collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who'd take Pulis now?  (Read 22491 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Who'd take Pulis now?
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2017, 12:11:16 PM »
I'm not sure you can compare the two anyway. Pulis is way out there on his own when it comes to mind numblingly dull football.

you can compare the two,
Tuesday night was every inch a Pulis type performance

Two peas in a pod for me, along with Alardyce, Moyes, McLaren etc

Would add MON to that aswell. He just was better at signing players who could make his style of football look a bit more attractive but look how atrocious Republic or Ireland are to watch now he can't sign players.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »
I'm not sure you can compare the two anyway. Pulis is way out there on his own when it comes to mind numblingly dull football.

you can compare the two,

Would add MON to that aswell. He just was better at signing players who could make his style of football look a bit more attractive but look how atrocious Republic or Ireland are to watch now he can't sign players.

yeah that's the key really. MON added the likes of Milner and Young. Same could be said for George Graham at Arsenal. I can't see Bruce or Pulis having a clue how to proceed once they get in the premier except more of the same

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2017, 12:19:04 PM »

you can compare the two,

Yeah but I bet the Rep fans weren't complaining about his style of football when they got to the Euros last year.  Think he's done a decent job there overall, but probably it is time for him to move on. 

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »

you can compare the two,

By the same contrast, we've played some decent football. We should have had 4 or 5 against QPR. Pulis has spent all season playing three holding midfielders.

Pulis has finished in the top half of the prem and is up against very a different class of opposition than we are playing
he plays shit football to try and stay in that league we play shit football to try and get out of ours

There really isn’t a lot of difference between the two, we have no reason to laugh at a Pulis for his crappy rubbish football when we have our own man doing exactly the same

Yep Hull in 14/15 at VP were one of the worst visiting teams at VP I'd seen in 20 years.

Fair enough we're playing better now but imagine SB setting us up to play Man. City or Chelsea in the premier league. We'd have 10 camped in our own penalty area all game.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »

you can compare the two,

Yeah but I bet the Rep fans weren't complaining about his style of football when they got to the Euros last year.  Think he's done a decent job there overall, but probably it is time for him to move on. 

Of course not but it was still a limited style and he played the same way when he was spending 100m with us. Of course with Young Carew and Laursen we could score plenty but the game plan was still hitting it early for Gabby to chase and win free kick and corners which we were very good at scoring in those times.

We had the Pulis style problem though, all the effort we put in (and conceding possession) always seemed to catch up with us from March onwards and we stopped winning.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »

you can compare the two,

Of course not but it was still a limited style and he played the same way when he was spending 100m with us. Of course with Young Carew and Laursen we could score plenty but the game plan was still hitting it early for Gabby to chase and win free kick and corners which we were very good at scoring in those times.

We had the Pulis style problem though, all the effort we put in (and conceding possession) always seemed to catch up with us from March onwards and we stopped winning.

I never thought MON's style of play was that boring actually.  Players like Young, Carew, Gabby, Milner at their best were exciting to watch.  Sometimes fans seem to think you either play attractive passing football or you play boring long ball football and there's no in-between.  Under MON we didn't play the most exciting football, but it was still decent football, and most of the time he got results.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »
He had a good budget to get those in. No budget at ROI and he plays Pulis ball.

Edit: We played better football under Brian Little, Big Ron of course and arguably Gregory for 18 months. Even O'Leary in 03/04 I thought that was a really good time to watch when it all clicked that season.

Don't get me wrong we play some exciting stuff at times but then you saw us v Spurs and the difference in style was obvious and Spurs beat us to 4th that season.

Sunderland were also playing terribly when he was sacked there. He had a bit to spend but not as much as here.

I just think he's of the same ilk, centre backs at full back, infact anyone who isn't a full back playing at full back etc. Remember the 20 page debates we used to have about Gardner, Cuellar and NRC all playing at RB.

Fun times.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:33:46 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
Villa's football today was nothing like Pulis ball.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »
Villa's football today was nothing like Pulis ball.

No it wasnt and it never has been.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #174 on: November 26, 2017, 12:17:37 PM »
looks like the oleaginous Pardew for the Boggies.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal