collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lee Hendrie On The Magic Sponge Podcast.  (Read 15497 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Lee Hendrie On The Magic Sponge Podcast.
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2016, 08:58:50 PM »
Did Lee get sent off on his debut at QPR? Christmas 96? Anyone remember the score?

Lost 1-0, iirc Spink came off the bench and had to play up front at the end.

23/12/95. Hendrie came off the bench and got a straight red. Ray Wilkins was playing for QPR and was trying to get the ref to let him him stay on.

He didn't get a straight red. His first booking was for kicking the ball away after a foul.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2016, 09:17:39 PM »
Did Lee get sent off on his debut at QPR? Christmas 96? Anyone remember the score?

Lost 1-0, iirc Spink came off the bench and had to play up front at the end.

23/12/95. Hendrie came off the bench and got a straight red. Ray Wilkins was playing for QPR and was trying to get the ref to let him him stay on.

I was about to say the very same. I drove back from Paris overnight for this game as we were coming home for Xmas and it was mighty frustrating - Ludo Miklosko had one of those games where he stopped everything we threw at him. Wilkins did indeed act like a sportsman too.

I recall their keeper who the game of his life was Jurgen Sommer, not Miklosko.  Sommer had been terrible in the weeks beforehand, so we drove down fully expecting a massive away win.

I might be wrong, but when Spink came on up front late on, was it his last appearance in a Villa shirt?  He certainly filled it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2016, 09:25:08 PM »
Looking it up, yep it was his last appearance. Some going for a keeper, second appearance for a club is a European Cup Final and their last for the same club more than a decade later is as a striker.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2016, 10:29:49 PM »
Looking it up, yep it was his last appearance. Some going for a keeper, second appearance for a club is a European Cup Final and their last for the same club more than a decade later is as a striker.

Great quiz question.

Saw Nigel being interviewed by Woodward recently who seemed to make a point of telling him that he was looking well. Has Spink been seriously ill in recent years?

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 02:08:18 AM »
Lee Hendrie is a bit of a twat, let's be honest.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 08:30:17 AM »
I can imagine that podcast being accompanied by lots of fist bumps* and people saying 'Boom'.

*Not Stefan Postma.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 10:10:37 AM »
Lee Hendrie is a bit of a twat, let's be honest.

Have you met him?

Offline thegreatdane

• Aston Villa defender Olof Mellberg paid more than
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 12:32:39 PM »
Well worth a listen! Brilliant, some of the stories he tells about team mates

Offline Matt C

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 03:27:34 PM »
Double post

Offline Matt C

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 09:59:41 PM »
Petulant little shit with terrible attitude. Couldn't stand him, still can't. The fact he is often rolled out to the faithful as a Villa Park Legend infuriates me no end.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2016, 11:01:43 PM »
Petulant little shit with terrible attitude. Couldn't stand him, still can't. The fact he is often rolled out to the faithful as a Villa Park Legend infuriates me no end.

That's a bit OTT, he was never that bad. I thought he was a decent player. Could and should have done better in his career, but didn't he play over 300 league games for Villa? Not a bad record I must say.

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2016, 11:07:13 PM »

That's a bit OTT, he was never that bad. I thought he was a decent player. Could and should have done better in his career, but didn't he play over 300 league games for Villa? Not a bad record I must say.

Not OTT at all as far as I'm concerned. Of all the Villa players I've seen, he's up there easily on his own as the one I dislike most. He's my Steve Hodge.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 11:08:21 PM »

You must be well impressed with Ashley Westwood and his 120 or so, then.

*wink*

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »

Not OTT at all as far as I'm concerned. Of all the Villa players I've seen, he's up there easily on his own as the one I dislike most. He's my Steve Hodge.

Steve Hodge is my Steve Hodge. I don't remember Hendrie shitting in the club like the former did. He was a good player, and I couldn't give a shite what he did outside of the club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal