collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brian Little Speaks  (Read 58620 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: Brian Little Speaks
« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2016, 09:44:01 PM »
I wonder what Sir Brian makes of our mainly inept performances this season? He should be advising Tony to pull the trigger and get Bruce in!

What makes you not think that he was advising on the appointment in the first place.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #256 on: September 18, 2016, 10:26:37 PM »
Well, Sir Brian was brought is as an advisor to the board, so naturally you'd expect him to advise the board ffs!

Offline ClarrieBlue

« Reply #257 on: September 18, 2016, 10:40:08 PM »
One game that sticks in my mind was an FA Cup Replay against Southampton. It was in the days of Tommy Docherty and we had drawn 2-2 at The Dell. I reckon the crowd was 65000 but I could be delusional. I remember Dave Rudge skipped over a massive sliding tackle from a bloke called John McGrath to cross for a Peter Broadbent headed goal. It was a Wednesday night and when we played at home again on the following Saturday, you could still see the stud marks in the pitch from the sliding tackle. Have I got my facts right?

Offline papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #258 on: September 19, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »
One game that sticks in my mind was an FA Cup Replay against Southampton. It was in the days of Tommy Docherty and we had drawn 2-2 at The Dell. I reckon the crowd was 65000 but I could be delusional. I remember Dave Rudge skipped over a massive sliding tackle from a bloke called John McGrath to cross for a Peter Broadbent headed goal. It was a Wednesday night and when we played at home again on the following Saturday, you could still see the stud marks in the pitch from the sliding tackle. Have I got my facts right?
I remember the game well. We were on a double decker coming down College Road but not going very far due to the huge volume of traffic. A few of us decided to jump off and run the rest of the way in case we missed the start of the game. As we were jogging past The Barn the bus cruised past and we had the piss taken out of us by all on board.
I don't think it was 65K though, more like 60K.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2016, 02:45:58 PM »
I remember the game well. We were on a double decker coming down College Road but not going very far due to the huge volume of traffic. A few of us decided to jump off and run the rest of the way in case we missed the start of the game. As we were jogging past The Barn the bus cruised past and we had the piss taken out of us by all on board.
59084 was the attandance. If you are thinking of the goal scored in front of the Holte from a Rudge cross was Lionel Martin a tap in rather than a header after Godfrey dummied at the near post stepping over ball
for Martin to finish. I can't recall the goal at the Witton End by Broadbent at all for some reason. That may have been a header from a Rudge cross.
The first game was brilliant 2-0 up at HT through Godfrey and Hole, thousands of Villa in the 27k crowd absolutely swamping the Milton Rd end. Plus rather unfortunately for a wedding fans running everywhere around church grounds when trying to take wedding photos. Heady days as a 14 yr old

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #260 on: September 19, 2016, 04:11:31 PM »
59084 was the attandance. If you are thinking of the goal scored in front of the Holte from a Rudge cross was Lionel Martin a tap in rather than a header after Godfrey dummied at the near post stepping over ball
for Martin to finish. I can't recall the goal at the Witton End by Broadbent at all for some reason. That may have been a header from a Rudge cross.
The first game was brilliant 2-0 up at HT through Godfrey and Hole, thousands of Villa in the 27k crowd absolutely swamping the Milton Rd end. Plus rather unfortunately for a wedding fans running everywhere around church grounds when trying to take wedding photos. Heady days as a 14 yr old

I was there with my Dad, it was an amazing atmosphere, when the Doc took over from Cummings that season it was such a roller coaster,  I was certain of us storming our way back to the top flight the following 69/70 season but it didn't quite work out that way.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #261 on: September 19, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »
I wonder what Sir Brian makes of our mainly inept performances this season? He should be advising Tony to pull the trigger and get Bruce in!

Personally I think our performances have been better than our results suggest. Although I admit results are what matter. As for Bruce I think he is a decent manager but the last time we appointed a former Small Heath manager it didn't end well. And just like McLeish he also managed to get the noses relegated. I also recall drinking with Small Heath season ticket holders at the time and even when things were going well they were moaning about his style of football.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #262 on: September 19, 2016, 04:42:39 PM »
Well, Sir Brian was brought is as an advisor to the board, so naturally you'd expect him to advise the board ffs!

If you refer back to my comment, I was asking if you didn't think he advised the owner on RDM.  Clearly you don't think so.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #263 on: November 04, 2018, 07:19:22 PM »
I was just seeing on Twitter that Sir Brian has a book out soon

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2018, 07:26:39 PM »
I've got a signed copy of this.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #265 on: November 04, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »

I have a Brian Little book. 'The Return Of The Little Villan'. I haven't read it for while but I think it was pretty much what it said on the tin. It was pretty much all about his return to Villa as a manager. So a proper autobiography would be interesting. After a good playing career sadly cut short he made a terrific start to his managerial career at Darlington (two promotions I think), Leicester (another promotion after a couple of close misses) and winning a trophy with Villa. There seem to be various reasons put forward for how, when and why he left his post as Villa manager so it would be good to hear his side of the story. Sadly his managerial career went progressively downhill from there at Stoke, Albion, Hull, Tranmere and Wrexham.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #266 on: November 04, 2018, 07:50:43 PM »

I have a Brian Little book. 'The Return Of The Little Villan'. I haven't read it for while but I think it was pretty much what it said on the tin. It was pretty much all about his return to Villa as a manager. So a proper autobiography would be interesting. After a good playing career sadly cut short he made a terrific start to his managerial career at Darlington (two promotions I think), Leicester (another promotion after a couple of close misses) and winning a trophy with Villa. There seem to be various reasons put forward for how, when and why he left his post as Villa manager so it would be good to hear his side of the story. Sadly his managerial career went progressively downhill from there at Stoke, Albion, Hull, Tranmere and Wrexham.

Ending up finally I think at Gainsborough Trinity and then as consultant to the Jersey FA if memory serves.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #267 on: November 04, 2018, 08:00:32 PM »
There was a very good programme about Brian Little on Talksport a year or so back. I can't remember the name of it but it was one of a series of 'looking back' interviews Danny Kelly did. It was very much dominated by his playing and managing spells at Villa and if I remember right he was consultant to the Jersey FA at the time of the interview.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #268 on: November 04, 2018, 08:12:24 PM »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #269 on: November 04, 2018, 08:36:09 PM »
And me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal