collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Wages analysis  (Read 12643 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Championship Wages analysis
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 11:53:04 PM »
The problem with managers who 'know the Championship' is that they've spent a lot of time down there. I think we need someone who's horrified to be there and will move mountains to make sure he never has to be there again.

Or that when they have been in the Championship, they have tended to get teams out of there pretty sharpish. 

Who are you thinking of that we could realistically get?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 11:54:36 PM »
Neil Warnock.......

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 12:01:11 AM »
The problem with managers who 'know the Championship' is that they've spent a lot of time down there. I think we need someone who's horrified to be there and will move mountains to make sure he never has to be there again.

Or that when they have been in the Championship, they have tended to get teams out of there pretty sharpish. 

Who are you thinking of that we could realistically get?

I said a few posts back that I think Chris Hughton would be a good option if Brighton don't go up.

I would add at this point that I don't want Garde to leave, as I would like to see him given a chance with his own staff and players first.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 12:08:53 AM »
I think the wages that are being paid has meant a shift over the past few years.  It used to be the case that players couldn't wait to leave a relegated club, but I think money means that isn't the case anymore.  For every few ambitious players who want to stay in the top flight, you now probably have others who knows their wages can't be matched at other clubs so are more than happy to stay at a relegated side.  Prime example, I was listening to a report on the radio yesterday from the Fulham game and heard the names Dembele and Parker pop up. 

I don't really think that 19 year old, 2-games in the Premier League when he was 17 Moussa Dembele really makes your point* for you.

*Although your point is perfectly sound.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 12:14:35 AM »
The issue as always with appointing a manager that has "Champonship level knowledge" is that they don't come on one year deals. Neil Warnock is the perfect example. He might make a good go at promotion but then when we are sat bottom of the PL 10 games in we are firing him and starting again. I'm just not in favour of hiring any manager on the basis that he might have got a team promoted because if that's the case we should never have fired two time promotion legend Paul Lambert.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 12:20:57 AM »
The issue as always with appointing a manager that has "Champonship level knowledge" is that they don't come on one year deals. Neil Warnock is the perfect example. He might make a good go at promotion but then when we are sat bottom of the PL 10 games in we are firing him and starting again. I'm just not in favour of hiring any manager on the basis that he might have got a team promoted because if that's the case we should never have fired two time promotion legend Paul Lambert.

Exactly.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 12:28:29 AM »
I think the wages that are being paid has meant a shift over the past few years.  It used to be the case that players couldn't wait to leave a relegated club, but I think money means that isn't the case anymore.  For every few ambitious players who want to stay in the top flight, you now probably have others who knows their wages can't be matched at other clubs so are more than happy to stay at a relegated side.  Prime example, I was listening to a report on the radio yesterday from the Fulham game and heard the names Dembele and Parker pop up. 

I don't really think that 19 year old, 2-games in the Premier League when he was 17 Moussa Dembele really makes your point* for you.

*Although your point is perfectly sound.

Apologies, got my Dembeles mixed up!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 12:37:26 AM »

Not sure I follow your logic there TV.  I take your point about the likes of Warnock and that if you are already in the Premier League then getting a team promoted shouldn't really be a basis on which to hire a manager.  If, however, you are relegated to the Championship and desperately need to get up at the first attempt, then surely a manager's record in that division comes into the thinking at some point?

Anyway, as I said before, I hope it's a decision we don't have to make in the summer.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 05:07:58 AM »
Stated before what we do not know is what sell on values the players have had put into their contracts, these relegation clauses are not just one sided, agents ensure their client is looked after, so dependent on that I should imagine will dictate the turnover of players.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 07:09:15 AM »
I don't buy the 'motivator' and 'dead cat bouncer' criterion for a manager for us in our current position.  Of course the ability to crank up players and to drive them when necessary is an essential part of any successful manager's skill set but we have tried flooding the engine with EasyStart for the last five seasons now it is time for some serious repair work.

There have been many failures and shortcomings at the club in Lerner's ownership but for me the single biggest failure has been the lack of forward thinking and planning not the lack of John Gregory style hoarding kicking.

Fortunately for us the ones who have been least motivated in the dressing room seem to be those most likely to want to leave.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 08:58:41 AM »
If ever an article rammed home the need for salary caps then that one is it, it would need backing from fifa and uefa and it won't happen because it would close the gap between the top sides and the rest but it's most definitely needed.

That's the NFL model.

I like to wind up my friends in the American Colonies by describing the NFL's salary cap and revenue sharing as being Communist.

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »
As previously stated in another thread (see below), unless the senior players have a clause to drop their wages, then the clubs wage bill will only go down by losing all the younger players out of contract, and not using the extension clause available on some.

GO

Guzan - Value £7.5m   Wages £30,000 per week
Siegrist - £300,000      £5,500   Out of contract end of season
Richards - £8m           £50,000
Lescott - £925,000      £45,000
Richardson - £875,000   £22,500  Out of contract end of season
NZog -  £3.4m           £48,000      Out of contract end of season
Lewis Kinsella -  £84,000    £1,500   Out of contract end of season, has contract extension clause
Janoi Donacien - £245,000   £3,000  Out of contract end of season
Callum Robinson -  £625,000     £4,000   Out of contract end of season, has contract extension clause

GET RID IF WE CAN FIND A BUYER

Gabby -  £ 7m    £55,000
Gestede - £ 7.75m  £30,000
Clark - £5.5m   £30,000
Baker - £ 4.7m   £ 25,000
Westwood - £ 7.25m   £30,000
Bacuna - £4.9m   £25,000
Sinclair - £6.5m   £35,000

There are 19 other players out of contract at the end of the season, 8 of whom have extension clauses.
Out of contract players without extension clauses (including those in the GO list),would have a combined value of approximately £5,202,000 and a wage saving of approx. £88,500 per week.
Unfortunately, the players who aren't out of contract would require a combined total of over £ 71m in compensation, just to end their contracts,if we cannot find a buyer.

Sorry everyone, but Lerner aint gonna pay out that much, so apart from the 26 players who are out of contract ,who are mostly U21's and U18's, everyone else in the above lists (Go & Get Rid)will still be here next season.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »
As previously stated in another thread (see below), unless the senior players have a clause to drop their wages, then the clubs wage bill will only go down by losing all the younger players out of contract, and not using the extension clause available on some.

GO

Guzan - Value £7.5m   Wages £30,000 per week
Siegrist - £300,000      £5,500   Out of contract end of season
Richards - £8m           £50,000
Lescott - £925,000      £45,000
Richardson - £875,000   £22,500  Out of contract end of season
NZog -  £3.4m           £48,000      Out of contract end of season
Lewis Kinsella -  £84,000    £1,500   Out of contract end of season, has contract extension clause
Janoi Donacien - £245,000   £3,000  Out of contract end of season
Callum Robinson -  £625,000     £4,000   Out of contract end of season, has contract extension clause

GET RID IF WE CAN FIND A BUYER

Gabby -  £ 7m    £55,000
Gestede - £ 7.75m  £30,000
Clark - £5.5m   £30,000
Baker - £ 4.7m   £ 25,000
Westwood - £ 7.25m   £30,000
Bacuna - £4.9m   £25,000
Sinclair - £6.5m   £35,000

There are 19 other players out of contract at the end of the season, 8 of whom have extension clauses.
Out of contract players without extension clauses (including those in the GO list),would have a combined value of approximately £5,202,000 and a wage saving of approx. £88,500 per week.
Unfortunately, the players who aren't out of contract would require a combined total of over £ 71m in compensation, just to end their contracts,if we cannot find a buyer.

Sorry everyone, but Lerner aint gonna pay out that much, so apart from the 26 players who are out of contract ,who are mostly U21's and U18's, everyone else in the above lists (Go & Get Rid)will still be here next season.

Sorry Eddie, but I think your miles off with some of your valuations there.

Offline Boz

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 11:13:37 AM »
Not really news to anyone i think. I'm not sure anyone at the club is currently on the 6k a week average reported there, even if they're subject to reductions for relegation. Lerner will have problems shifting any of them because the majority won't have any takers,and will dig their heels in and stay because, well.....they're not stupid. Makes it even more important to have a manager who can inspire the current squad.

Well, some of them probably aren't, or at least not their agents, but others.....

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 11:45:29 AM »
£7m for Gabby?   ;D

I imagine we'll take the hit just to get rid of players.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal