collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brian Little Speaks  (Read 58866 times)

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
Re: Brian Little Speaks
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 01:32:19 PM »
I wonder if he still wears a magic hat. Is there nothing he can't do?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:40:05 PM by The Laughing Policeman »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »
I like that he's spent some time looking at the Championship, and has identified the type of player that we need in the squad and importantly the type we need to get out of the division (around 25.40 on)

Offline ronshirt

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2016, 05:34:04 PM »
Journey to school involved Wylde Green station. Brian Little was sometimes stood at the end of  the other platform down by the coal bunker. The other memory was of the goals he scored from a breakaway after an opposition corner. He would stand on the halfway line approx inside right position. Corner would be cleared out to him. Running parallel to the touch line he would flick the ball over his head and his opponent with his right foot. He would then cut inside leaving opponent for dead, head for goal and more often than not score.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2016, 07:18:50 PM »
I remember him playing a match away at Forest on a cold night when they were well good, I think we lost 3 or 4 nil, he was on the wing
I don't think he touched the ball all night and looked disinterested all match, he could be a lazy fella when the mood took him,

I still love him though, as he was magic on a lot more occasions

Offline peter w

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2016, 11:26:40 PM »
I remember him playing a match away at Forest on a cold night when they were well good, I think we lost 3 or 4 nil, he was on the wing
I don't think he touched the ball all night and looked disinterested all match, he could be a lazy fella when the mood took him,

Wha..............? I'm sorry but this kind of sedition surely is a step too far.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2016, 12:25:35 PM »

Wha..............? I'm sorry but this kind of sedition surely is a step too far.

Forgive me father for I have sinned

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2016, 12:31:57 PM »

Brian was a very naughty boy at times.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2016, 12:42:03 PM »

Forgive me father for I have sinned

You are very lucky that blasphemy is no longer a criminal offence in this country.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2016, 01:08:32 PM »
I don't know who wrote this old blog, but I love it

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/heroesarchive/best/1.htm

Especially this bit about a night I remember very well.

His testimonial in May 1982 showed the full extent of his loss to football, as playing on one leg he destroyed an England XI who were shortly to play in the World Cup. That tournament would have been a fitting stage for the talents of Brian Little, yet the career of one of the most brilliant players Villa Park has ever seen had been cut short at the age of twenty seven.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2016, 08:19:12 PM »
One of my biggest gripes with Doug is that his lack of credible sincerity failed to build long term 'Aston Villa love' in the players of his tenure.

Other than Brian I can't think of one single former player who's advisory appointment could bring me this much optimism.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2016, 09:30:21 PM »
I don't know who wrote this old blog, but I love it

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/heroesarchive/best/1.htm

Especially this bit about a night I remember very well.

His testimonial in May 1982 showed the full extent of his loss to football, as playing on one leg he destroyed an England XI who were shortly to play in the World Cup. That tournament would have been a fitting stage for the talents of Brian Little, yet the career of one of the most brilliant players Villa Park has ever seen had been cut short at the age of twenty seven.

One of mine.

Offline croatian

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2016, 06:08:25 AM »
Should be on another thread I know, but I'm pretty sure I saw his debut against Torquay. Coming on as a sub and scoring from a poor backpass to the keeper at the Witton end. He anticipated it and started running before the defender played the ball.

I've not googled it in case I destroy a treasured memory!

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2016, 06:40:47 AM »
Should be on another thread I know, but I'm pretty sure I saw his debut against Torquay. Coming on as a sub and scoring from a poor backpass to the keeper at the Witton end. He anticipated it and started running before the defender played the ball.

I don't think it was his debut as I believe he had come on as sub in an away game previously. As to the incident you mentioned I think he intercepted a back pass and squared it for Andy Lochead who scored. He who walks on water did bag himself a goal in the second half in the 5-1 victory which I'm sure was televised by Star Soccer, however all recordings from that era were unfortunately destroyed by ATV.

Offline croatian

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2016, 06:57:36 AM »

I don't think it was his debut as I believe he had come on as sub in an away game previously. As to the incident you mentioned I think he intercepted a back pass and squared it for Andy Lochead who scored. He who walks on water did bag himself a goal in the second half in the 5-1 victory which I'm sure was televised by Star Soccer, however all recordings from that era were unfortunately destroyed by ATV.

You know, I think you're spot on!
Much appreciated.

Playing towards the Witton in the first half?
We even used to win the toss in them days.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 07:02:04 AM by croatian »

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2016, 03:08:38 PM »
BL's debut was as a sub (20 mins) against Blackburn.

His goal v Torquay was the fourth and was scored at the Witton End towards the end of the first half following a corner.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal