collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: David Bernstein Speaks.  (Read 16174 times)

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
Re: David Bernstein Speaks.
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2016, 08:20:18 AM »
I think its good that when you pass retirement age you can take up a hobby. For the great and the the good it usually takes the form of directorships. Three or four meetings a year, a good lunch and appx  £ 60k for your trouble.

They've got to earn a crust.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2016, 08:26:16 AM »
Don't know whether this has already been posted, but Bernstein is interestingly stating the bleedin' obvious in this article from the Grauniad

David Bernstein warns relegation will make Aston Villa difficult to sell 

David Bernstein has warned that Aston Villa will now be even harder to sell as they stand on the brink of relegation.
The Villa owner, Randy Lerner, has failed to find a buyer for the club after putting it on the market more than two years ago.
Bernstein, the former chairman of the Football Association, was appointed to Villa’s board this month during a shake-up.
    Tom Fox, the club’s chief executive, and the sporting director, Hendrik Almstadt, both left last week during chairman Steve Hollis’s review of the club. The former governor of the Bank of England Mervyn King is also a new director while Bernstein will head up a four-man football board to oversee the playing side of the club. Villa, bottom of the table and 12 points from safety, face relegation from the Premier League and Bernstein knows it will be a struggle to find new owners. He said: “I’m just stating the obvious, that when a club is in decline and relegation starts to be threatened it seems fairly obvious that the attraction of the Premier League – which is frankly what most owners are looking for – becomes less certain. Then there are bound to be issues about selling it.
“That seems fairly obvious but I haven’t been involved at all in the process and I don’t know who he has spoken to or not. The club must be more difficult to sell now for any decent sum than it was a year ago. I believe he [Lerner] is obviously devastated the club is where it is but he should be given great credit for a lot of terrific work he’s done over the years.”
Speculation also continues to surround Rémi Garde’s future after Villa’s sixth successive loss following their 1-0 defeat at Swansea City on Saturday. Bernstein has held extensive talks with Garde and conceded that he was in a difficult position but was impressed with his professionalism.
He said: “I had two and a half hours with him at my home last Wednesday. He came down and I had a very good meeting with him. He is a very civilised, dedicated, professional and passionate person. I have only met him once and I’ve got a lot of respect for him already but he’s got a very tough job on.”
I applaud the addition of the experience and intellect that our reconstituted board represents. I am also angry that this did not happen 12 months' ago (or c.8 years' ago!).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:28:52 AM by Mister E »

Offline Mister E

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2016, 08:30:27 AM »
I think its good that when you pass retirement age you can take up a hobby. For the great and the the good it usually takes the form of directorships. Three or four meetings a year, a good lunch and appx  £ 60k for your trouble.

With the right people, it represents far better value than players on £60k a week (I refer the right honourable gentleman to NZog, as an example) ...
It all depends who is brought onto the board.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »

With the right people, it represents far better value than players on £60k a week (I refer the right honourable gentleman to NZog, as an example) ...

is that c*** still on the books??

Offline Mister E

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2016, 09:14:26 AM »

He is, and there are other examples ...

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2016, 10:51:11 AM »

Apparently he was very good at Wigan once...

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2016, 11:08:37 AM »

Apparently he was very good at Wigan once...

for about 8 games

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2016, 12:32:53 PM »
at least he will be gone soon -  hugely richer financially but impoverished as a footballer

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2016, 01:29:41 PM »
The trouble is, we will still have (apart from Richardson) everyone else in the First team squad, who all have at least 12 months left on their contracts.
Unfortunately, if we get rid of Garde, we'll end up with the next manager giving contracts to most, if not all of the feckers that will have got us relegated. As has been said by several posters on other threads.

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2016, 03:28:52 PM »
at least he will be gone soon -  hugely richer financially but impoverished as a footballer
I just hope if it's Nigel Pearson he gets 5 minutes with Zog before he goes. I'd pay to see that.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »
yep he'd need a fucking truckload of miracle grow to regrow the useless potplanted turd

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »
He made mention of some more imminent decisions in his interview on Monday, wonder what they are and when they will happen or whether they have had a change of heart on Remi.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal