collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert (R)  (Read 211853 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Paul Lambert gets a new job.
« Reply #840 on: May 11, 2018, 06:19:22 PM »
In 2000 we had entered Gregory's turgid stage but Chelsea were a better team so no disgrace in a narrow defeat even if we didn't land a glove. Our performance against Bolton in the semis was arguably worse, Dean Holdsworth should have won it for them.

I've never watched any of the 2015 final back so I'd completely forgotten about our penalty shouts. Not that they'd have made much difference apart from respectability. I wonder if the tonking at Southampton and losing at home to Burnley before they were brilliant in the two weeks prior knocked the stuffing out of the players, especially after going behind. Bulldog spirit from Sherwood is the one thing we needed from him at that stage but maybe he got spooked too

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #841 on: May 11, 2018, 06:33:06 PM »
The benteke and delph deals had also kicked off before the cup final.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #842 on: May 11, 2018, 06:45:09 PM »
When Ray Graydon took that penalty against Norwich in 1975, why didn’t he go the other way so that Kevin Keelan wouldn’t have been able to cause us to have palpitations by half saving it ?

All these worries from ancient history.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #843 on: May 12, 2018, 01:35:23 PM »
Yes we stood off Arsenal but they were also fantastic that day.

For us to have won, we needed to be brilliant and they needed to have an off day - in reality, the opposite happened.

They were good but we we terrible from kick off and gave them the initative.

Full game is on youtube. Couldn't obviously stomach watching it but had a look at first five minutes. We had kick off, booted the ball upfield. Arsenal got it in our half and Okore (on one leg) under no pressure whatsoever miscontrolled and then hit it out for a throw in. From there we retrated to the edge of our own box and just stayed there.

12 months previously Hull under SB came out flying from the final whistle and were two up within ten minutes. So a bit of difference in approach from first whistle.

Edit: Worth remembering Arsenal in the semi final only beat Reading 2-1 after extra time.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #844 on: May 12, 2018, 01:40:15 PM »
In 2000 we had entered Gregory's turgid stage but Chelsea were a better team so no disgrace in a narrow defeat even if we didn't land a glove. Our performance against Bolton in the semis was arguably worse, Dean Holdsworth should have won it for them.

I've never watched any of the 2015 final back so I'd completely forgotten about our penalty shouts. Not that they'd have made much difference apart from respectability. I wonder if the tonking at Southampton and losing at home to Burnley before they were brilliant in the two weeks prior knocked the stuffing out of the players, especially after going behind. Bulldog spirit from Sherwood is the one thing we needed from him at that stage but maybe he got spooked too

2010 was our best chance of winning a major final in recent times given we actually took the lead (of course opposition should've been down to 10 aswell).

Certainly wasn't one of the strongest Fergie Man. United teams we've ever faced but as soon as Rooney came on we couldn't handle him and we could've lost by a few more in the end as they hit the woodwork a couple of times.

All this is doing is making me more nervous about a possible play off final. I seem to be one of the few on here who think we'll be o.k v Boro but a final I worry we could freeze in like our recent cup finals at Wembley.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #845 on: May 12, 2018, 02:42:40 PM »
let's get there first, then conduct a massive wetting the bed competition.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #846 on: May 17, 2018, 06:31:20 PM »
I must be pissed. someone on talkshite saying Lamberts the man for us ( stoke ), He is a brilliant manager he didnt stand a chance at Villa.

WTF     

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #847 on: May 17, 2018, 06:52:14 PM »
I must be pissed. someone on talkshite saying Lamberts the man for us ( stoke ), He is a brilliant manager he didnt stand a chance at Villa.

WTF     

All this wedding pish is clearly sending some people off their rocker.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #848 on: May 17, 2018, 07:54:14 PM »

2010 was our best chance of winning a major final in recent times given we actually took the lead (of course opposition should've been down to 10 aswell).

Certainly wasn't one of the strongest Fergie Man. United teams we've ever faced but as soon as Rooney came on we couldn't handle him and we could've lost by a few more in the end as they hit the woodwork a couple of times.

All this is doing is making me more nervous about a possible play off final. I seem to be one of the few on here who think we'll be o.k v Boro but a final I worry we could freeze in like our recent cup finals at Wembley.
Really? The FA Cup has been consistently downgraded and the League Cup has regrettably a mere bauble for a while.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #849 on: May 17, 2018, 09:41:19 PM »

WTF     

I don't know why people bang on about the hard time/no chance he had with us. He had two and a half years worth of chances. To defend him you would have to believe he also stood no chance when he only won two games whilst in charge of Livingston for eight months, stood no chance when he failed in the play offs at Wycombe, and if you believe the 'mutual decisions' for him to leave Blackburn and Wolves both he and those two clubs clearly agreed he had no chance of succeeding.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #850 on: May 18, 2018, 09:14:17 AM »
i might have been dreaming as I was certainly half asleep but I'm sure Simon Jordan made his views on Lambert clear the other night when discussing the relegated teams. Shite sort of encapsulates it.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #851 on: May 18, 2018, 01:39:10 PM »

I thought Boro would be easier based on Pullis not making the most of his options and us having enough game nous to see it through - Terry, Jedi, Chester.
The final would be harder as Derby and Fulham are footballing sides, the latter a very good one. I am not worried though - if it comes down to pure football we may lose, if it comes down to occasion and experience we have more than enough

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #852 on: May 18, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »
Been sacked

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #853 on: May 18, 2018, 03:04:19 PM »
Been sacked

I'm sure he begged for it. Finally paid off.

Offline Joe S

• GM : 09.05.2024
« Reply #854 on: May 18, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »
I'm sure he'll "go again"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal