anything, that real people support Aston Villa, and there are serious issues to be highlighted, challenged, and poured over.

For numerous reasons, not least Shearer and Wright happy to see us where we are (et al) and the bbc allowing them to be as insightful as they are, we became list in their smug content. The protests deserve better support if for no other reason than the footballing fraternity remember we're here.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »
Those stupid stop the war protesters, hundreds of thousands of them. Failures. If only they'd said "We're mad about the war, but carry on if you must!" we could have considered them a success.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2016, 02:24:54 PM »
Those stupid stop the war protesters, hundreds of thousands of them. Failures. If only they'd said "We're mad about the war, but carry on if you must!" we could have considered them a success.

And don't get me started on that bloody Nelson Mandela.....

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2016, 02:39:42 PM »
They should have just done the banners again,

I'm in favour of this. I forgot to take the "Owls versus Gibbons" banner I made

Offline peter w

« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2016, 02:44:50 PM »
Okay but Dave W's point is still valid as was yours Risso in what we measure as the barometer of success. We won't get Villa sold but media interest becomes pressure for change. That has happened more to protect an investment than anything but it is as far removed as the Poll Tax riots as it is from them liking the sound if their own voices. But it is being done for the right reason and not for the sake of it.

Lerner can't send in the tanks to convey his legitimacy, he's used Krulak instead, but in the football world a few wins and she'll be right. That's the flippant nature of football supporting.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »
Okay but Dave W's point is still valid as was yours Risso in what we measure as the barometer of success. We won't get Villa sold but media interest becomes pressure for change. That has happened more to protect an investment than anything but it is as far removed as the Poll Tax riots as it is from them liking the sound if their own voices. But it is being done for the right reason and not for the sake of it.

Lerner can't send in the tanks to convey his legitimacy, he's used Krulak instead, but in the football world a few wins and she'll be right. That's the flippant nature of football supporting.

Fair enough, but why is there a time limit on these things as well?

As far as I recall, the protestors requests were that Lerner gave a statement about still wanting to sell, backing the club until he does, and puttibc a proper board in place.

Offline peter w

« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2016, 03:53:28 PM »

Fair enough, but why is there a time limit on these things as well?

As far as I recall, the protestors requests were that Lerner gave a statement about still wanting to sell, backing the club until he does, and puttibc a proper board in place.

because it's purely organic. displeasure grows as the seeds of discontent are nourished by further defeats. We start next season well and look on course to get promoted, then there will not be one call for Lerner to go. Protests in football are finite by their very nature. We'll boo a team off for being 5 down at half-time and yet hail them as world beaters when they trudge off at full-time having won 6-5.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #188 on: April 07, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »
Im all for the protests. Sure we're not gonna change much but it's about time the fans spoke up and registered their disgust at the way Lerner has humiliated us. Keep it going everyone.

I'm in full agreement with this. Do what you feel you need to, short of physical violence. Well, only on the players, if you must.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #189 on: April 07, 2016, 08:22:06 PM »
I am slightly surprised at how low-key the various protests have been given our predicament and inevitable relegation, I honestly believe the previous near misses we've endured over the last few seasons have - given the players we lost during the summer - inflicted an air of inevitability on most of us, the "You could see this coming" mindset has just numbed us into submission.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal