collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: we lost again......but the youngsters won  (Read 14624 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: we lost again......but the youngsters won
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 09:13:23 PM »
No one will notice because a) people leave anyway 15 mins before the end b) people leave anyway as we tend to be out of the game by then and c) we have lots of empty seats these days anyway.

It's why I think it's not the greatest idea to do it at the Everton game. At best I reckon it will be 31/32K so unless half those there leave, which they won't, it will look almost certainly look crap. And if there's a crap response, or it looks crap, it will put others off doing it at the next game. Personally i'd have waited until the Spurs game when there should be a fair few more there.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 09:15:57 PM »
Yes I'm not against it in principal but needs to be executed correctly and preferably before we are out of the game already.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 09:32:45 PM »
It's amazing how this story about the under 21's beating the first team is doing the rounds on social media.  Under any other circumstances it wouldn't even register anywhere but the club is now being symptomatic ally picked apart by media outlets with no hint of a strategy to defend it.

It would be so easy to turn it round as well. "We are pleasantly surprised to see that the media are so interested in our training sessions, which clearly shows the level of support for the club even in such poor times." 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:57:09 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 09:44:10 PM »
I wonder what the purpose of the game was. It can't have been to refine tactics with the teams mixed and so few first choice players playing, unless it was to work on specific things with specific individuals or groups.

Maybe Garde was running the rule over potential first team candidates from the u21s.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 09:48:26 PM »
With us not playing for 2 weeks probably mainly fitness and to look at a few of the kids as well. These kinds of games go on at all clubs.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 09:54:18 PM »
On a more serious note, seeing how rubbish we have been this season I do have to wonder why we haven't seen any of the youngsters feature in the first team.   

I would guess to ensure that don't ruin any more fledgling careers.

I'm not suggesting that they'd have ever been world beaters, but I do wonder how the careers of Clark, Baker, Bennett, Weimann and maybe Helenius would have panned out if we'd had the luxury of breaking them into a team that wasn't regularly on the receiving end of heavy defeats and always fighting for survival. Or in the case of Helenius actually been able to give him some games.

Offline TB

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 09:58:59 PM »
I wonder what the purpose of the game was. It can't have been to refine tactics with the teams mixed and so few first choice players playing, unless it was to work on specific things with specific individuals or groups.

Maybe Garde was running the rule over potential first team candidates from the u21s.

Or maybe he was giving some first squad members a chance to prove that's where they actually belong?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 10:12:55 PM »
No one will notice because a) people leave anyway 15 mins before the end b) people leave anyway as we tend to be out of the game by then and c) we have lots of empty seats these days anyway.

It's why I think it's not the greatest idea to do it at the Everton game. At best I reckon it will be 31/32K so unless half those there leave, which they won't, it will look almost certainly look crap. And if there's a crap response, or it looks crap, it will put others off doing it at the next game. Personally i'd have waited until the Spurs game when there should be a fair few more there.

Why is Spurs likely to be fuller, cos of more away fans?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 10:15:53 PM »

Why is Spurs likely to be fuller, cos of more away fans?

It's a Saturday, they are, God forbid, a title-chasing attraction and over the years we tend to have bigger than usual gates against them, for some reason.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 10:18:46 PM »
Saturday 3pm vs Tuesday 7.45pm for starters. And as Dave says, for some reason Spurs nearly always attract a bigger gate at VP.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 10:29:49 PM »
Proper supporters.
Attractive playing style.
Nice kit.
What is not too like.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2016, 10:40:36 PM »
Jason Cundy summed up perfectly with fact that someone's being mischievous by making this news. It's non storty and that when e played as Chelsea youngest they would regularly beat or draw with first team. He made great point that teams are looking at shape , trying out new things and its NOTHING TO DO WOITH THE RESULT. Its in the league that matters. But I can see those media thinking it's a funny story to give out when it's nonsense.And this is said by an ex pro who played rather than media outlets .

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2016, 10:44:24 PM »
Proper supporters.
Attractive playing style.
Nice kit.
What is not too like.

Everything.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024