collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Wages analysis  (Read 12648 times)

Offline Ivo Stas

Championship Wages analysis
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »
A rather relevant article, I reckon...

There are graphs and charts on the web page so I'll just paste the link (and not cut-and-paste over the text).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3456453/Mind-gap-Premier-League-wages-soar-average-salaries-2014-15-season-1-7million-rest-creep-along.html

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Championship Wages analysis
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:24:15 PM »
If ever an article rammed home the need for salary caps then that one is it, it would need backing from fifa and uefa and it won't happen because it would close the gap between the top sides and the rest but it's most definitely needed.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »
Not really news to anyone i think. I'm not sure anyone at the club is currently on the 6k a week average reported there, even if they're subject to reductions for relegation. Lerner will have problems shifting any of them because the majority won't have any takers,and will dig their heels in and stay because, well.....they're not stupid. Makes it even more important to have a manager who can inspire the current squad.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:40:26 PM by sickbeggar »

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 08:17:43 PM »
Not really news to anyone i think. I'm not sure anyone at the club is currently on the 6k a week average reported there, even if they're subject to reductions for relegation. Lerner will have problems shifting any of them because the majority won't have any takers,and will dig their heels in and stay because, well.....they're not stupid. Makes it even more important to have a manager who can inspire the current squad.

Given that you obviously don't rate Garde, who do you have in mind?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 08:29:44 PM »
Already said i'd go for eddie howe, but we need someone who can get something out of the current squad and the dead cat bounce of Garde's start doesn't fill me with confidence. Anyone who thinks there's going to be a big influx of new players this summer is living in cloud cuckoo land so we're stuck with the current lot. Best we can hope for is perhaps a few cheap replacements for any that leave,

Offline myf

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:30:11 PM »

not sure I agree with that. Reckon there would be interest in several players from home and abroad and some wouldnt fancy life in the championship

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 08:34:14 PM »

not sure I agree with that. Reckon there would be interest in several players from home and abroad and some wouldnt fancy life in the championship

whom? maybe richards, ayew and a few others would get interest from a premiership club but the rest? Maybe palm off off the likes of Lescott to the chinese league but really if your on the average of 32k a week according to that report, you are not going to want to move somewhere where your wages get more than halved are you?

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 09:44:07 PM »
Already said i'd go for eddie howe, but we need someone who can get something out of the current squad and the dead cat bounce of Garde's start doesn't fill me with confidence. Anyone who thinks there's going to be a big influx of new players this summer is living in cloud cuckoo land so we're stuck with the current lot. Best we can hope for is perhaps a few cheap replacements for any that leave,

You might as well ask for Mourinho as Eddie Howe. Stay up or go down, he's nailed his colours to the mast on that one, and I don't envisage their board canning him if they just fail to stay up.

Bollocks to a big influx of new players, I'd settle for ridding the club of some the poison, which ironically enough will, for the most part, be those first out of the door of their own volition.

A goalkeeper, a right back, a centre forward who can move quicker than a tortoise and 2 new centre backs, assuming Lescott goes to the MLS and Okore finds a new deal elsewhere.  Anything else is replacing squad filler we move on because there's a mutual understanding that time's up.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 10:32:31 PM »
Lescott saying he wants to stay at the club even if we go down.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 10:38:26 PM »

You might as well ask for Mourinho as Eddie Howe. Stay up or go down, he's nailed his colours to the mast on that one, and I don't envisage their board canning him if they just fail to stay up.

Bollocks to a big influx of new players, I'd settle for ridding the club of some the poison, which ironically enough will, for the most part, be those first out of the door of their own volition.

A goalkeeper, a right back, a centre forward who can move quicker than a tortoise and 2 new centre backs, assuming Lescott goes to the MLS and Okore finds a new deal elsewhere.  Anything else is replacing squad filler we move on because there's a mutual understanding that time's up.

I agree, but the problem is even that little lot would probably cost the £40m if we are looking at decent players.

I've mentioned him before, but if Garde goes in the summer and Brighton don't go up, I would go for Hughton.  An ex-Blues manager, but knows the Championship and has experience of managing at clubs with expectations.  He also comes across well in the media and would be far more palatable than someone like Pearson. 

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 10:41:45 PM »

5 players is a big influx VID? Wouldn't you say? FWIW, I agree with you about not bringing in a load of players. I think a few clever signings might be a better option rather than the spray and pray approach that they gave us last summer.  It was fun at the time but has proven a disaster. As for Garde being the right man to take them back up? I am concerned that he doesn't seem to be able to motivate as well as I would want him to.  However, I think he's better than he's able to show at the moment and might be a sound Manager in the longer term. If he does go, I'd like David Moyes or Brendan Rodgers.  The clubs aren't exactly lining up for them, so they might fancy waking up a giant.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 10:47:04 PM »
The problem with managers who 'know the Championship' is that they've spent a lot of time down there. I think we need someone who's horrified to be there and will move mountains to make sure he never has to be there again.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 11:10:54 PM »

Just can't see that unfortunately. Who's gonna take say Gabby? The average for a 1st team player is 32k a week according to that article so you need a club who a)wants him and b)will pay him enough to piss off. We all remember the deadwood MON bought that saw out their contracts so unless it suits them, no-one is gonna be in a hurry to quit Villa.  Bottom line is this board are not going to ok  spending on players if the players they're replacing are still here - we can't afford to have a bomb squad anymore - any new arrivals will be totally dependant on who leaves

Online tomd2103

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 11:36:17 PM »

Just can't see that unfortunately. Who's gonna take say Gabby? The average for a 1st team player is 32k a week according to that article so you need a club who a)wants him and b)will pay him enough to piss off. We all remember the deadwood MON bought that saw out their contracts so unless it suits them, no-one is gonna be in a hurry to quit Villa.  Bottom line is this board are not going to ok  spending on players if the players they're replacing are still here - we can't afford to have a bomb squad anymore - any new arrivals will be totally dependant on who leaves

I think the wages that are being paid has meant a shift over the past few years.  It used to be the case that players couldn't wait to leave a relegated club, but I think money means that isn't the case anymore.  For every few ambitious players who want to stay in the top flight, you now probably have others who knows their wages can't be matched at other clubs so are more than happy to stay at a relegated side.  Prime example, I was listening to a report on the radio yesterday from the Fulham game and heard the names Dembele and Parker pop up. 

Online tomd2103

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 11:41:46 PM »
The problem with managers who 'know the Championship' is that they've spent a lot of time down there. I think we need someone who's horrified to be there and will move mountains to make sure he never has to be there again.

Or that when they have been in the Championship, they have tended to get teams out of there pretty sharpish. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal