collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Criticism Post-Liverpool: Over The Top & Factually Inaccurate  (Read 17224 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Aston Villa Criticism Post-Liverpool: Over The Top & Factually Inaccurate
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 03:04:55 PM »
You're just continuing the process of downgrading expectations to the degree where now a thumping should be expected as the norm in those type of games. I can't be having that.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 03:44:10 PM »
I've been a supporter for more years that I care to remember and, I've never seen a Villa squad as toothless as this one.

Sadly, I have to disagree with the OP as, people like Jamie Carragher should be neutral and, just telling it like it is without having rose coloured specs to look through. I agree with all his points, as much as it hurts me to say that and, everything  he said is nothing that a lot of our own supporters feel deep down.

As I say, it really grieves me to say any of the above. I would much rather like to say, things are not going well just now but, they will soon be put right - can't see it myself though. Hope I'm 100% wrong.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 03:46:59 PM »
Well Newcastle is not a team I would aspire to be like particularly. They are capable of gutless, gormless displays as well.

Plus, there is a difference between saying 'we have been driven into the ground by Lerner to the extent that thrashings by Liverpool are to be expected', which is realistic, and 'we deserve to be beaten by Liverpool so we should lie down and accept it', which is clearly not my stance.

Basically, you can't get a squad like ours to beat a squad like theirs by motivating them and setting them up in clever formations. 'Try harder' is not applicable here.

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »
In fairness Carragher has got a point. It always difficult to compare as we don't see enough of other team in depth but certainly from a Villa perspective I can not remember a more disgraceful performance in over 40 years of following us.

There is no excuse what so ever for that display, when you allow the opposition to bring the ball unopposed into our half and still not one player can make the effort to sprint 3-5 yards to close down then that to me say that says the team couldn't give a flying F*ck and were clearly to a man not trying. Totally and utterly unforgiveable

Offline Ormy Droid

• Oh I do like to be beside the seaside
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
I know it's impossible but you really shouldn't take what the pundits say too seriously. Their job is to spout hyperbole, so we are THE WORST PREMIER LEAGUE TEAM EVER!, even though the Derby, Wolves, Swindon teams were probably even worse, but they're not playing at the moment and can't be RIDICULED.

Similarly, this might be the WORST VILLA TEAM EVER!, though the one that dropped into the third must've been pretty bad, I didn't see them myself, but I did see a lot of the 87 vintage and they were bloody awful, but didn't get paid too much by current standards. So while they were crap, I can't quite bring myself to hate them like the current lot. David Norton wouldn't have photocopied and held up a picture of his Montego would he?

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 04:35:07 PM »
If we are largely stuck next season with the nucleus of the squad we have this season then we are in the shit. For a lot of championship sides playing us will be like a cup tie to them. Their players will raise their games against us.How many of our squad will raise their game when the chips are down ?

Offline supertom

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »
Derby in 08 were a genuinely poor side, hideously out of their depth. They tried hard but did not have any sort of quality to compete in this league.
Now we may be woefully short on quality but we've got a number of established Premiership players in our side and a few talent youngsters. We've also spent 50 odd million in the summer on players. The fact of the matter is, that we've shown no heart or desire for the vast majority of the season. The effort from many of the players, regardless of their ability, has been well below what's expected. No one seems to care. What of Mr Villa, Gabby? Horrible, horrible fucking c**t (that's being kind). Lescott had come in and shown a bit of form of late but that tweet bollocks shows he doesn't particularly give a toss. He's just coasting toward retirement or a cushty MLS move.

We're a little more comparable to Newcastle a few years back and the Sunderland side under McCarthy. Sides who should have done better given what was at their disposal. Sides were a lack of pride in the shirt, and players underperforming just hammered the nails in the coffin.

We're right up there with the worst sides to have shitted up this league and the attitude is perhaps the shittiest of all.

Fuck the fuckers. Pretty much every last one of the bastards. And as others mentioned, this lot have to rank as the crappiest, most detestable squad we've ever assembled.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 05:14:25 PM »
None of the sunderland team would get in the liverpool team either, but they drew 2-2. They didnt stroll around without a care in the world dreaming of driving home in their shiny new Bentley as soon as this pointless 90 minutes of 'work' was done.

Offline AV89

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 05:25:32 PM »
In fairness to Derby and Sunderland they were newly promoted clubs who were Ill equipped for the league.

We've been a top flight club for 3 decades.  It's inexcusable for us to be as ill prepared as we have become.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 05:32:56 PM »
The problem is once a couple stop putting the effort in, it is beyond the other players to make up for it. The others then become dispirited and it looks like they are not putting effort in as well.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 06:37:31 PM »
In all honesty I am completely fed up of excusing the team for this or that reason.
Playing opposition that on paper is better doesn't mean we've lost before we start. If this were the case we'd just predict correct scores every time.

I watched a Villa team stand off and admire from minute 1.
I watched a Villa team with no passion, desire or commitment.
I could pick anybody but  Ashley Westwood got a booking at 0-4 and was in the refs ear at 0-5 after Clynes tackle on Veretout. So where is this passion at 0-0??
A majority of the team gave up.

I would suggest that some of the team had lost that game even before a ball was kicked.

I'm not buying this "We'll cope with the Championship " argument. We are miles away from competing to get back with this squad.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 06:39:53 PM »
I'm not one of the sites pessimists,
 but I agree with Carragher more than I agree with the article sadly

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 06:40:30 PM »
In fairness to Derby and Sunderland they were newly promoted clubs who were Ill equipped for the league.

We've been a top flight club for 3 decades.  It's inexcusable for us to be as ill prepared as we have become.

Hear hear. It takes a unique kind of fuckwittery to relegate a club as big as Aston Villa. Our PL infrastructure has been hacked away for 6 seasons now and it's taken that long for it to finally crumble. We've been sabotaged by Randy Lerner.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 07:07:41 PM »
I don't agree that the first team to face Firmino, Sturridge and Coutinho were going to get a hiding at all.

and neither do I. In fact that statement is patently ridiculous.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »
I don't agree that the first team to face Firmino, Sturridge and Coutinho were going to get a hiding at all.

and neither do I. In fact that statement is patently ridiculous.

As well that the expectation should be that we get a hiding off Liverpool, what are we on about when there's feelings like that? Complete surrender, lying down like a mat. I'm a realist and I know we are shit but there's no fucking way I'd ever expect the Villa to take a gutless hammering from anyone and I certainly won't be talking up Firmino like he's some reborn Maradonna.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal