collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert (R)  (Read 211913 times)

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
Re: Paul Lambert talks about Villa again
« Reply #450 on: May 31, 2017, 08:07:26 PM »
oh paul just wants to be loved.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #451 on: May 31, 2017, 08:22:44 PM »
I don't think continental or British is any part of the issue. Southampton and West Ham have built up to where they are rather than tried to sustain at the top end and make the last leap like we were. Would we be happy with just above mid-table at best? Would we be satisfied with waiting each summer to see which of our players the bigger clubs were happy to leave us with? Right now as we sit midway down division two, yes, but within a season or two we'd be moaning about the lack of a five-year plan and punching below our weight.

We tend to want a team competing with Chelsea and a club matching Barcelona. They want to be in the Premier League. Clubs like Southampton, Watford, Albion (who used to be Swansea, Bolton, Wigan) don't know who their manager or first team will be from one season to the next but are clearly well-run, build teams rather than collect individuals and benefit from there being at least three worse sides each year. Eventually, there aren't three to keep them up. I don't think they offer a way to maintain and grow. Eventually, they yo-yo or drop and stop.

We thought Lambert was the answer. He wasn't, but that wasn't down to him being from Blighty.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #452 on: May 31, 2017, 09:22:11 PM »
Majority of clubs in world football constantly sell their best players.

Atletico Madrid in last 10 years have sold Torres, Forlan, Aguero, Falcao, Costa and imminently Griezmann at various stages of their climb from mid table La Liga side to title winners and regular champions league competitiors.

Key is always how you replace key players and we have a dismal record for that. I agree our club infrastructure was terrible generally under Lerner, giving key roles in the club to unqualified people and that generally transferred to the managerial side aswell.

I still think even when austerity hit there was a chance to regroup and come back after a year or two with smarter managerial appointments. Even in 2012 it was still only one poor season at the time (10/11 wasn't great but we still somehow finished 9th).

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #453 on: May 31, 2017, 11:09:46 PM »
oh paul just wants to be loved.

He could start by not trying to hoodwink people then.  The majority of us have never played the game professionally, but we know a garbage performance when we seen one.  The only thing worse than having to sit through a garbage performance is driving home from the game and hearing the manager of your team come on the radio and say "I thought we were great". 

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #454 on: June 01, 2017, 04:08:32 AM »
Ah yes.....who could forget our overwhelming sense of gratuity at battling to a 0-0 against Southampton that wonderful night.

Paul Lambert reflected on the 0-0 draw with Southampton and insisted: "That was a huge point."

After four straight defeats, Lambert said it was vital that Villa "stopped the bleeding."

And they did just that, with a solid, efficient performance against the Saints.

Lambert praised the players as they "stepped up the plate when questions were asked."

"I thought we were excellent in the second half. We gave as good as we got against a really good side. They are a really good football side.

"In the second half, we were excellent. Marc Albrighton and Gabby Agbonlahor were excellent. They were great.

"I am really pleased. It's been a really hard week.

"But as has documented the lads have been excellent for us.

"When you look at the way they played - and their determination - they really stepped up to the plate when questions were asked.

"I told them I was proud of them for what they did.

"We had to stop the run and get something.

"We gave a right good account of ourselves, especially in that second half. We stopped the bleeding. That was a huge point."

Lambert also praised the off-field impact of Gordon Cowans and Shay Given, who he revealed accepted his backroom staff invitation "within seconds."

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #455 on: June 01, 2017, 02:00:18 PM »
thank fuck we are never going to 'go again' with that nut ball.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #456 on: June 02, 2017, 04:46:51 PM »
Pretty sure it was 5 years ago today that he was confirmed as Villa manager.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #457 on: June 13, 2017, 02:19:10 AM »
What, someone who'd not managed for over a year and never in Blighty? Maybe we could have tempted the more successful Lyon manager Paul Le Guen. He had form as a poor replacement for Alex McLeish. I think in 20 years Remi Garde will be the manager whose name we all struggle to remember and Villa will still be his second most successful managerial stint.

I've just realised I don't know what Remi Garde sounds like. It's a sign of how disheartened I was during his tenure that I obviously didn't watch a single interview of his. I'm assuming he has a French accent but, for all I know, he could sound like Rab C. Nesbitt or Su Pollard.

Offline villabear

« Reply #458 on: December 21, 2017, 05:40:38 AM »
He's been at it again albeit talking about Wolves this time. "I'm pretty sure I'd have been up there too," Lambert told BBC WM.
"I knew if we could revamp it in the summertime and get the players in, indicated by the sort of money that they have now, we wouldn't have been far away.
"I knew the size of the club. The club is huge. They have great people there and brilliant supporters. Everything is going for them."

Blah, blah, blah. Get a job.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #459 on: December 21, 2017, 07:00:42 AM »
Him and O’Leary

Offline SO Villa

« Reply #460 on: December 21, 2017, 09:40:38 AM »
He's been at it again albeit talking about Wolves this time. "I'm pretty sure I'd have been up there too," Lambert told BBC WM.
"I knew if we could revamp it in the summertime and get the players in, indicated by the sort of money that they have now, we wouldn't have been far away.
"I knew the size of the club. The club is huge. They have great people there and brilliant supporters. Everything is going for them."

Blah, blah, blah. Get a job.

What did he say about Dortmund?

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #461 on: December 21, 2017, 12:05:38 PM »
Yesterday's nearly man, hoping to gather attention in today's football that is passing him by.

Offline postal

« Reply #462 on: December 21, 2017, 12:29:22 PM »
What did he say about Dortmund?

I had times when I couldn't understand what he said, regardless.  ;)

Offline nigel

« Reply #463 on: December 21, 2017, 05:53:27 PM »
In many ways he was hung out to dry by Lerner and Co.
There were several players he wanted to bring in but Lerner had shut his wallet and padlocked it shut.
I'm not defending him by any means, but, Lerner has to take the bulk of the blame. He stitched Reme Garde up too.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #464 on: December 21, 2017, 06:17:28 PM »
Lambert was nowhere near as badly treated on what he had to spend as he would have you believe.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal