collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brian Little Speaks  (Read 58835 times)

Offline martin@ardenley

• Administrator
  • GM : 01.01.2024
Brian Little Speaks
« on: March 23, 2016, 04:55:20 PM »
From the OS

Brian Little discusses his return to Aston Villa.

On coming back…

I think it would be very difficult to put exactly into words how proud I feel.

I am only too delighted to help in any way I can - whether that be in a small way or a large way.

On how he was appointed…

The Chairman put the call into me and asked me the question.

We met and things have snowballed since then.

To be here and hope I can help is the most important thing in my mind.

I will try very hard to have some input.

On the role…

You think you know something about a club when you've played for them and managed them but then you come in and there are reams of paperwork about what's going on behind the scenes.

There's a lot going on and when I've got to grips with that, I can really start helping the Board make decisions, which are hopefully good decisions.

But it's fascinating and I'm genuinely chuffed to bits to say the least.

On the challenge ahead…

The team are currently in a very difficult position.

I'd love to be part of something that starts going back in the right direction.

On his personality…

I will give an opinion. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a loud person. But you don't have to be loud to have an opinion on things and be heard.

The key is that it is worthwhile and honest. That's what I will do. I have always been like that - and won't change now.

It's not a case of saying the right things at the right times.

I think the important thing for me is to have the belief in saying what you think is the right thing. Then it's up to other people whether they take that advice.

I won't say what other people want to hear if I don't believe in it. That has always led me in the right direction.

On the feedback from fans…

It's been fantastic - I've been humbled by it all.

I have been very, very fortunate to have played for the club from a young age - playing in an era where it rose back from its lowest point to its highest point. That was a fantastic era for me.

Coming back as a manager, there was a little something - that people touched on - that sometimes you go back to a club and if it doesn't work you have a little mark against you.

That was a concern but management went really well for me and we were really successful.

I can go back to Villa Park now and people will talk about me as a player and a manager - now they will talk about player, manager and advisor.

I am very hopeful that the third time around will go somewhere near as well as the previous two attempts.

On his career so far…

It's been 46 years since I joined Aston Villa. I have mentioned this to the staff - and to the young lads there.

I said to the young lads 'if you're here at the training ground 46 years on from this point in time and stand where I'm standing, you'll have had a great life, let me tell you!' I have had a fantastic ride and journey.

I know I want to do well and I will try very hard to do well.

I just want to replicate my two previous visits here. That's very important to me.

On tapping into contacts…

Of course, it's important to work with the people I know in the game.

There are so many players that I come across now that are coaches, who keep in touch with me.

There are lots of managers who I have tussled with in the past. I have a nice mix with that.

And there's also the media side, which I have worked with on and off for the last 10 years.

I have covered lots of Premier League, Champions League, Europa League, Football League, Conference matches…you name it.

In the last two weeks, in fact, I have seen 12 games of football - and commentated on 10.

I can't stay away from football. Some ask 'don't you get fed up with it' and the answer is no.

On the Board…

The brilliant thing is that we all bring something different to the table.

I think that's the most important thing - that blend.

The short time we have spent together, we have already hit it off.

That's because we have a common ground - and that's trying to do really, really well for Aston Villa.

Their knowledge and their ability in their fields allied to my football knowhow, I believe, will be a great combination.

The great thing is we are all very keen to do our very best for this great football club.

We want to turn the fortunes around here.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:59:34 PM by martin@ardenley »

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
Re: Brian Little Speaks
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 05:00:21 PM »
<choke>

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 05:31:22 PM »
True Villan, if the current shower had 25% of his love and commitment of this great club we wouldn't be where we are now.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
This man puts the previous muppet brigade into perspective - all about the club, all about the fans, all about the love....

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 06:11:15 PM »
He's only here until the end of the season as quoted in the B'ham Mail today. Can't believe he's only been given 2 months. Says he wants stay next season; surely it's a long term fix required?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »
legend

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 06:40:45 PM »
Love the bloke, one of us.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 06:44:46 PM »
In 50/60 years time (one or two on here may hopefully still be alive) the name Brian Little will be spoken of in the same reverential  way that we here now talk of the likes of: McGregor, Rinder, Hunter, Stephenson, Walker and Waring et al.  True Villa men.  Brian Little is special. 

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 06:55:25 PM »
I know the bloke can walk on water, but fixing our woes in two months? Someone's taking the piss!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 07:20:23 PM »
I know the bloke can walk on water, but fixing our woes in two months? Someone's taking the piss!

Rather deflating, isn't it? Hopefully they'll see sense and keep him on in some capacity. It's not like they don't need the help. Leaving the football decisions to King, a life long fan and Bernstein, a football administrator, hardly fills me with confidence in that department.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 07:36:01 PM »
He's only here until the end of the season as quoted in the B'ham Mail today. Can't believe he's only been given 2 months. Says he wants stay next season; surely it's a long term fix required?

As far as I was aware he was he for the foreseeable future, not until the end of the season. Has the mail stated that he is only in post for two months then?

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 07:36:51 PM »
In 50/60 years time (one or two on here may hopefully still be alive) the name Brian Little will be spoken of in the same reverential  way that we here now talk of the likes of: McGregor, Rinder, Hunter, Stephenson, Walker and Waring et al.  True Villa men.  Brian Little is special. 
Some of us already do dave.
You're right mate...he is very special and always was.
I hope he's involved for the longer term.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 07:56:48 PM »
Some of us already do dave.
You're right mate...he is very special and always was.
I hope he's involved for the longer term.
I've thought of a banner.....             

AVFC
              LIFE OF BRIAN

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:00:41 PM by The Edge »

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 08:02:11 PM »
Love this guy.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 08:30:49 PM »
Think he's here to find the new manager. two months should do it!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal