collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Joseph Barton on Aston Villa  (Read 5301 times)

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
Re: Joseph Barton on Aston Villa
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »
I don't dislike Barton these days, he seems to have grown up a bit and certainly understands the game better than most pundits.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »
Yeah Sheffield because we like our prize arseholes just to be incompetent players, not nasty people as well.

Precisely. Glad you agree. And we've got enough of those already.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:17:30 AM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 10:16:14 AM »
We're going to need one or two Bartons next season - not him per se but players of his ilk, otherwise we're going to get chewed up in that league.  You've got to earn the right to play first.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 10:21:04 AM »
Sure you were expecting this Sheffield but no I do not agree, I believe at times over the last 4 or 5 years we as Villa fans have become very, looking for the right word, but up our own arses may have to do, when it comes to player selection and those who wear as being fit to wear the shirt.
Players that have been linked on the transfer speculation threads over the years and the screams of not fit to wear the shirt, total arse hole him and we have gone and picked the very nice and polite but absolutly shite Westwoods of this world, I may hate his character but give me a centre half in the John Terry mould, a midfielder like Barton, a forward like Costa and you can guarantee we would not be where we are now and prima donnas like Gabby and Richards would be playing where they should be now at non league level.

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 11:44:53 AM »
Sure you were expecting this Sheffield but no I do not agree, I believe at times over the last 4 or 5 years we as Villa fans have become very, looking for the right word, but up our own arses may have to do, when it comes to player selection and those who wear as being fit to wear the shirt.
Players that have been linked on the transfer speculation threads over the years and the screams of not fit to wear the shirt, total arse hole him and we have gone and picked the very nice and polite but absolutly shite Westwoods of this world, I may hate his character but give me a centre half in the John Terry mould, a midfielder like Barton, a forward like Costa and you can guarantee we would not be where we are now and prima donnas like Gabby and Richards would be playing where they should be now at non league level.

No, I was being a little tongue in cheek!

I completely get where you're coming from, and agree we need someone with a bit of steel in the midfield and a leader in defence. There are plenty of such players out there who don't behave like Barton and Terry though.

I don't think it's up our own arses to want players who have a character commensurate with the history and (former) standards of this great club. And yes, we have far too many players who don't live up to that already. There's no reason to add another. You might want the club to be associated with racial incidents and thuggery, I don't.

And as an aside, if Barton is still such a top notch player, why is he playing in the Championship?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:48:05 AM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »
Barton can hardly be held accountable for the actions of a relative if that's the 'racial incident' you mean.

He's done some unpleasant things in his past but seems to have matured, personally I think he'd be ideal for us,can just see him asking Westwood what the fuck it is he keeps pointing at.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 01:28:23 PM »
Barton can hardly be held accountable for the actions of a relative if that's the 'racial incident' you mean.

He's done some unpleasant things in his past but seems to have matured, personally I think he'd be ideal for us,can just see him asking Westwood what the fuck it is he keeps pointing at.

He is a good pundit because he says it as it is. On R5 he was calling Fox a clown for the comments on increased revenues being important etc

Agree, that he would be good for us next season

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 01:35:37 PM »
Regardless of his moral attributes, I would get him down B6 doublequick.
He obviously knows his onions and I suspect he has a liking for us.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »
He's got it spot on about us.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 02:13:13 PM »
When he was jailed I remember a couple of 5 Live reporters speaking in glowing terms about him, they said if you were to ask any football journalist who they enjoyed interviewing and most of them would say Barton as he was always so honest, likeable and no topics were off limits unlike the automatons that are all media trained and watched by their club's press officers.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 02:25:46 PM »
When he was jailed I remember a couple of 5 Live reporters speaking in glowing terms about him, they said if you were to ask any football journalist who they enjoyed interviewing and most of them would say Barton as he was always so honest, likeable and no topics were off limits unlike the automatons that are all media trained and watched by their club's press officers.

Barton did a fan Q&A session whilst he was at Newcastle and it was almost painfully honest. A mate forwarded me the summary and he came across as very funny and opinionated. I find it hard to reconcile his on the nail pundit persona with the twattish on the pitch behaviour as I like the former and dislike the latter. He is a breath of fresh air though.

And his assessment of us sounds pretty accurate.

Offline postal

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 02:28:48 PM »
I don't dislike Barton these days, he seems to have grown up a bit and certainly understands the game better than most pundits.

As most know, he was a nasty piece of work on the pitch. But off it, he speaks a lot of sense, isnt partisan, unlike a lot of the "pundits"

I hope he finds the niche he wants to be in. As for if he had been signed for us - hindsight is great, and you dont know what the side would be like with him, but his experience would have been great, and his temper has mellowed.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 03:24:42 PM »

As most know, he was a nasty piece of work on the pitch. But off it, he speaks a lot of sense, isnt partisan, unlike a lot of the "pundits"

I hope he finds the niche he wants to be in. As for if he had been signed for us - hindsight is great, and you dont know what the side would be like with him, but his experience would have been great, and his temper has mellowed.

My thinking of Joey Barton changed when I found out that he was a fan of The Smith's.
Despite some of his poor choices in the past he does seem to be different to the stereotypical footballer and I found myself listening to what he had to say.
The article about us is spot on and I like the fact he is not afraid to say things as they are.

Offline supertom

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 05:18:05 PM »
I wouldn't have had him here in a million years. He didn't exactly help QPR to stay up either, and they had better players than we currently do. That said, he's completely spot on.

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 06:00:57 PM »

I was talking about John Terry.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal