collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Wages analysis  (Read 12642 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Championship Wages analysis
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 01:16:11 PM »
I think if those valuations were accurate we wouldn't be sitting bottom of the table. If someone offered us £6.5m for Sinclair I wouldn't just bite their arm off I'd devour the entire torso.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
Siegrist - £300,000      £5,500   Out of contract end of season

A player who has never put on a 1st team shirt (in fact cannot remember his ever being a sub, even in cup games) is reputed to be on £5.5K per week

Fuck me that's a decent living for a none playing player

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 01:45:09 PM »
Guzan - 7.5m - when a keeper we signed on a free has kept him out the side for half the season. Wow.

Westwood - 7.25m - hasn't pulled up any trees, would get interest from Championship clubs at best for no more than 1-2m.

Baker and Clark for a combined 10mill?!

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 01:50:56 PM »
Already said i'd go for eddie howe, but we need someone who can get something out of the current squad and the dead cat bounce of Garde's start doesn't fill me with confidence. Anyone who thinks there's going to be a big influx of new players this summer is living in cloud cuckoo land so we're stuck with the current lot. Best we can hope for is perhaps a few cheap replacements for any that leave,

You might as well ask for Mourinho as Eddie Howe. Stay up or go down, he's nailed his colours to the mast on that one, and I don't envisage their board canning him if they just fail to stay up.

Bollocks to a big influx of new players, I'd settle for ridding the club of some the poison, which ironically enough will, for the most part, be those first out of the door of their own volition.

A goalkeeper, a right back, a centre forward who can move quicker than a tortoise and 2 new centre backs, assuming Lescott goes to the MLS and Okore finds a new deal elsewhere.  Anything else is replacing squad filler we move on because there's a mutual understanding that time's up.

Just can't see that unfortunately. Who's gonna take say Gabby? The average for a 1st team player is 32k a week according to that article so you need a club who a)wants him and b)will pay him enough to piss off. We all remember the deadwood MON bought that saw out their contracts so unless it suits them, no-one is gonna be in a hurry to quit Villa.  Bottom line is this board are not going to ok  spending on players if the players they're replacing are still here - we can't afford to have a bomb squad anymore - any new arrivals will be totally dependant on who leaves

If you take the case of Gabby:

Signed a new contract within  the last 18 months for reputedly less than the previously reported £65k/week.
Assume that the reduction was modest to say £60K/week.
Given that it's a recent contract, there should be a relegation clause in it. No one knows for sure how much, but given that our revenue is going to drop by around 60%, a 40% drop wouldn't be unreasonable, leaving Gabby on 60% of his £60K/week or £36K/week.

Suddenly you're not that far from "average" which means that some players are earning more, but you could certainly look at paying the difference down to say £30K/week without it being too painful.

Maybe Lambert would want him if he's still in charge at the chicken run come August. #preyforthis.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 01:53:06 PM »
The same point as above for Gabby applies to all the "hard to shift" players mentioned in eddie's list.  Suddenly they look a lot more affordable to Championship (or even League 1) clubs.  The question then becomes who wants them?

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 02:12:17 PM »
ViD - That £32k average is for the Premiership. The Championship is just over £6k. I can't see that there's even a slight chance of anybody wanting to offer Gabby a deal that would even remotely match his terms at Villa, reduced by relegation or not.

Edit - In fact, I strongly believe that a large part of the rational for the Club not spending in January was the realisation that they're going to have to take a massive hit on the wage-bill next season.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:32:02 PM by RussellC »

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 02:23:32 PM »
Of course they are. I can't see anything other than Gabby, Westwood and Bacuna being here until 2020 because they're on big contracts for years. Who's going to pay Bacuna £20k a week for another 4 years apart from us?

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 02:57:51 PM »
ViD - That £32k average is for the Premiership. The Championship is just over £6k. I can't see that there's even a slight chance of anybody wanting to offer Gabby a deal that would even remotely match his terms at Villa, reduced by relegation or not.

Edit - In fact, I strongly believe that a large part of the rational for the Club not spending in January was the realisation that they're going to have to take a massive hit on the wage-bill next season.

Oops my mistake. :-[

Teach to comment whilst reading something else at the same time!

Offline RussellC

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 03:10:12 PM »

Oops my mistake. :-[

Teach to comment whilst reading something else at the same time!

The pitfalls of H&V! :-)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 03:22:08 PM »
From another Mail article from November 2014.

Offline RussellC

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 03:29:23 PM »
I'm guessing that the Chinese League has moved-up that list a few places since then?!

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2016, 09:58:22 AM »

Sorry Eddie, but I think your miles off with some of your valuations there.

As previously stated (on another thread), the valuations were as per pre-season on various websites.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2016, 10:00:48 AM »

As previously stated (on another thread), the valuations were as per pre-season on various websites.

Which website thought that Scott Sinclair was worth £6.5m last summer when we signed him last summer for £2.5m?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2016, 10:13:40 AM »

Which website thought that Scott Sinclair was worth £6.5m last summer when we signed him last summer for £2.5m?

www.martino'neillvaluations.co.uk

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2016, 10:22:14 AM »

Cant remember the names of most sites, but Transfermarket was one of them. His current value on there is £2.63m, but I know it was a lot higher than that pre-season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal