collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:06:52 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[April 24, 2024, 10:20:26 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Don't Renew Until Lerner's Through (Conning You)  (Read 11668 times)

Online dalians umbrella

Don't Renew Until Lerner's Through (Conning You)
« on: March 04, 2016, 04:15:11 PM »
As a season ticket holder, I feel I have been repeatedly conned into renewing over the last few years due to "breadcrumbs" being dropped by the Club in the close-season.

This has ranged from new managers being appointed (e.g. Lambert), new managers being recently appointed (Sherwood), Randy Lerner saying he is going to sell the Club, buying "young up-and-coming" English players, buying "experienced" English players, buying "top young European players", and "poaching" the "great" Tom Fox from Arsenal, all to no avail.

We now have the latest con -  That Steve Hollis is going to make everything better by sacking Tom Fox and Co.

This is the same Steve Hollis who was appointed based on the judgements of Randy Lerner, (who previously thought it was a good idea to appoint Paul Faulkner, Tom Fox, Paddy Reilly etc.) The same Steve Hollis who presumably had a big say in us not spending any money in January. Had we actually bought some decent players in January, or, in fact, any players, then we might have gotten the 2 more wins (and 6 points) which would now see us in touching distance of climbing out of the relegation zone. So please forgive me for not believing that Steve Hollis is going to sort anything out.

At the last home game, the majority of fans were singing "we want Randy Lerner out" but what is going to make him get out? The noises coming out of Villa Park are that he is no longer actively trying to sell the club. He seems content to "break even" from year to year, which he does by no net spending on players, and by cutting back wherever possible. Going into the Championship will mean that he cuts back even more.

None of the protests so far will have bothered Randy Lerner one bit. He is in America and probably doesn't even know about the chanting or the walkouts. Even if he did, what does he care?

The only way to get Randy Lerner out is to make owning the Villa no longer financially viable for him, and the only way to do that is for none of us to renew our season tickets, buy tickets or spend money at the Club.

I realise that this goes against the grain of supporting the Club, but I would liken the situation to having a friend with an addiction such as gambling. If you keep helping your friend by bailing him out, lending him money, and covering up the cracks for him, he will never hit bottom, and will never take any action to change the situation.

Until we make things much financially worse for Randy Lerner, by unfortunately making things much financially worse for Aston Villa, he will never sell up and nothing will ever change.

I always thought that if we got relegated, I would still renew my season ticket. But I feel that to do so now is to send the message to Randy Lerner that I've fallen for the con once again, that it's OK to treat me, my fellow supporters and the Club with such disrespect, and I'm willing to sit back and accept it.

As the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you", but fool me for five (going on six) seasons running, shame on me. And shame on you, Randy Lerner. A football Club is not just a business, it is something tied up with people's history, identity and lives. When you buy one, you have a duty of care to its supporters (or customers as you might know them).

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:18:02 PM by dalians umbrella »

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
Re: Don't Renew Until Lerner's Through (Conning You)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 05:09:12 PM »
I agree with the sentiment but he is trying to sell the club so not quite sure what this would change. Personally  I will wait to renew and see what transpires. This could be the year I don't as I am sure there will be plenty of tickets available to pick and choose as I please.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 05:34:08 PM »
I used to have Nicola Keys phoning me up on the renewal date up until 2 years ago then i didnt buy for the fist time in 25 years. My son wont even listen to the match on the radio and the only thing i miss are the man who sat in front of me with his 2 young sons and the hot dog and banter from Terry Payne.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 05:34:09 PM »
I am not renewing it as I need money for holiday. But I will keep an eye on Villa, and if we do very well and performing well I will take up half season ticket offer in December, but they have to be really good for me to consider it.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 05:39:16 PM »
I cannot kick this vice.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 05:45:14 PM »
I cannot kick this vice.

Me neither but you can attend without a Season Ticket!
Last season I went the Viagogo route and saved about £100 on the ST price and had no problem getting tickets for Wembley so will probably go the same route next season - is it Seatswerve or something at the moment?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »
I like my seat though.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 05:51:34 PM »
I generally don't like being told what to do...

Online Villafirst

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 05:58:34 PM »
Unlikely I'll renew after 16 consecutive years and spells prior to that as a season ticket holder. I'll look at it again when Lerner goes.

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 06:14:56 PM »
As a season ticket holder, I feel I have been repeatedly conned into renewing over the last few years due to "breadcrumbs" being dropped by the Club in the close-season.

This has ranged from new managers being appointed (e.g. Lambert), new managers being recently appointed (Sherwood), Randy Lerner saying he is going to sell the Club, buying "young up-and-coming" English players, buying "experienced" English players, buying "top young European players", and "poaching" the "great" Tom Fox from Arsenal, all to no avail.

We now have the latest con -  That Steve Hollis is going to make everything better by sacking Tom Fox and Co.

This is the same Steve Hollis who was appointed based on the judgements of Randy Lerner, (who previously thought it was a good idea to appoint Paul Faulkner, Tom Fox, Paddy Reilly etc.) The same Steve Hollis who presumably had a big say in us not spending any money in January. Had we actually bought some decent players in January, or, in fact, any players, then we might have gotten the 2 more wins (and 6 points) which would now see us in touching distance of climbing out of the relegation zone. So please forgive me for not believing that Steve Hollis is going to sort anything out.

At the last home game, the majority of fans were singing "we want Randy Lerner out" but what is going to make him get out? The noises coming out of Villa Park are that he is no longer actively trying to sell the club. He seems content to "break even" from year to year, which he does by no net spending on players, and by cutting back wherever possible. Going into the Championship will mean that he cuts back even more.

None of the protests so far will have bothered Randy Lerner one bit. He is in America and probably doesn't even know about the chanting or the walkouts. Even if he did, what does he care?

The only way to get Randy Lerner out is to make owning the Villa no longer financially viable for him, and the only way to do that is for none of us to renew our season tickets, buy tickets or spend money at the Club.

I realise that this goes against the grain of supporting the Club, but I would liken the situation to having a friend with an addiction such as gambling. If you keep helping your friend by bailing him out, lending him money, and covering up the cracks for him, he will never hit bottom, and will never take any action to change the situation.

Until we make things much financially worse for Randy Lerner, by unfortunately making things much financially worse for Aston Villa, he will never sell up and nothing will ever change.

I always thought that if we got relegated, I would still renew my season ticket. But I feel that to do so now is to send the message to Randy Lerner that I've fallen for the con once again, that it's OK to treat me, my fellow supporters and the Club with such disrespect, and I'm willing to sit back and accept it.

As the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you", but fool me for five (going on six) seasons running, shame on me. And shame on you, Randy Lerner. A football Club is not just a business, it is something tied up with people's history, identity and lives. When you buy one, you have a duty of care to its supporters (or customers as you might know them).

I just really appreciate your passion and your desire not to just 'sit' and take it. However it happens I just hope we can get our beloved club back where it belongs as soon as possible.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 06:16:08 PM »
I will renew regardless.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 06:26:57 PM »
Dad and I probably won't renew but that's down to outside factors as well. Every home game costs me about 500 quid when you chuck in flights from Germany, hotel, hire car, beers, etc. Dad will be 80 this year and travels from France, so a similar story.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »
Just go to away games. More fun, usually a better atmosphere amongst Villa fans and Lerner won't see a penny of of your hard earned. It's pretty much what I do these days.

Offline ez

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
I haven't been for a few years now but i'm considering going to some games next season in the championship.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 07:24:24 PM »
Dad and I probably won't renew but that's down to outside factors as well. Every home game costs me about 500 quid when you chuck in flights from Germany, hotel, hire car, beers, etc. Dad will be 80 this year and travels from France, so a similar story.

Bloody hell. Costly business. Fair play to you and your dad

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal