collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:21:16 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert (R)  (Read 211829 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Paul Lambert gets a new job.
« Reply #555 on: January 16, 2018, 09:14:32 AM »
If you exclude Black, for reasons too well known to be regurgitated,  from the list of post SGT managers, Lambert is the worst.  Every other one had a scrap of mitigation - MON's league positions, McLeish being a decent man, Sherwood's cup semi final, Garde's shabby treatment by the board, RDM probably getting the bullet too early, Bruce for scrambling Bruce-like.  But Lambert has absolutely nothing to commend him.  Dour, incoherent, charmless, unimaginative, prone at all times to re write reality but most of all becoming the poster boy for reduced expectations.

I lived through Bingo Billy, Graham Turner,  Dr Venglos, DOL and KMac but I regard Paul Lambert as the worst Villa manager in my time.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #556 on: January 16, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
Oh and if you want a chuckle go and have a look at the Oatcake message board for a healthy mixture of complete despair interspersed with some golden threads trying to look for the positives, such as him being '2011 Championship manager of the season'!!!

Oh and one Stoke fan has declared that they're Lambert's 'biggest club by miles'.... :o

I love others despairing for once. Do you have a link?

the oatcake but blimey, they seem to start a lot of threads. You might have to dig down a bit deep to find things from as far back as yesterday. The POSITIVE THREAD has gone from the front page already.

Blimey, that site made my eyes bleed!  The general vibe from Stoke fans are "at least he wanted it" or "at least he applied".  That's desperation to a new level.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #557 on: January 16, 2018, 09:20:54 AM »
If you exclude Black, for reasons too well known to be regurgitated,  from the list of post SGT managers, Lambert is the worst.  Every other one had a scrap of mitigation - MON's league positions, McLeish being a decent man, Sherwood's cup semi final, Garde's shabby treatment by the board, RDM probably getting the bullet too early, Bruce for scrambling Bruce-like.  But Lambert has absolutely nothing to commend him.  Dour, incoherent, charmless, unimaginative, prone at all times to re write reality but most of all becoming the poster boy for reduced expectations.

I lived through Bingo Billy, Graham Turner,  Dr Venglos, DOL and KMac but I regard Paul Lambert as the worst Villa manager in my time.

Spot on. Just remembering the sense of euphoria and pure relief amongst all of us Villa fans when Lambert was finally sacked (even more so than when McLeish was sacked) tells you all you need to know. 

Offline stuart445

« Reply #558 on: January 16, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »
Presumably Coates was passed a list of available managers and plumped for the only one he'd heard of. There's no other explanation.

The only other explanation is that everyone else has turned them down

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #559 on: January 16, 2018, 09:33:44 AM »
Sounds like they hamstrung themselves by insisting on "Premier League experience".

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #560 on: January 16, 2018, 12:06:03 PM »
I'm amazed they've gone for him.

Blimey, their fans are in for some fun.

We have a couple at work. They are unimpressed.

You should tell them to hold onto that ‘coz it will be replaced by frustration, disbelief and ultimately despair.

*Like*

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #561 on: January 16, 2018, 12:11:14 PM »
He was awful and is on a par with DOL as my most disliked Villa manager. Perhaps the only thing you can say for him is that he didn't actually take us down, this might be what Stoke are foucssing on.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #562 on: January 16, 2018, 12:55:27 PM »

Well said, an absolute charlatan.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #563 on: January 16, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »
Watching the goals from last night - was that Ireland on the field doing his usual old tricks - he was the closest to one of the scorers but instead of making a challenge just stood there watching.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #564 on: January 16, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »
Watching the goals from last night - was that Ireland on the field doing his usual old tricks - he was the closest to one of the scorers but instead of making a challenge just stood there watching.

Sure was.

Stephen "chocolate teapot" Ireland in all his glory.

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #565 on: January 16, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »
Brian, you sum up my feelings about Lambert perfectly.
Never his fault, never to blame for anything. The worst by far.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #566 on: January 16, 2018, 02:14:22 PM »
He was manager at a very difficult time, no question. Whoever was in charge would have found themselves hugely frustrated by what we now know was crumbling and decaying at an alarming half life behind the scenes leading to out eventual meltdown.

My biggest criticism is that he lacked principle. That might sound odd from an arch pragmatist, but his unwillingness to stick to his beliefs turned him into a coward.

The result was we lost any semblance of a plan after the first few games of his second season (a 2-1 defeat to Chelsea where we outplayed them and Terry handled it in the build up to the winner and Ivanovich ought to have walked). We played some mindnumbingly woeful stuff.

We made up the numbers and nothing else. You could stomach it a bit if we'd flown at games like we did from February 2013 on and just came up short, but we hid.

It's a myth that he had no money to spend. It's true that we couldn't compete with wages owing to the gross mismanagement that had gone on for 5 years before he came, but we spent a lot of money far too thin. The spine was weak throughout and we relied entirely on Benteke.

He was a poor manager who was out of is depth.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #567 on: January 16, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »
I agree with that, that summer we need 2-3 players in the £5-8m bracket instead we got a load of players that looked out of their depth, I'll forgive him for Okore because I think that was a good signing and we were unlucky with injuries but everyone else he signed that summer was a gamble that back fired.  We needed a left back, cover for the 2 wide forwards and another big unit in midfield to push Westwood and Sylla.  Then if we had anything left cover for Benteke.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #568 on: January 16, 2018, 02:26:15 PM »
I was surprised to hear the Stoke fans chanting his name last night, it'll probably the only match they do.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #569 on: January 16, 2018, 04:10:21 PM »

there’s not a lot in it though Brian with any of them
what a sorry bunch we have had to suffer over the years

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal