collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hot off the Press  (Read 3996 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline Proposition Joe

Re: Hot off the Press
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 11:37:26 AM »
I certainly agree it seems the right man for the right time, but can it be done? Does he want to come and can we convince him we've hit rock bottom in terms of off the field shambles and are on our way back up?

I don't think there would be too many better offers from the premier league in the summer. Most of the managers seem safe, or there are replacements already lined up for those that are going. Swansea, Guidolin was just a stop-gap I think; Everton if they don't win the cup?; Saints or Watford if their managers want to move up to the next level?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 11:39:57 AM »
I certainly agree it seems the right man for the right time, but can it be done? Does he want to come and can we convince him we've hit rock bottom in terms of off the field shambles and are on our way back up?

I don't think there would be too many better offers from the premier league in the summer. Most of the managers seem safe, or there are replacements already lined up for those that are going. Swansea, Guidolin was just a stop-gap I think; Everton if they don't win the cup?; Saints or Watford if their managers want to move up to the next level?

He won't want to go back to Everton and who have more chance of top six and trophies regularly with the right manager - Villa or any of those you mentioned?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 11:49:07 AM »

He won't want to go back to Everton and who have more chance of top six and trophies regularly with the right manager - Villa or any of those you mentioned?

I think that any of those clubs has just as much chance to be honest Dave. The new TV deal has been a welcome leveller, and notions of 'big club' are going to be increasingly less relevant. A club like Soton will never have as many fans as us, but with ticket money making up an ever decreasing percentage of revenue, I'm not sure it makes much difference. Unless I've misunderstood your point.

Offline Boz

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 11:58:04 AM »

I can see why Moyes looks to be the best of what's available, but he's not an inspirational manager, and he's another Scot.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »

I can see why Moyes looks to be the best of what's available, but he's not an inspirational manager, and he's another Scot.

So because McLeish and Lambert didn't work we can't hire another scot? Garde and Houllier haven't worked in recent years either so does this rule out another Frenchman?

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 12:19:25 PM »
Spot on from start to finish - print it out and slip it under that door marked Directors Only.

Offline Boz

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 12:20:48 PM »

So because McLeish and Lambert didn't work we can't hire another scot? Garde and Houllier haven't worked in recent years either so does this rule out another Frenchman?

Yes unless Laurent Blanc or Didier Deschamps

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »

Arsene Wenger?

Offline Diablo

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
Send for Moyes "He’s proved he can maager at the level we should be at, he’s in need of rehabilitation and he won’t stand any messing from a bunch of pampered prima donnas. Best of all, he’s not Nigel Pearson."

Haha! Superb closing line Dave.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 01:02:23 PM »

As a fan I don't need the next manager to be inspirational as a specific quality or trait. I need him to be able to competently do his job and have a track record that suggests he will bring instant credibility to the position. His nationality has nothing to do with it. Appointing David Moyes will be greeted in much the same way as MON was. The prospect of having an established manager that we can trust to bring us back up is inspiration enough.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
He is the outstanding choice for me.  I just hope the new board can sell the club to him if he is interested.   

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »

Arsene Wenger?

He's more German than French?

Offline postal

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 01:20:22 PM »
He is the outstanding choice for me.  I just hope the new board can sell the club to him if he is interested.

Recently they haven't been able to sell the club to anyone, as Lerner will tell you  ;D

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 01:25:45 PM »

I think that any of those clubs has just as much chance to be honest Dave. The new TV deal has been a welcome leveller, and notions of 'big club' are going to be increasingly less relevant. A club like Soton will never have as many fans as us, but with ticket money making up an ever decreasing percentage of revenue, I'm not sure it makes much difference. Unless I've misunderstood your point.

Outside money has only been a factor for about ten years but the big clubs have invariably been the big clubs. That's why I said "regularly". Smaller clubs will have their time in the sun - Ipswich, Forest, now Leicester - but the natural order will eventually hold sway.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal