collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert (R)  (Read 211915 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Paul Lambert gets a new job.
« Reply #615 on: February 07, 2018, 10:33:36 PM »
I'm sure it was a big relief to get sacked with compo, as opposed to doing the decent thing and stepped down.

To be honest, If I was in his situation at that time, knowing that the end was imminent, there would be absolutely no way I would step down myself and just forfeit a considerable amount of money

Would you sign a new contract though like Lambert did? This is where his poor mouth tale starts to fall apart...

He was horribly advised to take that contract to be fair to him....scrabbling around to pick up the likes of Senderos, Joe Cole and Richardson on frees

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #616 on: February 07, 2018, 10:40:29 PM »
I'm sure it was a big relief to get sacked with compo, as opposed to doing the decent thing and stepped down.

To be honest, If I was in his situation at that time, knowing that the end was imminent, there would be absolutely no way I would step down myself and just forfeit a considerable amount of money

Would you sign a new contract though like Lambert did? This is where his poor mouth tale starts to fall apart...

He was horribly advised to take that contract to be fair to him....scrabbling around to pick up the likes of Senderos, Joe Cole and Richardson on frees

Correct.

This is what you get with the mammoth rise in wages for managers over the last 20 years, fuck pride and dignity when there's that kind of money at stake.

It also buys managers silence over dodgy goings on, much to the detriment of supporters.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #617 on: February 08, 2018, 01:42:47 PM »
Having somewhat been in Lambert's position, if the company offers you a contract and both sides sign it, if they want to get rid of you then they should honour the terms within it. Both sides would have been fully aware of the terms and what each would be entitled to if one or the other party terminates the contract. Lambert was perfectly within his right to stick around and collect the money. The notion of him walking away makes no sense and pride/dignity mean nothing at all. In the end he has had 3 jobs since and amazingly somehow has found his way to manage a PL football club. So instead of walking away for nothing he got paid for being fired.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #618 on: February 08, 2018, 02:34:15 PM »
Having somewhat been in Lambert's position, if the company offers you a contract and both sides sign it, if they want to get rid of you then they should honour the terms within it. Both sides would have been fully aware of the terms and what each would be entitled to if one or the other party terminates the contract. Lambert was perfectly within his right to stick around and collect the money. The notion of him walking away makes no sense and pride/dignity mean nothing at all. In the end he has had 3 jobs since and amazingly somehow has found his way to manage a PL football club. So instead of walking away for nothing he got paid for being fired.

The problem is, if you take that view and stick around waiting for the inevitable then you look like a bit of a twat if you start telling people you'd been wanting to leave for 8months by the time it happened and acting like it was an impossible job and was killing you.  This isn't about having the dignity to walk, it's about having the sense to walk away with your money and keep your mouth shut.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #619 on: February 08, 2018, 02:41:06 PM »

The problem is, if you take that view and stick around waiting for the inevitable then you look like a bit of a twat if you start telling people you'd been wanting to leave for 8months by the time it happened and acting like it was an impossible job and was killing you.  This isn't about having the dignity to walk, it's about having the sense to walk away with your money and keep your mouth shut.

Oh I've never not considered Lambert a massive, massive twat. He absolutely is and especially for those "I asked to be fired" type comments. I'm just pointing out despite everything he was offered a new deal. That's on the imbeciles running our club at the time.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #620 on: February 08, 2018, 02:45:45 PM »
Oh I agree, and I think no one would have a problem with him taking the contract and the extra compensation that came with it, it's the whole "I asked to be fired, then signed a contract extension a few months later, even though the job was destroying me and impossible" that makes people think he's coming across so badly.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #621 on: February 08, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »
He's like a divorcee forced to accept that the one for them didn't feel the same. No matter where he pitches up he has to talk about us.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #622 on: February 08, 2018, 10:16:35 PM »
He's a knob and not worth the effort of thought. Poor bloke having to spend all that compo. Shame.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #623 on: February 09, 2018, 01:22:29 AM »
He's like a divorcee forced to accept that the one for them didn't feel the same. No matter where he pitches up he has to talk about us.

Maybe if TSM and TSM II both stopped talking about us so much they could concentrate on tying to prove us wrong to get rid of them. But I'm not holding my breath.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #624 on: February 09, 2018, 05:49:01 AM »

Maybe if TSM and TSM II both stopped talking about us so much they could concentrate on tying to prove us wrong to get rid of them. But I'm not holding my breath.

I have some sympathy for TSM 1 in that regard Damo70, as he is always asked about us.  He came in (very) difficult circumstances and was nothing more than dignified during and after in my opinion.

TSM II has an involuntary tick which makes him mention us in virtually every interview for no reason whatsoever. See also Tiny Penis when at WBA.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #625 on: February 09, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »
Lambert did have a difficult job on limited resources, but he could have done it a lot better and been more honest about his own failings.  Which included signing a load of shit, or at best mediocre, players (Benteke being the exception), recruiting poor coaching staff, not having a proper scouting system and then coming out with great steaming piles of bullshit to try and excuse dreadful performances. 

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #626 on: February 09, 2018, 03:28:29 PM »
Lambert did have a difficult job on limited resources, but he could have done it a lot better and been more honest about his own failings.  Which included signing a load of shit, or at best mediocre, players (Benteke being the exception), recruiting poor coaching staff, not having a proper scouting system and then coming out with great steaming piles of bullshit to try and excuse dreadful performances. 

Ya cannae know wit was like. Five pound to spend, bomb squad knockin' down the door, Charles N'Zogbia's onesie fetish, Brad Guzan losing a hair for every goal conceded, Mr Lerner offering me three new contracts every day,

Offline Damo70

« Reply #627 on: February 09, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »
I have to say that if Lambert or McLeish had each had the amount of time in charge that they both had combined i reckon McLeish would have won more games. Although I'm not a fan of either of them, Lambert did excellently at Norwich whilst McLeish did a good job under tough circumstances at Rangers when MON had more money to spend at Celticand did well as Scotland manager in an albeit very short period in charge. As for at Small Heath, it depends how you view winning a trophy and being relegated in the same season on the scale of 'success'.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #628 on: February 09, 2018, 07:08:55 PM »
I never wanted Mcliesh and like many others thought his appointment it was a big mistake

but for what it's worth I have a lot of respect for him now i have none for Lambert

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #629 on: February 09, 2018, 08:26:49 PM »
Get in.

Meant for the other games thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal