collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Shaw article in today's Daily Mail  (Read 3514 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Gary Shaw article in today's Daily Mail
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 12:16:40 PM »
Great stories. Has he done a book? Surely if Withe has, this fella should.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 01:53:37 PM »
Great guy, used to see him a lot at Penns Hall Hotel around the Gym area although his knees were still giving him issues then. Morley aswell.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 01:59:06 PM »
I was at Bristol City when he was about to get hooked but managed to stay on and get a hat-trick.  About eighteen I think he was.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 10:13:23 PM »
I hate the Mail as much as the next person, but as he was my first hero, I had to read it. Intetesting article, especially his views on the 82 World Cup. Were any of the team in the squad ?
Peter Withe was in the squad but didn't play. Allan Evans likewise for Scotland.

I know Morley missed out because of Graham bloody Rix.

Don't get me started on that one. Arsenal and England coach Don Howe persuaded Ron Greenwood that the Arsenal left side combination of Sansom and Rix that played together at the Arse would be more effective than playing Tony Morley. How many league title and European cup medals do Rix and Sansom have?

Gary Shaw was mates with my next door neighbour and was at my neighbours 21st birthday party in some function room somewhere in Solihull. It was the January in the middle of our title winning season (I think it was the day we won away to Coventry) and someone kindly asked Gary Shaw to speak with the ten year old Villa fan that was me. Gary Shaw asked me to look after his jacket while he danced and then when he came to get it back off me (I had guarded it like my life depended on it) he shook my hand, thanked me for looking after his jacket and called me his friend for life. I was on cloud nine. To this day I have no idea if my mates at school believed me or not.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 11:28:30 PM »
A case of what might have been, a potential great struck down by injury.  Still he achieved a fair bit in his relatively short peak.  I always thought Maradona had missed both legs of the Super cup with hepatitis.  Did he play in the Nou Camp game?

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 11:20:10 AM »
The generation of Villa fans who never saw him play missed a treat, technically superb, excellent first touch and could hit a defence splitter in the blink of an eye. Watch the way
He leaves a German international flat on his arse to set up Morley’s run in Rotterdam or the way he turns and sets up Morley’s goal of the season at Goodison, add to that one of the coolest finishes you’ll see to level the tie against Barcelona in the Super cup - the kid was class.
I saw him on Harborne high st a few weeks back and his knee is visibly damaged even at a distance.
I love ya Gary - you were the bollox mate.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:24:29 AM by martin o`who?? »

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 12:22:55 PM »
That's a good article.
Indeed. Thanks for the paste. Some happier memories there. One there for any relatives of nippers in tears yesterday, you could end up being the next GS.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal