collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Taking back Villa  (Read 6804 times)

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
Re: Taking back Villa
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 08:05:37 AM »
The mechanism for doing all the above already exists. You form a company with the stated aim of taking over Aston Villa and issue shares. People buy as many or as few as they wish and when enough capital is raised you buy the club.

You would do well to sell three figures worth of shares, even though there are plenty of mugs about who are amenable to being talked into buying anything.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 08:21:56 AM »
It is a completely absurd idea that will never happen. Sadly

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »
Whilst I think the idea of a fan buyout is great, for reasons stated above, I just can't see it gaining sufficient levels of interest to raise the level of funds needed.  I think that any kind of movement to attract fans to buy in would need some serious backing by a number of wealthy individual's prepared to stump a significant part of the capital, and to also lend the credibility needed for the rest of us to have the confidence to also buy shares.

I think the first steps would be to gain support from some trusted figure heads who could attract larger investments. Tayls is a good shout for someone who is both well respected by the fans as well as carrying himself well in a commercial environment. Perhaps someone like Nigel Kennedy could attract both the media attention as well as a few wealthy benefactors who might buy into the idea.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 08:42:53 AM »
The problem we have is apathy, we all moan like hell but when it comes down to it we're traditionally poor at unifying and getting things done - look at the recent walk out protests many people just sat looking bewildered.

I like the idea of the supporters having part ownership of the club and a democratically elected member of the board. What has happened over the last five years to our club can never be allowed to happen again and if that means me chipping in 100 quid a year im all for it. If someone has the knowledge, time and motivation to make it happen then go for it.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
In American Football, the Packers are a good example.

The Packers had allot of assistance from the local government and populace, when they needed to rebuild Lambeau Field they had a referendum to ask the town if they would pay an extra tax to fund the rebuild. They voted to have the tax and the stadium was rebuilt, and it has lots of access for the town's folk and has bars etc... inside a wonderful atrium.

The population of Green Bay grows massively on game days with 'tailgates' going on all over the place and the bars are full. Bringing in much needed revenue to local businesses.

When it works it works well, but it needs allot of support from local government and the local population to make it work.

Offline FiveKenMcNaughts

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 10:09:53 AM »
While the notion is lovely. Realistically the easiest part would be raising the money, it's what happens after that would be the real issue.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 10:41:22 AM »
I don't think it would work at a club this size, I think Walsall is about as big as you could go with something like this.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 12:37:08 PM »
In American Football, the Packers are a good example.

The Packers had allot of assistance from the local government and populace, when they needed to rebuild Lambeau Field they had a referendum to ask the town if they would pay an extra tax to fund the rebuild. They voted to have the tax and the stadium was rebuilt, and it has lots of access for the town's folk and has bars etc... inside a wonderful atrium.

The population of Green Bay grows massively on game days with 'tailgates' going on all over the place and the bars are full. Bringing in much needed revenue to local businesses.

When it works it works well, but it needs allot of support from local government and the local population to make it work.

The other issue with the Packers is that the NFL is an organisation that actively promotes unity and income sharing to make the product as a whole more successful. The president of the Packers acknowledged as much when he said after they won the Superbowl in the 1990s that their success, indeed the team's continuing existence, was due to the decision to share TV revenue equally in the 1960s. This is far easier to do in a closed shop like the NFL, obviously teams and organisations are in competition with each other but it's not the same as football where we would simply end up being outspent by competitors at home and abroad.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 06:15:30 PM »
For anyone that doesn't believe buying back the club is possible, I'd urge non believers to watch the Swansea Documentary 'Jack to a King'. It's about the Swansea trust buying the club from the awful owner (who's name escapes me in the early 2000).
Admittedly they only paid £20k for the club. But it shows it can be done if people pull together.

Offline bigadamknight

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 10:38:59 PM »
I'd be interested to see what getting relegated does to the valuation. We do get the parachute payments which are £64m over 3 years but without Prem TV revenue he can't expect to receive £150m.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 10:54:06 PM »
Can I be Chairman?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 11:07:42 PM »
For anyone that doesn't believe buying back the club is possible, I'd urge non believers to watch the Swansea Documentary 'Jack to a King'. It's about the Swansea trust buying the club from the awful owner (who's name escapes me in the early 2000).
Admittedly they only paid £20k for the club. But it shows it can be done if people pull together.

They don't own the club - they were one member of a consortium and now own 21% with one director on the board.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 11:21:29 PM »
It's an inspired idea, with only one slight flaw.

2.2 million 'likes' doesn't necessarily mean the likee has any time for us at all.

Brian Little's facebook page had (dunno if it still has) a whole host of likes for Man U, Liverpool and all the other vomit clubs bar the Villa. When I asked him about this, he said he was doing a bit of work for Irish TV at the time and needed the updates. He didn't need any updates on the Villa because he knows all about us anyway.  Like a boss.

Then you'll have the Beijing Red types and the New Leicester For Life Thai fans who will click on all the PL clubs.  We are all just actors in the same show to them. Admittedly not their favourite actors, but they don't see owt wrong with spreading the love.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:28:05 PM by KevinGage »

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 11:47:25 PM »
I have more faith in our new structured board having a plan in place and appointing a decent manager. Hopefully we'll rebuild from here and we'll get promotion and become a saleable asset again for the right buyer.

I'm sure Randy does care enough to want this as well he just hasn't had the foggiest idea how until appointing Hollis.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2016, 02:28:11 AM »

They don't own the club - they were one member of a consortium and now own 21% with one director on the board.

And just like the other examples given it was when they were in Division 4, or lower. Had a massive debt, for that level, and I doubt just the fans have taken that club and debt over. They were only averaging about 5K at the time. And I think they had been bought for a quid once or twice not too long before that and still the debt remained.

So as I said about Exeter and Portsmouth, it's one thing doing it to a small club in Div 4 or non league that's on the brink of going out of business so it is cheap to buy, and run if 100% fan owned, compared to doing it to a club like Villa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal