collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: After 15th May 2016  (Read 7128 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: After 15th May 2016
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
This is the problem with our attacking play. It's pointless having somebody as cultured as Grealish if the players in front of them are as immobile and lacking in intelligence as Gabby and Gestede.

Everybody knows we need a new centre forward, perhaps two. Somebody capable of either making runs to get on the end of the through balls or making space for strike partners/midfield runners. Those two are never going  to do that, so we probe and the temp drains as the opposition get into shape and compress the space between midfield and defence.

Without Amavi's pace and quality of delivery, we'really essentially down to Ayew doing some magic or waiting on the opposition to make a mistake. We're the equivalent of seam bowling on a flat, lifeless pitch in blazing hot sun.

We need the forward(s) to bag 20 a season and also a winger who has the quality of delivery from set pieces as well to add additional chances into the mix. That's going to benefit Gestede next year too on the occasions when he plays.

We're so limp and predictable at the moment. But two players could make a huge difference. With Ayew having 4 years left, there's a reasonable chance he may stay. Traore hasn't had the opportunity yet,  but I'm hopeful of keeping him and Amavi, with Grealish working things at a less punishing level, then there should be enough fire power to get us promoted?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 10:55:03 PM »
Interesting to look at our players out on loan....Gardner is getting a lot of praise as a DM for Forest, their fans are falling over themselves on their message board to say how great he is so personally I'd get shot of Westwood and give him a go as DM for us next season as he's clearly comfortable at that level.

Baker has got good reviews at Bristol City. Can't say I want him starting every week for us but I'd ditch Clark and have him as back up.

Robinson has 2 in 2 for PNE so again try to ditch Gabby for good and let him take over in the squad....

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 11:07:54 PM »
We need strengthening in front of the defence and behind it. I'm not sure if the ncreased frenetic pace would suit Sanchez and Westwood is an abomination, so I'd be willing to give Gardner a shot there. A new keeper is a must.

Four or five players in key potions would make a huge difference. As would have one or two in January mind...

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 11:10:31 PM »
I have had the son of French friends staying for 2 months and he reckons Amavi will be off at the end of the season. His take is that he won't want to play in the 2nd division. Hope he is wrong on this one.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 11:46:57 PM »
I have had the son of French friends staying for 2 months and he reckons Amavi will be off at the end of the season. His take is that he won't want to play in the 2nd division. Hope he is wrong on this one.

Can't see many clubs bidding decent money for someone who's been off for 8 months, they'll want to see him play games again so reckon he'll stay until January.

The four I want out of the club are Guzan, Gabby, Westwood and Clark. Those four to me as our longest serving players sum up the losing culture of the club'3

Offline frank black

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 11:47:02 PM »
Garde, followed by any of our players out the door wouldn't make my pulse alter one jot.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 12:03:13 AM »
He's a kid with a lot of potential. The 2nd division would be a good proving ground for him.
They'll kick the crap out the poor lad.

Unless we are being relegated to the ISIS Conference where he'll have to run for his life whenever we gets the ball then he'll be fine. The Championship being this place where cloggers rule is such a myth. There are plenty of skill players down there making a living.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 12:28:30 AM »
There's an argument for keeping the likes of Gabby and Westwood for the step down, on the basis that players with their level of top flight experience should be too much for that league.

But a clean break is probably best. For them and us.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 12:44:04 AM »
He's a kid with a lot of potential. The 2nd division would be a good proving ground for him.
They'll kick the crap out the poor lad.

He seemed to cope at an even lower level with Notts County okay.
Do you not think we are probably on a level with Notts County

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 12:53:44 AM »
He's just turned 20, started about a dozen league games, and some folks want rid or think he's in the last chance saloon?

Rightly or wrongly he doesn't give the impression of a dedicated young player. In our current mess, the last thing we need is a kid who thinks he's made it already

Are you insane. At times he's looked the only one that actually understands the object of the game. He's 20.. 20. Glides past defenders, is through and through, and can actually kick a football.

He did well with Notts County and I think he will thrive in the championship. Unfortunately, all the England squad nonsense tired me out, but I still see him becoming a better player.

Our squad is a joke, flat out. However, we've got to give him at least as much time as we gave the last crop of youngsters ie. marc, andi, baker, bannan..

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 01:37:45 AM »
Will Hollis remove the deadwood from the top down, on the non playing side?
Will the board help the manager to get rid of the deadwood from the top down on the playing side, regardless of relegation clauses?

If he starts with himself then hopefully. Hollis so far has not put a foot right. His, Lerner & Fox's scandalous decision in January to refuse the manager funds for transfers is unforgivable.

As for the rest, Garde will be gone and obviously any quality we have in the squad will already have put in the transfer request leaving the overpaid wasters who are going nowhere.

I cannot think of a single positive thing to look forward to over the summer, unless it is the gallows humour of seeing who this failed owner and board appoint next as manager, they may simply give up there as well and wheel out Kmac as the cheapest option.

The only good thing about Aston Villa right now is the fans and I genuinely have no idea how the club is going to turn around its fortunes.

I dont enjoy being down on the club I love but they are giving me zero reasons to be optimistic right now.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:39:24 AM by ciggiesnbeer »

Offline VancouverLion

• GM : 24.01.2016
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 06:23:43 AM »
Sinclair, Gestede, Ayew

They'll score when they want in the championship imo.

Online shipscat

• I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 11:05:34 AM »
The point is who can we move on and who will want to go.

Now,If you are someone like Ayew,Gana,Okore etc you will be sat on £25-30,000 a week(poor lambs) but with the impending knowledge that the clause will lower it to circa 16/19k.They'll all have agents active as they know they can comfortably double their income,and the club will either play hardball leading to disinterested players,or we will cash in,effectively cutting the tiny little roots of recovery in place.

The rumoured wage clauses,will not only semi safeguard our ability to manoeuvre with the squad,it will also motivate some of the big and middle earners to go.Take Gabby,big bucks, but he will feel the chill wage wise,especially if it looks as if we might not do a 87.Suddenly that move to Derby/Burnley/Stoke on a effective free  looks interesting on 40k.Ditto Sinclair,Lescott,Richards.They won't want to see an income drop of 30/40%,their ego's and agents will hawk them everywhere.

Also,there will be one or two,on lower wages, who will be attractive to the lower half,if they are cheap.I can see us moving on Hutton(12 months left),Clark,Westwood,Kozak(12 months again),Gil for about 8/9 million combined..Can't see Traore or Amavi getting their moves yet,due to their injury woes.

Personally,I would like to see us try and keep the nucleus as we've effectively spent a horrible year giving them English experience.Gana and Okare could handle the championship style,they'd be my lines in the sand.I could handle us cashing in on Ayew,if it gives the manager manoeuvrability.

We desperately require a number 9,with pace and the ability to lead the line on his own.Also,a link forward capable of playing wide if required,or just behind.Gk,and energy(with height) in midfield will mean we be competitive.

I expect us to start slowly,licking our fragile wounds into the Autumn.However,we played football the second half against the dogshite,totally bossed it and they are 7th...and poor.There is ability in the squad,hopefully with a new mindset..Confidence and momentum are everything in the championship.I think the likes of Grealish,Andre Green could be flying with as we head into the Spring.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 11:25:12 AM »
I don't think PL clubs will be flocking to buy the likes of Gana and Okore and certainly not paying them £25-30k per week. And do you honestly think a Derby or Burnley would offer Gabby £40k per week?  I think that unless they are adamant they want to play in the PL either on similar or lower wages than their restructured after relegation contract with Villa, then there will not be an awful lot of movement of players going out.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 11:36:37 AM »
But his unfortunate injury probably means he won't be going anywhere just yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal