collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 11:05:09 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:05:07 AM]

Liverpool by sid1964
[Today at 11:03:57 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by sid1964
[Today at 10:59:14 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by darren woolley
[Today at 10:50:14 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:33:06 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeS
[Today at 10:18:37 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by JD
[Today at 09:58:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2016: Transfer rumours and suggestions  (Read 860668 times)

Offline The_ads

Re: Summer 2016: Transfer rumours and suggestions
« Reply #4380 on: August 02, 2016, 06:15:12 PM »
If there is one thing I'll never understand with some Villa fans it's the fact they go on about transfer fees it's like it's their money. If it's £12m, £15m whatever, pay the dough and get RM in. He is a proven championship centre forward and if that's the cost then it's a drop in the ocean if he scores the goals that achieve promotion. Why is it some people bang on and on about the fee like it's coming from their account? They moan when we don't spent money and moan when we show a bit of intent

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4381 on: August 02, 2016, 06:17:40 PM »
If there is one thing I'll never understand with some Villa fans it's the fact they go on about transfer fees it's like it's their money. If it's £12m, £15m whatever, pay the dough and get RM in. He is a proven championship centre forward and if that's the cost then it's a drop in the ocean if he scores the goals that achieve promotion. Why is it some people bang on and on about the fee like it's coming from their account? They moan when we don't spent money and moan when we show a bit of intent

It's weird you'd think like that when it comes to money, do you not remember the last six years? That stemmed from spending too much money on the wrong people. McCormack may turn out great, and I hope he does, but I think concern about spending money on the right people is quite natural.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #4382 on: August 02, 2016, 06:18:06 PM »
Yes, you have to pay the money for the right quality, end of.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #4383 on: August 02, 2016, 06:20:43 PM »
Yes, you have to pay the money for the right quality, end of.

Well that's not necessarily true is it? Kante didn't cost Leicester fortunes, neither did Mahrez or Vardy. So what you actually need to do is identify quality and pay appropriately.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #4384 on: August 02, 2016, 06:20:55 PM »
I couldn't give a toss about the last 6 years mate. We should be looking forwards, not backwards.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #4385 on: August 02, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »
Two fine rebuttals above, which should just be so obvious to villa fans in particular:

1. Money guarantees quality and vice versa (check our league position versus net spend and wages over the last 5 years; or Everton / Spurs v us in the Oneill years)

2. We shouldn't care what we spend. How any villa fan can say that is absolutely beyond me!!!

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #4386 on: August 02, 2016, 06:27:43 PM »
I couldn't give a toss about the last 6 years mate. We should be looking forwards, not backwards.

You can't do the former without learning from the latter.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4387 on: August 02, 2016, 06:30:55 PM »

"If" he scores the goals that achieve promotion is the key bit.

I could counter what you say with why do people bang on and on about spending massive amounts of money for a second division club and not caring if it's a good investment are often the same ones moaning how shit we were run under the previous owner which all stemmed from spending money without caring if it was being spent wisely.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #4388 on: August 02, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
That's a good point but £12m is absolutely nothing in this post TV bonanza market. It is pure chicken feed and should he score 20 goals and manage to sort out the other end we'll be there or there abouts. We actually havent spent a penny yet

Offline The_ads

« Reply #4389 on: August 02, 2016, 06:34:41 PM »

I could counter what you say with why do people bang on and on about spending massive amounts of money for a second division club and not caring if it's a good investment are often the same ones moaning how shit we were run under the previous owner which all stemmed from spending money without caring if it was being spent wisely.

Do you not feel it's a good investment?

Offline Villain1874

« Reply #4390 on: August 02, 2016, 06:35:24 PM »

You should give a toss about the last six years mate...
Besides if the club make the same mistakes again and we don't get promoted there is no more PL money other than the parachute money, then we will not be making any big signings for a very long time...
We need to make sure we get value from the players we sign..

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #4391 on: August 02, 2016, 06:35:59 PM »
Apart from we're not part of that new TV contract. So £12m really is something to us.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #4392 on: August 02, 2016, 06:37:27 PM »
Apart from we're not part of that new TV contract. So £12m really is something to us.

Fair do's mate

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #4393 on: August 02, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »

Do you not feel it's a good investment?

I've said a number of times over the last few pages that I think it's a very risky one and it's one I don't think is worth the risk.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #4394 on: August 02, 2016, 06:38:27 PM »
That's a good point but £12m is absolutely nothing in this post TV bonanza market. It is pure chicken feed and should he score 20 goals and manage to sort out the other end we'll be there or there abouts. We actually havent spent a penny yet

This. Bang on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal